Liability of a Bike owner if rider involves in an accident

I am thinking of getting a bike so that whoever rents my condo can have the bike too. And on occasions when I'm back in Thailand, I can also use the bike.

So what if, say, the tenant gets involved in an accident ? As bike owner, what would be my liability ?

I think it's a bad idea but if you want to go with it, get a beater scooter with no book or registration so if it gets trashed just walk away from it.

I might have used the wrong word. I really meant to get a scooter, not a bike. I'm looking at getting a second hand scooter such as this:

honda-zoomerx-2014-1.jpg

Why risking the scooter getting abused and not serviced when needed? Folks can buy a Fino for say 10,000 B. And countless places rent them...

Q: Who would handle the security deposit etc.? Do you have a PM or caretaker?

Why risking the scooter getting abused and not serviced when needed? Folks can buy a Fino for say 10,000 B. And countless places rent them...

Q: Who would handle the security deposit etc.? Do you have a PM or caretaker?

The condo in question is in Pattaya, and most tenants are short-term.

A small scooter might hopefully tilt the balance in my favour with so many new condos up for rent :)

Why cause trouble for yourself !

Keep your rent low enough so that a tenant can rent a motorcycle from a person that specializes in motorcycle rentals

The problems with providing a vehicle don't just stop at liability. Go over to Tukcom on market day and watch all the motorcycles that are carted away by the police for one reason or another.

Do you want your motorcycle to be one of them

I think it's a bad idea but if you want to go with it, get a beater scooter with no book or registration so if it gets trashed just walk away from it.

And if it's a Thai that gets thrashed if the scooter ploughs into them?

If you're going to do it, I would go the opposite route.

1) The scooter has first class insurance (not expensive, probably 5k or so)

2) The leaser has to have a driving license valid for Thailand.

Otherwise I just wouldn't bother.