Retirement to Work Permit

In a nutshell I have been on one year visa extensions (for retirement purposes) for 12 years.

I have been offered a 1-3 year work contract in Thailand and realise that myself/Company probably can't apply for a WP using this Visa.

So I believe I have 2 options:

1) To renounce my current visa and apply at an Embassy for a Business Visa to facilitate applying for a WP.

(If I did go this route, what documentation would I have to give the Embassy where I apply, and could I do this while still having my current one year visa).

2) Have my One year visa (based on retirement) changed to a one year marriage visa (which I am eligible for) and would at least keep me continuous with one year visas. I believe we can apply for a WP while holding a Marriage visa. The timing for the job and renewal date of the one year visa would work out well if I took this option.

Of course I may be very wrong, or there might be more options, so all help very gratefully accepted.,,Thank you

Edited by thainet

1. You would need a work permit application done and a approval letter for it to get the non-b visa at any nearby embassy or consulate. To apply for the work permit you would probably have to go out for visa exempt entry or a tourist visa since most work permit offices will not accept the application with a an extension based upon retirement.

You do not currently have a visa. If you left the country without a re-entry permit yout extension would no longer be valid.

2. You can only change to the extension based upon marriage when your current extension expires. If not you would need to go out for a single entry non-o visa and re-enter the country. And then do the extension based upon marriage. You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or an extension based upon marriage. Doing this would be the best option because your extension would not be tied to your job.

Gents thanks for the quick replies.

Yes realise it is 'extension of stay' but easier to type 'visa'.(finger challenged).

Yes I do have my multiple re-entry, so no probs there.

But I think ( as you both advised) the extension of stay based on changing to Marriage, is my best bet. As I said, the timing for renewal and WP application will coincide very well.

Only thing is of course is the paperwork for the marriage extension...retirement extension 10 mins (will miss that).