Don't you just love the Thais

edd

This thread is hilarious !!

Almost as funny as the guy that got covered in Poo on Walking Street.

Shoe-Laces cheesy.gif ....... or lack of

Not sure what you find funny? That sometimes people need to buy replacement laces?

Funny that somebody is not able to buy laces in Thailand. It's on sell at every market. Give me your address,tell me about colour and tomorrow morning I'll sent it to you for free. Because it costs only 10-20 baht. But I think you're just a troll.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you find funny? That sometimes people need to buy replacement laces?

Funny that somebody is not able to buy laces in Thailand. It's on sell at every market. Give me your address,tell me about colour and tomorrow morning I'll sent it to you for free. Because it costs only 10-20 baht. But I think you're just a troll.

I don't care whether you think I am a troll. I think you are very rude. Do you care? I didn't think so.

I am set for laces as I bring them from the U.S. when I visit.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't care whether you think I am a troll. I think you are very rude. Do you care? I didn't think so.

Cheers.

I guess I was really a little rude.I'm sorry.

Cheers.

I really wish we'd see more of this here... Well done.

Cheers.

Where is the fun in that?

I can not believe my innocent post which was not intended as offensive to Chinese people has been pulled as it mentioned Chin*y (which take-a-ways across the UK are referred to, and not in a racsist kinda way)

Chinky is a racist label. The fact you don't consider it offensive or racist is completely irrelevant, although somewhat telling.

I'd bet that you don't go up to Chinese people you don't know and start calling them 'chinky' - do you?

A post commenting on moderation has been removed. Yes, the use of the term Chinky is a slur and in violation of this forum rule:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

As the use of "Faggots" was pointed out, it is an English ground beef dish and related to this and in this connotation is not in violation of the above forum rule.

Cheers.

Where is the fun in that?

It's okay to have the fun walloping the metaphorical crap out of each other. It's even fun to watch (up to a point), and maybe even poke the fire a little from the cheap seats here in front of the keyboard.

Adults shake hands and make up when it's over, win- lose- or draw. Doesn't seem to happen much here. It's nice when it does.

Adults shake hands and make up when it's over, win- lose- or draw. Doesn't seem to happen much here. It's nice when it does.

Words to live by. Well said.

This forum isn't real life. I can't think of many things more trivial than a fake flare up about shoe laces. It so doesn't matter ... people being "adults" about it or whatever.

Words to live by. Well said.

This forum isn't real life. I can't think of many things more trivial than a fake flare up about shoe laces. It so doesn't matter ... people being "adults" about it or whatever.

Understood, and agree for the most parts. I was complimenting the sentiment of that statement I quoted rather than that particular situation of the shoelace shenanigans (hope this is understandable!) :)

My experiences make me laugh when you change the order on something, just a little bit and they are all confused and say : "Can not" or "Do not have"

Then you get the manager over and explain what you need or want and the manager finally understands and say: "Can do" or "Yes we have that"

Happens all the time with staff or workers who do not know their job well enough or what it is the company provides.......but often it is based on providing something the same, same... all the time..... and when you ask them for a variation they immediately say: "Can not" or "Do not have"....but they can and or they do...but you have changed their routine and their routine thinking...so they react by saying: "Can not" or "No have.

My Thai is pretty good now so I have learned that the way you explain things to them or ask about something....... if not said correctly and said in the manner that they are used to ( as in Thai people talking Thai people )then you leave them confused at first because your accent is off or the way you use the various words that you do know, to try and explain something, your limited Thai language skills leaves them confused....at least at first ...until you re-explain everything or talk to someone who can make a decision...because the underlings do not want to make a decision that they would be responsible for if they make any mistakes.

Cheers

A lot of the Thai people I know (in fact ALL the Thai people I know) just say they don't like beef because of the smell.

Can't say I blame them. I have to hold my nose to cook up ground beef here for spaghetti sauce. Never had that issue back home with ground beef.

In fact, I binned the first few batches, thinking they had gone off. But when it happened about the 3rd or 4th time (and from different stores), I just kept cooking.

Same problem with ground pork's smell, but the ground pork back home stinks too.

I don't think they bleed or hang the meat....just hack it to bits in unrecogniseable pieces with a machete

I bought a dustbuster from Electrolux which came with 4 filters. Eventually the filters wore out so I went back to get more. The girl said "sorry no have buy new get 4 free."

The worst was when I bought a sharp TV in the Onut district and the remote crapped out. Same response "No Have, buy new".

I bought a dustbuster from Electrolux which came with 4 filters. Eventually the filters wore out so I went back to get more. The girl said "sorry no have buy new get 4 free."

The worst was when I bought a sharp TV in the Onut district and the remote crapped out. Same response "No Have, buy new".

Having a similar problem...http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/829399-vacuum-cleaner-bags-in-bkk/

At the local market new remotes are around 200 baht if my memory is correct. You know the markets that set up three or so times a week. I don't know where they are in your area but I've bought two remotes for my cable box in 3 years.

Go to the grocery in the USA and order mince meat and you will get the jar listed below. I however know the difference because I am a seasoned traveler and don't have any problems ordering food in Thailand. I don't see everything in Thailand through the ethnocentric eyes of a Western first time out of the country newby.

Now I entered both ground meat and minced meat in Google translate to translate it to my language and, however Google is a US company, both times I got the exact same results.

So I think it's just another case of an American trying to force his view on the rest of the world

So you have learned something - good. Not everything is the way it is in your country.

Sup is the word for ground (beef) or ground (pork) in Thailand. Beef (in Thai you can look it up) followed by sup or Pork (in Thai you can look it up) followed by the word sup.

In America you say "ground beef" because mincemeat is a sweet filling for making mincemeat pies at Christmas.

If you travel much to America or Thailand you would have known this. biggrin.png

And how's about you learn something new , the mincemeat in said Xmas pies was at one time "Minced" meat ie offal, and these pies originated in the UK long before the US even existed

Go to the grocery in the USA and order mince meat and you will get the jar listed below. I however know the difference because I am a seasoned traveler and don't have any problems ordering food in Thailand. I don't see everything in Thailand through the ethnocentric eyes of a Western first time out of the country newby.

Now I entered both ground meat and minced meat in Google translate to translate it to my language and, however Google is a US company, both times I got the exact same results.

So I think it's just another case of an American trying to force his view on the rest of the world

So you have learned something - good. Not everything is the way it is in your country.

Sup is the word for ground (beef) or ground (pork) in Thailand. Beef (in Thai you can look it up) followed by sup or Pork (in Thai you can look it up) followed by the word sup.

In America you say "ground beef" because mincemeat is a sweet filling for making mincemeat pies at Christmas.

If you travel much to America or Thailand you would have known this. biggrin.png

And how's about you learn something new , the mincemeat in said Xmas pies was at one time "Minced" meat ie offal, and these pies originated in the UK long before the US even existed

Since my family is from the UK hardly new to me but I was referring to buying mince in America or Thailand.

In America it is ground and Thailand it is sup.

I find many people from both the UK and USA have a difficult time adjusting to Thailand and feel some sense of superiority in English usage.

It was my intent to point out that mince is a word used in both the USA and UK but with different meanings.

The ingredients for the modern mince pie can be traced to the return of Europeancrusaders from the Holy Land. Middle Eastern methods of cooking, which sometimes combined meats, fruits and spices, were popular at the time.

So, actually mince pie comes from the Middle East.

A North American filling recipe published in 1854 includes chopped neat's tongue, beef suet, blood raisins, currants, mace, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar, apples, lemons, brandy and orange peel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

Hopefully the above has expanded your understanding of mince pie.tongue.png

A North American filling recipe published in 1854 includes chopped neat's tongue, beef suet, blood raisins, currants, mace, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar, apples, lemons, brandy and orange peel.

Hopefully the above has expanded your understanding of mince pie.

All kidding aside, this is the first I realized there's actually meat in mincemeat pie. I've had it occasionally in the US, and could not tell from the taste.

I figured "mincemeat" was some kind of WWII rationing euphemism for "no meat on offer today, but we'll grind up some fruits and veggies and call it mincemeat".

Hopefully the above has expanded your understanding of mince pie.

All kidding aside, this is the first I realized there's actually meat in mincemeat pie. I've had it occasionally in the US, and could not tell from the taste.

I figured "mincemeat" was some kind of WWII rationing euphemism for "no meat on offer today, but we'll grind up some fruits and veggies and call it mincemeat".

The "mince" in mincemeat comes from the Middle English mincen, and the Old French mincier both traceable to the Vulgar Latin minutiare and Latin minutia meaning smallness.

Most Americans stopped putting meat in mincemeat pie after the turn of the century so my granny said.

Edited by lostoday

The "mince" in mincemeat comes from the Middle English mincen, and the Old French mincier both traceable to the Vulgar Latin minutiare and Latin minutia meaning smallness.

Most Americans stopped putting meat in mincemeat pie after the turn of the century so my granny said.

See? You just don't learn this kind of stuff unless you get off the porch and leave the farm once in a while.

Edited by impulse

My understanding was that mincemeat is the content of what what we call mince pie (and not necessarily containing meat, but a mixture of things like fruit, spices etc), whereas minced is the process of cutting something into very small pieces. So minced meat would be different than mincemeat (which may also contain actual meat, but not usually).

Oh we had such laughs in Thailand ... never thought I'd be sat in front of a computer discussing disambiguation of the English language.

Edited by Shiver

My understanding was that mincemeat is the content of what what we call mince pie (and not necessarily containing meat, but a mixture of things like fruit, spices etc), whereas minced is the process of cutting something into very small pieces. So minced meat would be different than mincemeat (which may also contain actual meat, but not usually).

Oh we had such laughs in Thailand ... never thought I'd be sat in front of a computer discussing disambiguation of the English language.

The word mincemeat is an adaptation of an earlier term minced meat, meaning finely chopped meat. Meat was also a term for food in general, not only animal flesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat