Khao Yai now full price for farang with driving license?

wantan

Wanted to go thru Khao Yai today and they asked more than 400 Baht for entry fee and bike fee. I showed my bike license but they told me that "the boss (from Khao Yai) has decided to stop this rule" and now farang have to pay full price even with driving license. Rule changed 1-2 months ago they told me.

Someone here who knows more?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this at http://wikitravel.org/en/Khao_Yai_National_Park :

Adults: 400 baht (2015 fees). Note: In the past foreigners living in Thailand were able to enter for the Thai Residents fee if showing a Thai work permit, driving license or student card. However, from March 2015 these documents are no longer accepted, only a true Thai ID Card or Thai Passport allows one to enter for the Thai Resident fee.

So it seems to be true what they told me. Very sad. Unacceptable for me!

This is simply outrageous.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of reasoning there is behind such a move, apart from the obvious "Farang have money, help Thailand".

I think I will use that number for complaints for the first time (1111).

So sad..., goodbye Khao Yai sad.png

This is simply outrageous.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of reasoning there is behind such a move, apart from the obvious "Farang have money, help Thailand".

I think I will use that number for complaints for the first time (1111).

So sad..., goodbye Khao Yai sad.png

So did i today. Bye, Khao Yai. As they insisted on getting full price i turned around and rode 100km detour to get back to Bangkok from the nothern entry of Khao Yai. I will not pay full price. I already pay my tax every month.

Adults: 400 baht (2015 fees). Note: In the past foreigners living in Thailand were able to enter for the Thai Residents fee if showing a Thai work permit, driving license or student card. However, from March 2015 these documents are no longer accepted, only a true Thai ID Card or Thai Passport allows one to enter for the Thai Resident fee.

it's unacceptable for ALL of us mate, but they've got us by the 'short and curlies', if all farangs stopped going, if only for a little while, maybe, just maybe, they would have a rethink....(did i just think that out loud) i'm holding out anyway....

The thing is with these places, when there is a guide telling you about stuff, its only the Thais mainly that can understand it all, and they get it cheaper...(ok, who's the first to say "learn Thai then")

I do a little, but not well enough....i'll get my coat

You make more money than the average Thai.Maybe everything in Thailand should cost more for foreigners then it

Would feel more normal.If you want to play be prepared to pay.I don't pay attention to prices in Thailand.I mean so

Many things are so much cheaper than from where I'm from that if there's A Thai price and A foreigner price so be it.

What kind of reasoning is that?

There are plenty of Thais who earn more than I do, but they'll still pay 40Baht. Not every farang here earns top wages.

Fact is, it's an arbitrary pricing and there's just no logical reason why a foreigner who's been living here for years should pay 10x more than a Thai.

But please, go ahead, bend down and don't forget to say thank you.

Boycott all nonsense. When your whiffer tells you that you are getting shafted, just turn around and run in the other direction. Fair is fair. And this is not fair. It is one thing for them to charge tourists the full price, but if you can prove you are a resident, there is no justification. Where is the man when we need him?

I don't think we have anything to be upset about as foreigners being charged 10 times the Thai price to enter a national park in Thailand. It is perfectly fair. Because, after all, I know for sure that the Thais, when they go to visit a national park outside of Thailand like say Yosemite, Zion, or The Grand Canyon for example, that the Thais will have no problem at all paying 10 times the price as everyone else to enter those parks. Just ask any local. I am sure they will explain to you that they are totally comfortable with this mutual arrangement because fair is fair.

I don't think we have anything to be upset about as foreigners being charged 10 times the Thai price to enter a national park in Thailand. It is perfectly fair. Because, after all, I know for sure that the Thais, when they go to visit a national park outside of Thailand like say Yosemite, Zion, or The Grand Canyon for example, that the Thais will have no problem at all paying 10 times the price as everyone else to enter those parks. Just ask any local. I am sure they will explain to you that they are totally comfortable with this mutual arrangement because fair is fair.

I agree but 10 x 0 = 0 , most places in the U.S. Don't charge anyone anything

I agree but 10 x 0 = 0 , most places in the U.S. Don't charge anyone anything

Oh, sorry, didn't realize that. Well then, I guess they will just have to pay more to visit national landmarks around the world too. Afterall, The Grand Palace in Bangkok charges 500 Baht for foreigners and is free for Thais. So I am sure Thais will be happy to pay 10x more than everyone else to visit for exmaple the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Acropolis In Athens, Statue of Liberty in New York, etc.

Also, the 10X entrance fee applies to any Thais who might be living in Paris, New York, or Athens for example, regardless of whether or not they are just tourists there or are in fact living there, paying taxes and are part of the system. This is because, and as we know, they would never stand for any form of double standards where resident foreigners in Thailand might be charged 10X times without resident Thais living overseas being charged the same.

Also, the 10X entrance fee applies to any Thais who might be living in Paris, New York, or Athens for example, regardless of whether or not they are just tourists there or are in fact living there, paying taxes and are part of the system. This is because, and as we know, they would never stand for any form of double standards where resident foreigners in Thailand might be charged 10X times without resident Thais living overseas being charged the same.

What the <deleted> are you babbling?

Boycott all nonsense. When your whiffer tells you that you are getting shafted, just turn around and run in the other direction. Fair is fair. And this is not fair. It is one thing for them to charge tourists the full price, but if you can prove you are a resident, there is no justification. Where is the man when we need him?

Bangkok?

Over a year ago, I used to kill time by going to the Pattaya Floating Market. It was always free when showing Thai DL. Last week they told me 200 baht, Thai DL is no longer valid for entry. Checked another gate, just to be sure. Yes, 200 baht. BUT, you then go inside, and they take your photo, and make you a VIP card, so you never have to pay again. I did not have a problem with this, except they do not automatically tell you about the VIP card. You have to investigate. Lucky that I speak Thai, because they did not speak English, so they could not tell anyone about the VIP card in English.

You make more money than the average Thai.Maybe everything in Thailand should cost more for foreigners then it

Would feel more normal.If you want to play be prepared to pay.I don't pay attention to prices in Thailand.I mean so

Many things are so much cheaper than from where I'm from that if there's A Thai price and A foreigner price so be it.

Stockholm syndrome.

It's the same thing all over Thailand. From real estate over food to national parks. When revenue is down or people don't buy whatever you have on offer, you jack the price up to make up for the lost revenue should you be able to sell. Especially for farangs because we are all rich - or so I heard. And that of course further disincentivizes any potential buyer. But somehow people don't get the last part. Oh well, they'll sooner or later see where this leads.

I'm waiting for the thai-foreigner split gasoline pumps with different prices.

Thinking about it, maybe I'll start a startup business creating a special credit card that foreigners would get upon crossing immigration, linked to their own CC but it automatically will charge 2x the price and a weekly 10% interest fee on overdraft. Local businesses would then only accept that special VIP credit card. Oh shit, forgot. I can't own a business here. Bummer!

Any place which affects me in regard to illegal double pricing i simply just dont enter.

Any place which affects me in regard to illegal double pricing i simply just dont enter.

Agree. Usually i give a damn about it and do not enter. But in this case i am really annoyed. I am visiting Khao Yai for years now and i spent a lot of money for renting rooms there. I never said a word about their substandard rooms they rent to visitors for high prices. I never said a word when there was no gas for heating the water in winter so that i had to take some very cold showers morning and evening. I know they dont have that much money and so i accepted it. But i will not accept an entry fee that is 10 times higher as for thai people. Thats some form of discrimination.

I believe in reciprocity but the USA don't have the balls for that.

If I was in charge, I would tell Thailand: "You can do anything you want, charge whatever you want, restrict citizenship, land ownership, double pricing, barriers to owning a business etc, and we, sir, will do exactly the same. All Thais who visit or live in the U.S. will be subject to the same laws and restrictions that you impose on our citizens in Thailand"

I believe in reciprocity but the USA don't have the balls for that.

If I was in charge, I would tell Thailand: "You can do anything you want, charge whatever you want, restrict citizenship, land ownership, double pricing, barriers to owning a business etc, and we, sir, will do exactly the same. All Thais who visit or live in the U.S. will be subject to the same laws and restrictions that you impose on our citizens in Thailand"

It's not a question of balls, rather 'who gives a <deleted>?'

But when you are in charge I'm confident things will be fine.

Edited by papa al

I guess we will have to wait for the government to change for the dual pricing to change. All of the dual pricing is a mistake, resident foreigner or not.

In the short term, the move will pay off even if 9 out of 10 ripped off foreigners refuse, which is to say, it will pay off, stupid as it is.

Long term effects of making Thailand a worse place to visit is something that should probably be measured as a percentage of the marketing budget of the TAT. Even if it is a minuscule amount more advertising they have to do to compensate, there is no way it ends up a cash positive.

Foreigners turning around and leaving I think will have an effect.

Edited by Ex Machina

I guess we will have to wait for the government to change for the dual pricing to change. All of the dual pricing is a mistake, resident foreigner or not.

In the short term, the move will pay off even if 9 out of 10 ripped off foreigners refuse, which is to say, it will pay off, stupid as it is.

Long term effects of making Thailand a worse place to visit is something that should probably be measured as a percentage of the marketing budget of the TAT. Even if it is a minuscule amount more advertising they have to do to compensate, there is no way it ends up a cash positive.

Foreigners turning around and leaving I think will have an effect.

Seems like your paragraph 2 directly contradicts paragraph 4.

Paragraph 3... incomprehensible to me.