Khao Yai now full price for farang with driving license?

wantan

I got surprised by this when we went to Khao Yai a few weeks back.

At least its only Khao Yai, and not a nationwide directive from above.

Surely its only a matter of time before everywhere starts cancelling the D.L. / W.P. concessions......

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear.. Just because of 400 thb..,

I'm inclined to agree. If you live here you learn to live with some inconveniences and annoyances, but it's really not worth getting all upset by them. Mai pen rai, or just don't go there.

Exactly!

Simply vile racism, wouldn't get away with it in Europe. I boycot these places, there are plenty of other things to do - as well as other countries in SEA that are starting to look more attractive.

I wouldnt call it racism, but discrimination fits perfectly.

Simply vile racism, wouldn't get away with it in Europe. I boycot these places, there are plenty of other things to do - as well as other countries in SEA that are starting to look more attractive.

I wouldnt call it racism, but discrimination fits perfectly.

Yes, not racist but certainly discriminatory. Nothing new there - certain groups of people throughout the world have had to put up with discrimination for centuries! Nothing different about Thailand.

For those of us who live near the park, like myself, this represents a ridiculous toll for use of the only road directly across the mountains. Alternative routes between Pak Chong and Prachinburi are very long detours indeed. (One has to pay the full park price just for road usage, even if not visiting the park - no biggie at Thai rates, but ridiculous at 400 baht).

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

For those of us who live near the park, like myself, this represents a ridiculous toll for use of the only road directly across the mountains. Alternative routes between Pak Chong and Prachinburi are very long detours indeed. (One has to pay the full park price just for road usage, even if not visiting the park - no biggie at Thai rates, but ridiculous at 400 baht).

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

If you need this road to go to work or go shopping, I agree 400 thb is a crazy amount to pay on a weekly/daily basis. But if you take this road once in a while with your big bike because it has some nice twisties not to far from Bangkok, 400 thb isn't THAT bad. Edited by Nickymaster

Found this at http://wikitravel.org/en/Khao_Yai_National_Park :

Adults: 400 baht (2015 fees). Note: In the past foreigners living in Thailand were able to enter for the Thai Residents fee if showing a Thai work permit, driving license or student card. However, from March 2015 these documents are no longer accepted, only a true Thai ID Card or Thai Passport allows one to enter for the Thai Resident fee.

So it seems to be true what they told me. Very sad. Unacceptable for me!

Any place which affects me in regard to illegal double pricing i simply just dont enter.

Fair enough.

• 1 month later...

So, to confirm, this is still in affect, they would't let me in today and I showed them driving licence, work permit and Thai workplace ID.

Personally i think it is f**cked up, we pay taxes, invest money, spend money here, some of us have kids who are Thai. It isn't about the money but the principle.

Today I didn't go in, just went back and took the long route around Wang Nam Kaew

I can confirm that this is the case with the waterfalls/national parks in Phang Nga as well.

A Thai driving licence does not exempt you from paying the full farang price.

Maybe it is nation-wide?

I am also angry and sad about it, I drive a pick-up truck when wife & kid goes with me and still I pay X10 times more than a Thai in a Mercedes Benz, not fair at all.

It's must be somebody that manage the Parks in Thailand that don't like foreigners or they just have general rules for non Thais, don't know but would really like to find out.

I am also angry and sad about it, I drive a pick-up truck when wife & kid goes with me and still I pay X10 times more than a Thai in a Mercedes Benz, not fair at all.

It's must be somebody that manage the Parks in Thailand that don't like foreigners or they just have general rules for non Thais, don't know but would really like to find out.

They're was a thread about around 6 months ago

It's nothing to do with the owners of the Parks dislike of farangs

It's going to be applied on all national and cultural heritages and exhibits from now on until someone decides it was a silly idea and cancels it but probably won't be this government...

if your riding with thais in your group just send the thai in to buy all the tickets ,you obviously need a dark visor and not be riding in your shorts and flip flops for this to work.done it in on a trip earlier in the year.

its happening all over thailand now ,down in krabi if you take a private boat to the islands you actually have to pay 400 bht if you want to get off the boat and onto the beach......crazy but tit.

Edited by taninthai

So, to confirm, this is still in affect, they would't let me in today and I showed them driving licence, work permit and Thai workplace ID.

Personally i think it is f**cked up, we pay taxes, invest money, spend money here, some of us have kids who are Thai. It isn't about the money but the principle.

Today I didn't go in, just went back and took the long route around Wang Nam Kaew

That showed them.

coffee1.gif

You make more money than the average Thai.Maybe everything in Thailand should cost more for foreigners then it

Would feel more normal.If you want to play be prepared to pay.I don't pay attention to prices in Thailand.I mean so

Many things are so much cheaper than from where I'm from that if there's A Thai price and A foreigner price so be it.

Nonsense! My wife earns 5 times what I do. If you can afford to drive the distance to KY, then the price should be fixed for all!

OP, thanks for the heads-up. I'll be avoiding this place which I've visited and contributed to many times.

Edited by BBJ

I pay 30% income tax, this is more than the combined tax from a whole village ( probably city, as most Thai don't pay income tax). Maybe we earn more but we also pay more taxes. So it is not about the 400thb as some posts suggest but about the principle. With the same logic, the government can increase x10 toll fees for highways as well. There are many many more rich Thais than rich farangs in Thailand so charging a 10 fold for non-Thais is indeed discriminating.

Whats interesting about this is, if this kind of practice was going on in the UK or elsewhere similar, the people/foreigner made to pay more would be protesting on the streets of the British Embassy until changes were made. Additionally, they would probably be protesting to their own tourism board claiming they were supporting racism and discrimination indirectly toward their own people by sending them to such countries.

We westerners have become to complacent caring only about our own four walls instead of the bigger picture. It's only 400bht, won't hurt my pocket!

Haven't we already bent-over backwards in the UK!

Edited by BBJ

I wouldn't pay 10x for any Thai attractions, most of them are shit anyway

I don't even attended the Thai boxing because of it, and I would go weekly but going with a Thai gf and being told you farang, you go to another entrance to pay 10x more etc for worse seats is just too much... They can stick it

if your riding with thais in your group just send the thai in to buy all the tickets ,you obviously need a dark visor and not be riding in your shorts and flip flops for this to work.done it in on a trip earlier in the year.

Yes, me too .. I always send the co-pilot, while I stand back and keep out of the way.

400B is 400B.

Works on the Ko Lanta ferry, visor down, gloves on, give the ticket seller 20B ( local price of 18B for a bike + rider ) then let the sound of the Yoshi drown out her cries for double.

You can see the ticket seller bobbing about to catch a look round the dual dark visor.

That showed them.

coffee1.gif

And what do you suggest? Paying? Self immolation? At least I actually go out riding :)

What I have done is written to the head of Khao Yai and the Government Parks Dept., I figure if enough of us start complaining, well, you never know...