Ferries to Koh Larn - Are you scared?

Rorynorway

In the last 48 hours, there's been a sinking and a fire on 2 vessels respectively.

While there are car, train, air, and boat accidents every day, these 2 events not isolates incidents.

I've been to Koh Larn many times. Other than the body odor of the tall blonde lady next to me, I haven't had any problems.

Will you cease your travels to Koh Larn?

Edited by Rorynorway

Re: The sinking of the boat with the officials from the Buri Ram Court on board, not sure if any of them actually even got their feet wet hopefully they were saved before the boat sank.

know nothing of the fire incident,

There has been many ferry accidents and sinking's, over the years so personally I and my family would not board a ferry,without a personal life jacket allocation!

Watch out for over crowding,which means there will not be enough life jackets to go around.

If you're a decent swimmer, from the half-way point both destinations are within swimming distance. Just don't stay below decks.

Best advice so far, stay outside so you can jump in the water quickly if she sinks/burn.

The are lots of small vessels around so if you can keep yourself afloat for 10-20 min you should be okay.

Phone and camera (if carried) will be destroyed, well better them than your life.

No I am not scared taking any ferry in Thailand or SEA for that matter but take your precautions, quite a few ferries in the Philippines and Indonesia sinks each year but they got thousands of islands there and likely thousands of ferries too and they are often overcrowded so not enough life west to go around.

I prefer the speed boat. Typically split it with a friend when I go. But I have taken the ferries three or four times. I am an excellent swimmer. Although I fully recognize I am not in the strong shape I was years ago when on the swimming and dive teams, scout lifeguard etc. I am prepared to jump overboard at a moment's notice. I am highly confident I can float and tread water long enough for help to arrive, especially since I wouldn't be on the ferry if the weather was bad, gulf was extremely choppy etc.

"While there are car, train, air, and boat accidents every day, these 2 events not isolates incidents."

A slight exaggeration perhaps. No, it wouldn't deter me. No more than the road accidents stop me from driving, walking or cycling on the roads....anywhere.

I have been using these ferries frequently for more than 10 years.

All of them now carry sufficient life jackets, and a week or two back we were told very clearly and several times to put on the jackets. Some did, some didn't.

Up to them, but yes the best choice for those who are in any way worried about it, is to don one of the life jackets and sit near along the edge of the boat (downstairs). If she goes down, step off, float and relax (well, and maybe fight off those who didn't don the jackets).

You won't wait long in those waters; there are speedboats all around as well as other ferries, and they will all pitch in to take care of you.

Relax, have a good time.

TL

Incidentally, neither of these incidents appears to have occurred on the passenger ferries that the posters on this thread are referring to.

One had a tour of Chinese and one a bunch of Buriram officials as I understand it. They will be chartered and run by someone else.

I know the several families who own and run the Pattaya/Naban/Pattaya ferry services and they are well-to-do and take care of their boats better than many.

That said, accidents can happen too. If anyone is worried, that's probably a smart thing. The sea is a dangerous place and can turn nasty at any time, boats sinking or otherwise. Take the reasonable precautions and you should be fine. Enjoy the island and the people. It'll be worth your while.

TL

I'm confused -- an OP yesterday said a ferry sank after leaving Koh Lan. Today everyone is concerned about ferry safety to/from Koh Larn. TVF is certainly a place for variety. Anyone for Koh Lahn tomorrow ? Perhaps someone from Wales to contribute Koh Llan.

Edited by tigermonkey

Of course I will stop all travel to Koh Larn. As soon as I hear something bad happen in Thailand I refuse to go to that place and tell the world what a shithole this is. You must stop coming here because bad things could happen. Stop coming to Thailand, there could be a bad thing happen!!!

There has been many ferry accidents and sinking's, over the years so personally I and my family would not board a ferry,without a personal life jacket allocation!

Watch out for over crowding,which means there will not be enough life jackets to go around.

I would contend that if you don't have a life jacket in your possession when the poop hits the fan, you won't have one on when the ordeal is over. And if your kids aren't wearing them when bad stuff happens, they won't be wearing them when it's all over.

Look around next time you're on a boat and ask yourself who, exactly, is going to distribute the life jackets in a calm, orderly manner when the fricking boat is sinking- even if there are plenty on board?

Sometimes, these sinkings take just moments, especially in the case of a collision. Finding and putting on an unfamiliar life jacket and securing all the straps takes longer than you have.

And don't think for a moment that another panicked passenger (or crew) won't rip the one out of your little kid's hands if they thought it would save their own skin. Kids need to be wearing theirs.

Big C and TESCO sell them for $10-20. I have mine- and they're with me whenever I get on a ferry.

Edited by impulse

I'm confused -- an OP yesterday said a ferry sank after leaving Koh Lan. Today everyone is concerned about ferry safety to/from Koh Larn. TVF is certainly a place for variety. Anyone for Koh Lahn tomorrow ? Perhaps someone from Wales to contribute Koh Llan.

And some fell on stoney ground! thumbsup.gif

Absolutely stay away from the ferry, busses, cars, motorcycles. Just stay in your condo, never leave, do not go outside, Thailand is too dangerous to leave your apartment.

Or, boink all the hookers you can find- without a condom. I'm sure hoping there's a happy medium there somewhere.

In the case of the ferries, I'd suggest life jackets and staying close to an exit.

For the hookers, I got nuthin'.

Edited by impulse

I came one time, probably about 12 years ago and the water level was very low. When the ferry got to the pier at Koh Larn we all had to climb up onto the roof of the ferry and a ladder up onto the pier. Too many went up on to the roof at once and the ferry developed a serious tilt. That was a bit scary.

I have been using these ferries frequently for more than 10 years.

All of them now carry sufficient life jackets, and a week or two back we were told very clearly and several times to put on the jackets. Some did, some didn't.

Up to them, but yes the best choice for those who are in any way worried about it, is to don one of the life jackets and sit near along the edge of the boat (downstairs). If she goes down, step off, float and relax (well, and maybe fight off those who didn't don the jackets).

You won't wait long in those waters; there are speedboats all around as well as other ferries, and they will all pitch in to take care of you.

Relax, have a good time.

TL

"All of them now carry sufficient life jackets"

Really? You ever see anyone with a clicker counting the people, relative to life vests or safe boating capacity?

I have taken the boat to Koh Larn a couple of times.

The last time on the return trip the boat seemed overcrowded. The sea was very rough and I honestly thought that it was going to capsize.

I swore to myself that I would never take that voyage again!

I gave up going to Koh Larn years ago as getting on and off the ferry at Koh Larn is potentially very dangerous. Why they can't have moving walkways, with 2 handrails is beyond me. These are not expensive and are easy to manufacture.

Don't know if anyone has seen the front page of the BKK Post today.

All about the 40tons of feted rubbish that is building up on the island everyday.

I would suggest that it's not the boats you should be worried about, it's catching some sort of Virus/food poisoning.