Rohingya migrants protest food ban in living quarters

webfact

Rohingya migrants protest food ban in living quarters

6-2-2015-12-06-30-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- Rohingya migrants, mostly women and children, blacked out electricity, smashed glass windows of their living quarters to protest Thai authorities' banning them to take food to eat inside.

The 100 migrants who included 35 categorised as victims of human trafficking went on rampage at Ban Srisurat occupation training centre in Tambon Khun Thalae of Muang district, Surat Thani province which was turned into a temporary holding centre for the migrants.

They smashed glass windows to protest ban by Thai authorities to allow them taking good to eat inside their living quartets.

Alerted by the incident, Surat Thani deputy governor Vichavut Chinto and Surat Thani police chief Pol Maj Gen Apichart Boonsrirot led about 50 police to the centre to negotiate with the protesting migrants, and keep peace and order.

The protesters then proposed they be sent to resettle in Malaysia, not the United States as they were earlier told.

The protest ended two hours later after authorities were able to separate five active protesters for questioning.

Barbed wire fences were erected around the living quarter to prevent them from escaping and more guards were also deployed.

Authorities said the centre holds 94 migrants, mostly women and children. Among them are 35 categorised as victims of human trafficking, while the rest are illegal migrants.

They said the Rohingya migrants have in the past tried to escape from the centre several times.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rohingya-migrants-protest-food-ban-in-living-quarters

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-02

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reasons for this. Everything from sanitation to making sure food isn't used inside to barter or some other form of control. They have their food controlled as in 99% of every detainee on Earth.

send them to Syria

I'm going to step out of the box for a moment, apart from all the mistreatment these people are suffering and the abuse by certain people who are exploiting them for money - would they honestly be happy anywhere, I for one would not like them living next door to me

See, here a few days and instead of grateful causing trouble and moaning already.

I'm shocked, thought you would be really pleased they don't wish to be resettled in a Western country

It would be nice to know, why they are not allowed to eat "inside"...

But don't bother for details, make sure that it is made clear, they "protested" and smashed something!

That's all we need to know!

If they don't want to be there and do not appreciate what is being done for them send them home, I have said it before Muslim, Islamic what ever the correct terminology cannot , will not assimilate, it has been proven in every country they have been lucky enough to be accepted in. When will the world see this for what it is......

Edited by Dublin

If they don't want to be there and do not appreciate what is being done for them send them home, I have said it before Muslim, Islamic what ever the correct terminology cannot , will not assimilate, it has been proven in every country they have been lucky enough to be accepted in. When will the world see this for what it is......

You'r a bit tough...Maybe 5 or 10% are not like that tongue.png

Maybe the detention center food is practically inedible, and they depended for a long time on foods brought in from outside.

The original article reads "good to eat inside their living quartets", which I interpret as "food to eat inside their living quarters" - nothing to do with bringing food from outside their camp, rather they are demanding to take food inside the buildings where they live and sleep.

Yeah...same with the native Americans!

They never accepted gracefully the blankets, infected with smallpocks!

The OP gives no idea about what was exactly going on and the anti- muslim brigade is out in big numbers!

See, here a few days and instead of grateful causing trouble and moaning already.

I'm shocked, thought you would be really pleased they don't wish to be resettled in a Western country

They are scum that do not deserve to be resettled anywhere except a Muslim country, that's the problem they have their religion which makes it so difficult to co exist with others. One week and causing a problem already, unbelievable.

Well that's want they want, to be resettled in Malaysia, though that's unlikely to be agreed by Malaysia.

Who knows what led them to the counter productive protest. Don't know how they could coexist with the Burmese considering they suffered from government policy for decades that excludes them from accessing what society offers and are officially non citizens.

Nothing wrong here, they're just being typical Moslems, demanding special treatment from the rest of the world.

Islam, the religion of perpetual indignation.

It's called muslimness, our way or no way.

If the report is true...IF.... and it may just be a story to cover for a protest (or some other sort of violence) that was made for some other reason, then they are upstart ingrates.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I suspect there is more to this story than we are being told...call me naive, but I can hardly credit that people that have been essentially rescued from terrible conditions and are being sheltered and fed, would have a tantrum for the petty reason that is reported.

World see...Our governments don't see..

I had the opportunity to work with refugees before. They don't understand about sanitation, health and hygiene. They like to do what they are used to do in their village. Eating and feeding their children where they will sleep. They do not care about pest and rodents attracted by the food and the left overs. In fact some of the men will actually catch the rodent and cook them as meals.

The sad part is they expect you to give them what they want, where they want to go and do what they like doing. They do not appreciate the efforts and resources others has to provide for them. After a country had accepted them, they expected handouts. Many will not want to work hard to get a job. They blame the whole world for the situation they are in but does not want to improve themselves. This is the sad truth (and one of the hidden reason) why many countries does not want to take them. There are some hardworking ones and had make it. I had seen both.

send them to Syria

I'm going to step out of the box for a moment, apart from all the mistreatment these people are suffering and the abuse by certain people who are exploiting them for money - would they honestly be happy anywhere, I for one would not like them living next door to me

Its clear they wouldn't like you living next door to them either.

This lot is not well liked and it would be easy to assume their keepers are resentful of them. After all look at the trouble they have made for Thailand, allowing themselves to be sold into slavery and the cheek of them dying in mass graves. Shame on those refugees who have brought such disrepute to the normally squeaky clean officials,

Have they misbehaved, maybe? Lots of bad behaviour from detainees in Australia's detention camps, even worse behaviour from their keepers.

One thing is for certain any wrong move by these people, will get MAXIMUM coverage and publicity.