My Dog Bites People

I have two Bangkew dogs, beautiful, loyal, great with my three year old son, and protective of the property. However, the male has bitten two neighbourhood boys on two occasions when he gets out of the gate when he come home. I'm thinking this cannot continue -- 1. either chain him up inside our property or 2. get rid of him -- maybe give him to some of the wife's relatives who live in the deep countryside where the dog can roam free and not be so stressed out penned up like he is at our place. What would you do?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Yes, I'm thinking option 2 is best. I mean, he's a great dog with me and the family, he just gets a little overzealous with passing kids who probably run when they see him thus kicking in the dog's attack instinct.

Maybe those passing kids have thrown rocks at the dog, and the dog remembers them....or something like that.

Dont get rid of the dog until you check for a couple of weeks to see if those kids are in the wrong...

Dogs DO remember things like that and will wait a long time to get even....

Yes, I suspect the kids have been teasing the dog. But what to do? The dog is biting them, mind you it's really a nip in the butt (obviously the boy is running away) than a vicious attack by the dog, and the mother's aren't too pleased. We've paid for visits to the clinic to have the bites cleaned and treated. How can I really know if the kids are teasing the dog? And what can i do if that is the case?

A good dog will not bite a human no matter what the human does. Dogs are pack animals and automatically see humans, even juvenile humans, as their leaders. That is true of most dogs.

A rogue dog which would bite a human except when trapped and panicked has to go down. Once it learns it can bite a human it could kill or badly maim any child. Don't send it to a village. The dog's way of expressing displeasure is to bite children and that won't change. Do you want to wait until it bites a child in the face and disfigures the child for life?

Put it down.

I had a bangkaew and he bit the nannies all 3 of them for no apparent reason. This was after they had lived with us for many months. Since i have two babies and just couldn't trust him. I got rid of him but which i think was a mistake. I think i should have bought a muzzle and gave it a try before i made my decision.

I like this guy a lot. Some great info here:

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/biting/Dog-Bites-101-Why-Bites-Happen

There are many who would say one bite and your out. You've had 2 cases. IMHO, that's unacceptable. As one of Caesar's articles says, you've got a loaded gun in your house.

I'm a huge dog lover and have rescued many, mainly Bouviers. Big dogs. I trained them well, and did a lot of what was mentioned in this article. Plus, they were NEVER let out of the house unless on a lead. And they were well trained on a lead. No pulling, no tugging. When I said "sit", they sat and didn't move.

I think this is best over in the pet forum. Best of luck. You've got a tough decision.

Topic moved.

The dog was out in a public place and bit the kids.

If I was the parent of one of the kids I wouldn't be too happy that's for sure ... the dog would have been gone straight away ...

get rid of it before something more serious eventuates

I had a bangkaew and he bit the nannies all 3 of them for no apparent reason. This was after they had lived with us for many months. Since i have two babies and just couldn't trust him. I got rid of him but which i think was a mistake. I think i should have bought a muzzle and gave it a try before i made my decision.

When I was very young, I was at a neighbor's house, playing with their German Shepard. A wonderful dog that had been in the family for years. I was 2, rolling around with it, playing, etc. Later that day, something spooked it and it bit the owner. A lady. She had many stitches on her face and was permanently disfigured for the rest of her life. He eye never closed properly after that.

Dogs can be dangerous. Even if well trained.

Which part of "it bites kids" don't you understand. Allowing this to happen makes you complicit in child abuse. The dog should be destroyed, and for allowing it, so should you.

You have a duty to ensure that it never bites another child again and sending away to do the same again is a morally void and dispicable act of cowardice

In the UK, any dog which bites a person is put down.

Don't wait until it bites your 3 year old sons face and disfigures him for life, or worse. Even if the trained dog behaves itself whilst you are there, consider what it might do when your back is turned.

IMHO, your priority is with your son and not with the dog.

I have a Bangkeaw too. He is the same, well calmed down a bit now as he is getting old.

They are renowned for being very protective of their family and space. Ours bit 3 people in the 4 years I have had him. People soon realised not to go near him and he is always tied up if outside the house. There is no way I would ever get rid of him, he is the most loyal dog I have ever had. Just take maximum precautions and be careful. I very much doubt he would ever bite any close family that live in the house.

Which part of "it bites kids" don't you understand. Allowing this to happen makes you complicit in child abuse. The dog should be destroyed, and for allowing it, so should you.

You have a duty to ensure that it never bites another child again and sending away to do the same again is a morally void and dispicable act of cowardice

You having a bad day fella?

There is option 3 and 4.

Option 3. Do not let him get out of the house

Option 4. Put a muzzle.

It's not a toy to give away, it's an animal and nothing to stop him from biting people up in countryside

As a kid growing up in rural America, when a dog started biting people there was only one solution. And that was to kill it. When a dog starts biting it usually continues and even increases. No matter how much you may love this dog, your responsibility is for the safety of your own family and to your neighbors.

Perhaps banishing the dog to the rural area would stop the biting. I hope so. But there are strangers there too and you are only hoping the dog won't bite them also ... but you don't really know that.

You having a bad day fella

I often have bad days when I recall carrying my 3 year old daughter to hospital because a neighbours dog had ripped her face open

have you done any training? Have you taken the dog out on a leash around the kids to teach the dog not to bite them?

Dogs are smart, try training it rather than looking for a store bought solution such as a chain or a muzzle.

Maybe if the dog cannot see what or who is walking by in the soi in front of the house that would help both parties.

You don't tease a dog you can't see and a dog that can't see who it is might be less likely to want to "escape" and attack.

The dog needs to get out more it seems, outside the gate is enemy territory.

" maybe give him to some of the wife's relatives who live in the deep countryside where the dog can roam free and not be so stressed out penned up like he is at our place. What would you do? "

I am surprised you think that in the deep countryside it will stop bite ! I walk often in the countryside, and many dogs barking, but not biting ! yours will bite because it's in his nature

my solution: keep it with you , but buy him a muzzle : I have seen already some in Thailand

Some onliners...

-Don't bite the hand that feeds you

That dog loves you, since you are the boss. You feed it.. When he bites someone...HIT IT. It wont feel the physical pain..but the emotional. Dogs can not bite people. Had a dog in neighborhood. Bite many people...then bit a thai...so dog had to go. Never, ever have I seen the owners get angry at the dog. It was always someone elses fault. I took street dogs in. No way, I let them bite people. They know I kick their ass...they wont. There are like sweet puppies now. No street life, good food...and NO aggression or I get angry..and I am the alpha male. Yes, did happen once bite someone that hit one with his motorbike..Duh..defence.

-A dog reflects the owner

When you are strong and show the dog can not bit people and show you are strong and proud....it won't. Yes, some people are mental and so some dogs are too...but I assume that is not the case here. Be a man! giggle.gif

Good Luck

who the hell is leaving the gate open.we have one living near us,they could leave every door in the house open and no one,i mean no one would dare go near the house,but yes he has got loose a few times and he becomes a monster.

so what they done was,attache a chain were they come in and out clip it to the dogs collar and problem solved.

i see the same with kids teasing him and he goes nuts.

as for getting rid try and see his way,he is king,loyal to you and family,protective of his property and yours to give him away would break his heart for me the only alternative was to put him to sleep,then you could sleep aswell knowing he is not being ill treated.

when i moved to a new house, have a farang as neighbor

now i expected some bullshit from thai neighbors, loud noise & stuff

& guess what

the biggest <deleted> on the block for noise, are not thais, but this scottisch guy, with his BOUGHT issan wife

Archived