My Dog Bites People

dogs have to be trained, simple, trouble is most people get a dog/s and then do bugger all with them so they never learn what is acceptable. We have a dog that is chained, it will not let anyone into our yard unless we are with them(this is great) but once it is off the chain or outside the fence it is good and does not attack or bite anyone as it has been taught not to. If you have never trained your dog not to bite the fault is yours, dogs learn what they can and cant do, shipping it off will not change them, they are protective of their pack and their area, if they are doing this outside your fence line then you should train them, put them down or chain them up as they are just being savage, next time spend the time to train the dogs, too many people get dogs/pups and then are too lazy to do anything with them and let them do as they please. Collar and walk them everyday so that they get used to other people being around them, this also lets then learn what is and isnt ok for them as you can reprimand them if they do anything wrong.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a dog that was biting people. He went on holiday to Nakhon Sawan or Vietnam. Not sure exactly. We got 150 baht for him. I think that people ended up biting him, chewing and swallowing. Problem solved.

Which part of "it bites kids" don't you understand. Allowing this to happen makes you complicit in child abuse. The dog should be destroyed, and for allowing it, so should you.

You have a duty to ensure that it never bites another child again and sending away to do the same again is a morally void and dispicable act of cowardice

You having a bad day fella
I often have bad days when I recall carrying my 3 year old daughter to hospital because a neighbours dog had ripped her face open

I'm sorry to hear that.

Really? Were not talking ripped off faces or dead kids. The term used was nipping. Most of the morons that want to out the dog down have never owned a dog I would bet.....Watch The Dog Whisperer.....In the meantime Keep your gate closed or put an inner pen on your property and coral him when you open the gate for the car. So some research and spend some time with it......oh and try and find a vet to put him down...no way the King has pretty much made them a National breed as he owns a dozen of them. Read about there nature.

Another case of a pet owner thinking a dog is a dog.

1. Make the property secure so the dog cannot get out.

2. Walk the dog on a lead.

3. Walk the dog on a lead amongst children and other dogs.

4. Daily walks instill you (the human) as pack leader and relieve stress in the dog.

5. Don't ask a dominant dog to do something. Tell it and train it, be its boss.

Make it wait for food - sit before a bowl is placed. On the lead, ensure it walks with you and doesn't pull. Use the gate and lead as a tool. "You" the human go through every gate or opening first not the dog. This teaches the dog that you are the boss. Repetition and consistency will create results.

I have a similar mix dog as to what you describe. He is very aggressive towards outsiders but more so with other dogs - when introduced by me or a member of our family it very quickly becomes a non issue. There is no need for a lead / rope or chain when introducing visitors on our property with me or one of my family present. Come uninvited - different story although, I have my doubts he'd bite a human unless that human was demonstrating very threatening behavior toward us.

They are very protective of their territory - you and every member of your family must remain above them in the pack. That includes wife / girlfriend / kids.

Sorry -- option 2. Screw the Detective work about the kids.

Option 2.

If a dog bit my kid I would shoot it.

while I agree with you, I wouldn't, and didn't, stop at the dog,

20 years later my daughter is still scarred, and he still limps

Personally, I would go for option 2 also, before the dog does someone some real damage like a baby or something. This, to my way of thinking, is too serious for delaying. If I had babies in your vicinity I would be worried sick for their welfare and I would hope the dog would also be much happier in the countryside.

The dog was out in a public place and bit the kids.

If I was the parent of one of the kids I wouldn't be too happy that's for sure ... the dog would have been gone straight away ...

get rid of it before something more serious eventuates

to be honest i blame the owner for not keeping the dog inside the property,people always blame something other than themselves ..no reason to put the dog down or move to a new home your just passing the problem onto someone else to solve..and if there thai it wont generally be a good outcome..we dont confront we just poison wai2.gif

no one seems to have a good word to say about the kids here, just wondering why I see so many farangs with kids coffee1.gif

when a dog gets the taste of a young tender thai boys ass it is all over , he will be a biter for life . put him down or chain him wife's mother .

Thai Bangkaew's are very very protective of their families and need a strong pack leader. Unfortunatly you have failed in this roll.

A dog biting a person is the most disrespectful thing it can do.

You are NOT the pack leader with your 2 dogs. This is your fault that the dogs are biting the neighbours kids.

Dont put the dog down, its not the dogs fault, its yours. You need professional help from a qualified dog trainer.

The dog needs to learn that biting is wrong and when it does it needs to be taught correctly. When the dog does something negative it needs a correction.

Try Patrick in Bangkok. Tell him that Phil with Zanda the female Doberman recommended him. He's the dogs best chance.

http://k9bangkok.com/dog-training/

Really? Were not talking ripped off faces or dead kids. The term used was nipping. Most of the morons that want to out the dog down have never owned a dog I would bet.....Watch The Dog Whisperer.....In the meantime Keep your gate closed or put an inner pen on your property and coral him when you open the gate for the car. So some research and spend some time with it......oh and try and find a vet to put him down...no way the King has pretty much made them a National breed as he owns a dozen of them. Read about there nature.

"Nips" on two occasions that resulted in "...visits to the clinic to have the bites cleaned and treated."

Has the dog been neutered?

Thai Bangkaew's are very very protective of their families and need a strong pack leader. Unfortunatly you have failed in this roll.

A dog biting a person is the most disrespectful thing it can do.

You are NOT the pack leader with your 2 dogs. This is your fault that the dogs are biting the neighbours kids.

Dont put the dog down, its not the dogs fault, its yours. You need professional help from a qualified dog trainer.

The dog needs to learn that biting is wrong and when it does it needs to be taught correctly. When the dog does something negative it needs a correction.

Try Patrick in Bangkok. Tell him that Phil with Zanda the female Doberman recommended him. He's the dogs best chance.

http://k9bangkok.com/dog-training/

You can't teach an aggressive dog not to bite. It's called "temperament". You might help the dog when it is very young by socializing the heck out of by taking it among many, many people. That's doubtful though because most dogs are born with a subservient instinct toward humans - even children. That why those dogs make good pets.

You can test a puppy's temperament to see if it will get aggressive under certain circumstances and avoid getting that dog. Google is your friend.

"Nips" on two occasions that resulted in "...visits to the clinic to have the bites cleaned and treated."

Has the dog been neutered?

"has the dog been neutered?" AH! Now there's a good idea! Why didn't I think of that before? And I'm surprised it took so long for this suggestion to appear on my thread. Thanks. I'll consider that.

A good dog will not bite a human no matter what the human does. Dogs are pack animals and automatically see humans, even juvenile humans, as their leaders. That is true of most dogs.

A rogue dog which would bite a human except when trapped and panicked has to go down. Once it learns it can bite a human it could kill or badly maim any child. Don't send it to a village. The dog's way of expressing displeasure is to bite children and that won't change. Do you want to wait until it bites a child in the face and disfigures the child for life?

Put it down.

I was a professional dog trainer for many years prior to retirement. In order for a dog to treat a human as a pack leader, the human must display the proper body language and voice tones and know how to correct the dog without getting physical.

I worked with many families who had "problem dogs" that the veterinarian said should be put down. Nearly 100% success. There is no need to put the dog down if you are willing to do the work. 2-4 hours working with the dog and family members usually put things right. I had some rather dramatic turnabouts in dog behavior using this method.

A good dog will not bite a human no matter what the human does. Dogs are pack animals and automatically see humans, even juvenile humans, as their leaders. That is true of most dogs.

A rogue dog which would bite a human except when trapped and panicked has to go down. Once it learns it can bite a human it could kill or badly maim any child. Don't send it to a village. The dog's way of expressing displeasure is to bite children and that won't change. Do you want to wait until it bites a child in the face and disfigures the child for life?

Put it down.

I was a professional dog trainer for many years prior to retirement. In order for a dog to treat a human as a pack leader, the human must display the proper body language and voice tones and know how to correct the dog without getting physical.

I worked with many families who had "problem dogs" that the veterinarian said should be put down. Nearly 100% success. There is no need to put the dog down if you are willing to do the work. 2-4 hours working with the dog and family members usually put things right. I had some rather dramatic turnabouts in dog behavior using this method.

Thanks Dogbreath -- Can you give me any quick tips on how I can train or make this dog more obedient? I have heard (mostly on TV) that Bangkeaws are hard to train because they are "stubborn". I can see that in my dog. What can I do? And will any training make him stop biting the kids? He's just a very spirited creature. I don't think he's really out to attack the kids, just nips so far, but I want that to stop!! I'm quite "alpha" with him in my body language and voice tone.

Part of the problem is I don't live there full time. (I live outside the country making money to support my family) I go there three times a year, two months in the summer. However, soon I will give up my gravy-train job outside and move back full time. That way I can spend more time tending to things at home --- like the dog!

Please give me some tips on how to make this dog stop messing with the kids. You sound like you're the right guy to talk to, especially with a name like "dogbreath"

As a kid growing up in rural America, when a dog started biting people there was only one solution. And that was to kill it. When a dog starts biting it usually continues and even increases. No matter how much you may love this dog, your responsibility is for the safety of your own family and to your neighbors.

Perhaps banishing the dog to the rural area would stop the biting. I hope so. But there are strangers there too and you are only hoping the dog won't bite them also ... but you don't really know that.

I live in a rural area, there are quite enough dogs here, feral and others, it is impossible to safely walk down most Sois after dark. Put it down.

There is a dog in my soi that goes wild when I, my son and a couple of others walk past the front of its house. Neither I nor my son have done anything to antagonize it but it hates us, with a vengeance. Going crazy growling, barking and running back and forth in a frenzy. Others in the soi think it amusing when they see it do this but I am waiting for the day when it manages to get out when I am walking past. It is definitely going to attack me and I just hope I can kill it before it does too much damage to me. The owners know how it behaves and who it seems to have developed a hatred of but do nothing. It previously bit a child when they took it to the common area to walk so now it is not let out. It is just lucky that the dog is not clever enough to understand that it would be easy to climb over the fence. My dog was like a bloody monkey but was totally non-aggressive.

Put it down.

Thanks Dogbreath -- Can you give me any quick tips on how I can train or make this dog more obedient? I have heard (mostly on TV) that Bangkeaws are hard to train because they are "stubborn". I can see that in my dog. What can I do? And will any training make him stop biting the kids? He's just a very spirited creature. I don't think he's really out to attack the kids, just nips so far, but I want that to stop!! I'm quite "alpha" with him in my body language and voice tone.

Part of the problem is I don't live there full time. (I live outside the country making money to support my family) I go there three times a year, two months in the summer. However, soon I will give up my gravy-train job outside and move back full time. That way I can spend more time tending to things at home --- like the dog!

Please give me some tips on how to make this dog stop messing with the kids. You sound like you're the right guy to talk to, especially with a name like "dogbreath"

You are in a tough spot. If your family can't do the proper training (and it's not easy for dogs like this) then you are best to move it out to the country area you described. Or, make sure the dog never gets out unless on a lead. Even then, unless properly trained, a lead won't do the trick. And seems the dog gets out anyway. Maybe get a smaller, easier to train dog for your family?

Unless dealt with, you could be getting into trouble if this dog really bites somebody and hurts them. Best of luck.

Its simple just muzzle the dog when he is outside..... they even have to dogs with home made muzzles on in the village next to me, so the villagers have the same problems too.... remmeber the dog is doing his job...

amstaff-muzzle-leather.jpg

There is a dog in my soi that goes wild when I, my son and a couple of others walk past the front of its house. Neither I nor my son have done anything to antagonize it but it hates us, with a vengeance. Going crazy growling, barking and running back and forth in a frenzy. Others in the soi think it amusing when they see it do this but I am waiting for the day when it manages to get out when I am walking past. It is definitely going to attack me and I just hope I can kill it before it does too much damage to me. The owners know how it behaves and who it seems to have developed a hatred of but do nothing. It previously bit a child when they took it to the common area to walk so now it is not let out. It is just lucky that the dog is not clever enough to understand that it would be easy to climb over the fence. My dog was like a bloody monkey but was totally non-aggressive.

I got the same issue where i live.

Never ever had any contact with a dog "in my soi" and it's very aggressive running besides the motosai trying to bite my leg. This happens to every single person that actually walk or drive past the house where the dog belong. The dog has several times bitten (4 times that i know of and seen the bite marks myself) people but it's still there. I have stopped driving that soi in that direction now. Only "action" i have witnessed was when the dog bit a higher ranking military officers son and they had a "discussion" (i guess someone got money) but the dog is still alive.

Archived