The Death Of Chang Beer.

Well, (I should have titled it "The Death Of Chang Beer - Classic" (as there a few variants that may have not changed and I expect a lot of people that drink the others will be still quite happy)

after my last post about Chang Beer "Classic" I am pleased to say I will no longer be buying it. They have ruined the beer that made them famous. (Should have started one of those online petitions from Change.org or something - "Stop molesting Chang Classic")

The "Classic" Beer has changed at least twice over the past few months from a starting point of 6.4% alcohol, to 6% alcohol to now a measly 5.8%, and the original "Classic" flavor has completely gone.

A poster here on TV mentioned a beer called "RED HORSE" (I had never seen or heard of it before, despite living here for over 10 years.

Well, today, thanks to Tesco Lotus Home Delivery, I managed to get a hold of 6 bottles just as a try out. Whilst it does not have the "head" or creaminess of Chang, it does indeed offer great value.

Chang is now 5.8% Alcohol and costs 53 Baht for a 630mL bottle, whereas the Red Horse offers 6% Alcohol and is in a 640 mL bottle costing 47 Baht a bottle.

It tastes OK, but no it is not Chang Classic, but neither is Chang a classic anymore.

So, beer mongers and booze lovers, maybe give Red Horse a go......I am having great difficulty however finding any local shops that stock it.

Edited by Vogele123

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyway, because it's lost point 6 of 1% of alcohol and it has 10ml less beer and is 6 baht more expensive than some beer no ones ever heard of, you won't drink it anymore?

Has anyone actually done a blindfold test on whether that 0.2% makes any difference whatsoever?

Still, it always entertains me when people start debating the tastiest Thai beer. It's like a tallest dwarf contest.

So anyway, because it's lost point 6 of 1% of alcohol and it has 10ml less beer and is 6 baht more expensive than some beer no ones ever heard of, you won't drink it anymore?

Indeed, I will be rethinking my preferred beer.

It has not lost 0.6 of 1% (you cannot work in those terms with a percentage)

It has lost what was 40.32ml Alcohol for 50 Baht to what is now 36.54 mL for 53 Baht. It is a very significant change.

I gave up the Singha when it went the same way a few years back, it used to be somewhere similar to Chang then suddenly dropped to 5%, a totally different drink.

It has lost what was 40.32ml Alcohol for 50 Baht to what is now 36.54 mL for 53 Baht. It is a very significant change.

Wow. If getting the maximum bang for your buck is your major concern, have you considered meths?

Has anyone actually done a blindfold test on whether that 0.2% makes any difference whatsoever?

Still, it always entertains me when people start debating the tastiest Thai beer. It's like a tallest dwarf contest.

I have done the very same test, and you can certainly 100% without a doubt taste the difference between the old 6.4% to the 6%, the 6% to the 5.8% is very dependent on how many beers or cigs I have before trying it.

I can tell the difference side by side at the same time, it just lacks the taste it used to have.

If you try the 6.4% next to the 5.8% it is a totally different beer.

People seem quick to mock Chang, I have been a beer guzzler for more than 35 years, I have drank some of the best German beers and some of the worst English beers, but I would not knock the Classic Chang. Who on earth would rather drink Carlsberg, Heiniken or some of these other beers here amazes me. I have never ever found an international brand beer sold here that tastes remotely like the same beer brewed in its home country.

Ever tried a Chinese can of Guiness or a Chinese can of Tiger? Not even remotely equivalent.

Edited by Vogele123

Wow. If getting the maximum bang for your buck is your major concern, have you considered meths?

I believe meths is purple, wood alcohol and deadly, however, I liked the original taste of Chang! They have for me, spoiled what I considered to be a decent brew. Besides, I have never seen a bottle of meths here, only "rubbing alcohol" is that any good with fish?

Edited by Vogele123

Considering they stopped making the 6.4% well over a year ago, that's quite a trick.

Even if you did lay your hands on some, it would certainly be past its best by now.

Are you sure you did the taste test now?

Indeed, I will be rethinking my preferred beer.

It has not lost 0.6 of 1% (you cannot work in those terms with a percentage)

I gave up the Singha when it went the same way a few years back, it used to be somewhere similar to Chang then suddenly dropped to 5%, a totally different drink.

Crikey...My GJD Chaser has more than 4ml in one shot, so the difference isn't much hey?...and it makes all beer taste the same....

I have done the very same test, and you can certainly 100% without a doubt taste the difference between the old 6.4% to the 6%, the 6% to the 5.8% is very dependent on how many beers or cigs I have before trying it.

I can tell the difference side by side at the same time, it just lacks the taste it used to have.

People seem quick to mock Chang, I have been a beer guzzler for more than 35 years, I have drank some of the best German beers and some of the worst English beers, but I would not knock the Classic Chang. Who on earth would rather drink Carlsberg, Heiniken or some of these other beers here amazes me. I have never ever found an international brand beer sold here that tastes remotely like the same beer brewed in its home country.

Ever tried a Chinese can of Guiness or a Chinese can of Tiger? Not even remotely equivalent.

There's no way on this planet you can compare any Thai beer to a decent German or Belgium beer that has pure ingredients.

Read this...

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Now i am worried ...Transam may become suicidal....cheesy.gif ....and probably a few others....

Hang in there fellas...remember, you loose one thing and gain another...

JD hasn't changed..biggrin.png

how is this a negative?

I agree Chang Classic lost it's taste, but still not as bad as leo. Big C normally have some Red Horse and Cheers extra is not bad, but they put the strength of that down as well. All Thai beer, like their bread is just a facsimile of the real thing.

I used to drink Chang, moved on to Leo, but none of the Thai beers, in my opinion, really offer that much, and once a few ice cubes are dropped in, I wouldn't be able tell much difference. There are quite a few alternative beers, but I'm not paying $5 a bottle. The problem isn't with Chang, the problem is there are only 3 main beers offered here. I've had Cheers, nothing special either. I'll take a good Oatmeal Stout any day.

Cheers Xtra is good stuff and cheap. Alcoholics love it.

Red Horse is really nasty but it's great if you're on a budget. I have drank it and could barely finish a single bottle.bah.gif

Edited by zierf1

I used to drink Chang, moved on to Leo, but none of the Thai beers, in my opinion, really offer that much, and once a few ice cubes are dropped in, I wouldn't be able tell much difference. There are quite a few alternative beers, but I'm not paying $5 a bottle. The problem isn't with Chang, the problem is there are only 3 main beers offered here. I've had Cheers, nothing special either. I'll take a good Oatmeal Stout any day.

Yep. Thai beer is drinkable, but nothing to get excited about - and they're all much the same.

I guess some people have nothing better to do than fret over being denied their last 0.2%, though.

Now i am worried ...Transam may become suicidal....cheesy.gif ....and probably a few others....

Hang in there fellas...remember, you loose one thing and gain another...

JD hasn't changed..biggrin.png

how is this a negative?

Smaller Bottles with less kick....Thats a real problem for some...gigglem.gif

All Thai beer tastes like cat's piss in my humble opinion. I find myself wasting tons of cash on imported stuff.

I always considered cat piss to taste better than Chang, and is a delicatesse compared to red horse

All Thai beer tastes like cat's piss in my humble opinion. I find myself wasting tons of cash on imported stuff.

I always considered cat piss to taste better than Chang, and is a delicatesse compared to red horse

Even my dogs wont drink Chang....but they will drink Leo...