The Death Of Chang Beer.

Maybe you would care to name some of these worst English beers you speak of. Please respond quickly if you can think of any.

Just for the sake of conversation, I didn't particularly care for John Smith's Extra Smooth.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an avid Chang fan I agree there has been some change to its taste over the past 6 - 12 months but not enough to still prefer it over the others, Leo, Tiger and Singha etc. However, I used to drink Red Horse in the Philippines some years back and it was a damn good beer. Unsure what it's like now but I for 1 will be checking it out. Thanks for the tip it's available here.

I stopped drinking Thai beer yonks ago, and was once told by a beautiful Thai doctor not to drink it due to the preservatives in it, she had done some research. Now I stick to TIGER and have no problems with it except upcountry, in fact most places, restaurants and bars have never heard of it even though many 7-11s, Big-Cs,Lotus and Makro usually have it.

The Tiger available here is brewed in Thailand.

Yes; as is Heineken,San Mig, Asahi etc

I stopped drinking Thai beer yonks ago, and was once told by a beautiful Thai doctor not to drink it due to the preservatives in it, she had done some research. Now I stick to TIGER and have no problems with it except upcountry, in fact most places, restaurants and bars have never heard of it even though many 7-11s, Big-Cs,Lotus and Makro usually have it.

The Tiger available here is brewed in Thailand.

Yes; as is Heineken,San Mig, Asahi etc

So you haven't stopped drinking Thai beer, have you?

Death serum i call it,all Thai beer is <deleted>,packed to the gunwales with all sort of awful preservatives,crap,all of it.

What's your source for this particular nugget of info?

Come on soi,it is well known,look i could drink 12- 375 ml stubbies of cascade beer in Aussie,and wake up fresh as a daisy,i drink 4to 6 bottles of Singha here ,i wake up feeling <deleted>,why,preservatives,and before you start i know we were talking about chang,but it does not matter,the cascade has no presevatives,Thai beer does,have you understood what i am saying?

Since no preservatives are noted on their labels, pray tell how you know there are preservatives in Thai beer? Not saying you're wrong, but how do you actually know?

Pasteurization is the primary means by which Thai beers are preserved.

Has anyone actually done a blindfold test on whether that 0.2% makes any difference whatsoever?

Still, it always entertains me when people start debating the tastiest Thai beer. It's like a tallest dwarf contest.

I have done the very same test, and you can certainly 100% without a doubt taste the difference between the old 6.4% to the 6%, the 6% to the 5.8% is very dependent on how many beers or cigs I have before trying it.

I can tell the difference side by side at the same time, it just lacks the taste it used to have.

If you try the 6.4% next to the 5.8% it is a totally different beer.

People seem quick to mock Chang, I have been a beer guzzler for more than 35 years, I have drank some of the best German beers and some of the worst English beers, but I would not knock the Classic Chang. Who on earth would rather drink Carlsberg, Heiniken or some of these other beers here amazes me. I have never ever found an international brand beer sold here that tastes remotely like the same beer brewed in its home country.

Ever tried a Chinese can of Guiness or a Chinese can of Tiger? Not even remotely equivalent.

Maybe you would care to name some of these worst English beers you speak of. Please respond quickly if you can think of any.

John Smith and Tetley's for starters. Brits talk a big game about their CAMRA ales but they drink more Carling than anything else.

Death serum i call it,all Thai beer is <deleted>,packed to the gunwales with all sort of awful preservatives,crap,all of it.

Thai beer is pasteurized and hops is a natural preservation so I highly doubt they'd waste money on adding preservatives.

Has anyone actually done a blindfold test on whether that 0.2% makes any difference whatsoever?

Still, it always entertains me when people start debating the tastiest Thai beer. It's like a tallest dwarf contest.

I have done the very same test, and you can certainly 100% without a doubt taste the difference between the old 6.4% to the 6%, the 6% to the 5.8% is very dependent on how many beers or cigs I have before trying it.

I can tell the difference side by side at the same time, it just lacks the taste it used to have.

People seem quick to mock Chang, I have been a beer guzzler for more than 35 years, I have drank some of the best German beers and some of the worst English beers, but I would not knock the Classic Chang. Who on earth would rather drink Carlsberg, Heiniken or some of these other beers here amazes me. I have never ever found an international brand beer sold here that tastes remotely like the same beer brewed in its home country.

Ever tried a Chinese can of Guiness or a Chinese can of Tiger? Not even remotely equivalent.

There's no way on this planet you can compare any Thai beer to a decent German or Belgium beer that has pure ingredients.

Read this...

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

And the foodbabe has been debunked by scientists and brewers for not knowing what she's talking about. Google foodbabe beer debunked.

I don't waste money on imported beers. There is too much that can and does go wrong as the beer oxidizes during shipping. Look at what is available in local breweries and choose the best flavor option. For me it is the 100% Malt option of "Chang Export" which I keep chilled and ready to enjoy.

ChangExport.png

Beer was long a local source of pride from community to community - until the likes of Anheiser Bush marketed their swill and put local brewers out of business. "The problem for beer is that nothing that grows in it can hurt a human; while the flavor will absolutely change, usually for the worst, nobody will become ill as they would drinking aged milk. It is this durability that leads people to believe that beer can withstand all sorts of abuse."

see details at

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/oxidative_staling_beer.html

A waste of time comparing local and imported beers. With travel and storage, the imported beers will be degraded anyway. I've been told by a professional brewer any beer more than three months old has lost 80% of the flavour components. Beer does not age like wine.

Personally, I quite like Thai beers. I would dearly love to know how the gentleman condemning Thai beers arrived at his cat's piss taste comparison, because it suggests an uncomfortable mental image. Or perhaps he has his pussies confused?

I've waited years to hear this bit of news. And now I feel like swinging from the rafters and screaming Glory Hallelujah!

But life sucks. I've quit drinking.

smile.png

Me too. I have started a beer jar much like a swear jar. Every time I get the urge to have a beer I throw 35 bahts in the jar. I will need to hire a truck to haul the jars to the bank. To old to swing from the rafters barely can reach certain areas to scratch. Its really amazing what companies are doing to increase their profits. I just rushed to the cereal section where Kelloggs was selling corn flakes with an extra 50 grams in the box. I bought 5 boxes what a deal. What a great company giving something away for nothing. Oh well time to hit the add reply button.

Be careful last time I put on a blindfold people thought I was Zorro. Made me feel like a "Gay Blade" My favorite dwarf is Peter Dinklage in "The Game of Thrones" and many other movies. He is a hot commodity these days see him in many movies. Enjoyable fellow. Sometimes I think I am only 0.2% of what I used to be. Oh well still have some time left better enjoy it.

Don't try to drink rubbing alcohol- they put stuff in it to make you throw up. Not saying how I know that cheesy.gif

Also, don't rub yourself with Chang. You'll smell terrible.

Before I quit drinking my g/f used to say I smelled like Chang. The darn stuff used to ooze out of my pores. Wished I could buy an ooze free Chang might start drinking again. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

All Thai beer tastes like cat's piss in my humble opinion. I find myself wasting tons of cash on imported stuff.

Not much of a recommendation from someone who drinks cats piss.

Is the imported cats piss better than the local stuff?

Edited by Mudcrab

I love the title of the post...as if Chang beer was ever a "good" beer, lol. It sucks now, it sucked then, it will always suck. Chang tastes roughly the equivalent of the puddle on the ground you see dripping from the dumpster in the back of the KFC.

Wow....must have taken a while to get that taste out of your mouth......what does the puddle at McDonalds taste like?

I like Leo and I drink chilled and on ice, I find it very refreshing to have a large Leo with my evening meal, I will also add I like Chang export but not buy to much, when I first came to Thailand I am sure Chang classic was 7% ?, I was warned off drinking it.

Bring back Amarit. Probably won't, it's been many years.

Way back in the old days just when Patpong was invented Singha, Amarit, and Krating-Daeng were the only beers available,better than Vietnamese and US beers of those days that we had to live on over the border. Singha was the best,then the other 2 died away, but Amarit came back again with a "natural beer" late 80's if I remember rightly;I liked it but it died too after a year or so.