U-Tapao to become Bangkok's 3rd commercial airport

webfact

There used to be flights to Phuket and Koh Samui from Utapao but they both eventually failed. Pattaya keeps getting bigger so it might be getting closer to critical mass now.

That high speed train between Suvarnabhumi and Utapao they are talking about would probably make this a lot more likely to succeed.

I flew in and out of Utapao to Phuket and back from Samui in 2013.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There used to be flights to Phuket and Koh Samui from Utapao but they both eventually failed. Pattaya keeps getting bigger so it might be getting closer to critical mass now.

That high speed train between Suvarnabhumi and Utapao they are talking about would probably make this a lot more likely to succeed.

Bit pricey I thought.

Still have them Bangkok Airways flies its little ATR 72.

Yep, still going... Here are today's flights...

post-188279-14334485525221_thumb.jpg

whistling.gif Don't fool yourself U-Tapq0 has been used quite often over the last almost 50 years since 1975. I know for a fact that flights carrying heavy equipment from Korea to Kuwait and Iraq by C-5 cargo aircraft routinely passed thru there during the Iraq wars.

Just because the Thais don't like to admit it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Almost all the aircraft pictured are parked and awaiting sale or scrappage taking most of the current stands. Some of these including the Thai International ones presumably were transferred from Don Muang which is also overcrowded. Being more than 2 hours traveling from Bangkok it seems likely that U-Tapao will handle mainly charter flights for decadent Tourists because of its close proximity to Pattaya.

Nonsense, Thai airways operates a huge repair and testing facility at U-Tapao that employs hundreds of staff from the surrounding area, that is why these Thai Airways aircraft are sitting there.

Guess they don't advertise it much. I remember big billboards in Pattaya advertising those flights. Pretty sure they cancelled them or at least reduced the number of flights significantly. I guess they quietly started it back up. News to me.

Edited by lapd

whistling.gif Don't fool yourself U-Tapq0 has been used quite often over the last almost 50 years since 1975. I know for a fact that flights carrying heavy equipment from Korea to Kuwait and Iraq by C-5 cargo aircraft routinely passed thru there during the Iraq wars.

100% correct. Our factory is directly under the approach flight path about a kilometre from the runway. I've seen US C5 cargo planes landing there on a regular basis for years and as recently as about two weeks ago. There are also regular Russian charter flights using Utapao. A Thai friend is an air traffic controller there and he said they have had up to 40 Russian charter flights a week.

As stated earlier, Thai Airlines has their heavy maintenance base there so there are always Thai aircraft coming and going. The runway is also used for training by Thai and other airlines. Usually approach, touch and the go around type of flying. Bangkok Airways has flown out of there without a break in the 7 years I have lived next to Utapao. Used them many times to Phuket. A bit more expensive than going from swampy but take into account the fuel, time and parking to use Swampy and the it's cheaper.

100% correct. Our factory is directly under the approach flight path about a kilometre from the runway. I've seen US C5 cargo planes landing there on a regular basis for years and as recently as about two weeks ago. There are also regular Russian charter flights using Utapao. A Thai friend is an air traffic controller there and he said they have had up to 40 Russian charter flights a week.

On approach to Utapao

A-10_zps57c47e26.jpgC17A_zpsa7a5db00.jpg