U-Tapao to become Bangkok's 3rd commercial airport

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the only one with properly built runways, thanks to the <deleted>. Nearly 50 year old runways with nary a crack to be found, contrasted to Swampy whose runways were closed for major repairs before its 2nd birthday.

Maybe that has something to do with the amount of traffic and the weight of the loads the runways receive?

How many AB 380 AB340, AB 330, B777, B767, B787, B747 land at Utapao on any given day? UTP had 10 commercial jet arrivals/departures today, all Cessna or ATR 72. In contrast BKK has approximately 800 flights a day, of mostly heavy jets.

Yes, BKK had some serious problems, but they were addressed. Show me any airport surface that can withstand a daily pounding year in, year out without surface fatigue.

Yes, I know your point was to show that the US engineered airport stood up etc. However, even US airports have their problems over time.

You know Andrews AFB in Maryland? It developed a significant dip (2" deep) on Runway 1L/19R . It was caused by water infiltrating the pavement system and transporting soil particles through a leaking culvert underlying the runway. It was fixed.

No this problem was because of corruption not proper ground work the landing strip was to thin etc it's looked like a motocross track at swampypum.

Why does the Thai navy own an airport?

Because they can't get a submarine?

What do you mean 'because they can't get a submarine?'

They have been trying for years, and with persistence they will get one, or two, or more?

It will happen.

They will have to put wheels on them so that they can get into some places of strategic importance.

I can see the headlines, 'Thailand has done it again with the first submarine with wheels'.

Almost all the aircraft pictured are parked and awaiting sale or scrappage taking most of the current stands. Some of these including the Thai International ones presumably were transferred from Don Muang which is also overcrowded. Being more than 2 hours traveling from Bangkok it seems likely that U-Tapao will handle mainly charter flights for decadent Tourists because of its close proximity to Pattaya.

Thumbnail of Thailand airport fiasco's; Don Mueang ancient and partially closed when Suvarnabhumi opened, prone to flooding and on highly congested roadways except for the expensive tollway which can also be a problem. Then DM reopened for international flight when it was obvious that all the expense and planning that should have gone into Suvarnabhumi was found to be riddled with problems and errors. Now the same clowns are investing in a 3,rd airport to serve Bangkok over 100 kilometers away. Not just naturally stupid but a whole lot of effort has

been squandered to come up with this as a solution. Learning from mistakes of the past has never been a feature in this country.

what they need to do ASAP is push the construction of a high speed skytrain linking Don Muang, Bangkok Central locations, Suvarnabhumi, Pattaya and U-Tapao, with some useful stops in between

There are plans to build the new (conventional) standard gauge railway already agreed (I believe). However I think an airport link similar to the one at Suvarnabhumi would be a better solution. Couldn't they find an old airport a bit closer to Bangkok?

1st thing that comes to mind, will need more Mini Buses and buses to service 3 million passangers = even more accidents

What they need is a high speed rail line. Time to get into the 21st century.

Yes like that high-speed rail link between JFK/LGA/EWR - oh, hang on....

I think it's bit cheeky that they are calling U-Tapao, Bangkok's 3rd International airport. It is after all, 183 kms from the city. That's like calling Birmingham Airport London 5th airport.

Why not Rayong International Aeroport?

Yeah, I can just see the disaster when thousands of unsuspecting travelers fly into "Bangkok" each day and have to spend 4 white knuckle hours in a taxi (or God forbid, a bus or kamikaze van) to get to their hotel downtown.

They'll do it because the travel agents and airlines will be less than forthcoming about the location, and the tickets will be $3 cheaper...

They ought to just call it Pattaya Intergender International.

Absolutely! But if the Blue noses in the Junta get their way and send all the bar girls home permanently, Pattaya will not need an airport. No one will want to go there. Bangkok's third airport might as well go to Ayutthaya. Nice & handy to all the cultural ruins the tourists will want to see........ NOT!!!!! However I am not holding my breath about Pattaya closing down. I am sure there must be some generals with some common (commercial) sense.

what they need to do ASAP is push the construction of a high speed skytrain linking Don Muang, Bangkok Central locations, Suvarnabhumi, Pattaya and U-Tapao, with some useful stops in between

There are plans to build the new (conventional) standard gauge railway already agreed (I believe). However I think an airport link similar to the one at Suvarnabhumi would be a better solution. Couldn't they find an old airport a bit closer to Bangkok?

No thanks.

Selfish but as I live in Jomtien I like this idea.

Also Pattaya Airport works for me.

It will just be a joint-use (military and commercial) airport like it already is, but the commercial share will increase. Military and commercial aircraft will use the runaway but there will be different aircraft ramp parking and hangars. Lots of major and minor joint-use airports around the world. Heck, Don Muaeng Airport Bangkok has been like that forever.

yes - I've spent hours in Italy waiting for the military to sort out their various flights before we could take off....

Don't tell us you blame General George Patton for those delays, surely not.rolleyes.gif

please explain....

Yes. Merely a frivolous comment. Not meant to be taken seriously.

So what will the Airforce and the Navy do with their planes? - or will we have to wait whilst they carry out their important military flights without notice?

I see no mention of a rail link - just the prospect of another 3 to 4 years of road works as local routes are upgraded.

Development - big hotels, air planes landing all right next to the Thai military arsenals and the Petro-Chemical Industries biggest installations - boy they really know how to get all the ingredients together for a major air disaster!

It would be ironic if Laos airlines were to use the place - At least they will have a lovely long runway, built with the aid of the US so that B52s could take off with a full bomb payload and drop them indiscriminately upon the Plain of Jars and other scenic parts of Laos....

It wasn't indiscriminate - they were aiming for Laos and they hit it - most of the time!biggrin.png

I would hate to think, and so I certainly don't, that this is nothing more (literally nothing more) than an opportunity to transfer tax revenue over and above that tax revenue recurrently transferred as part of the budget. I don't think it is, but if I did think it is, I wouldn't be the first to think so.

The air force probably own the naval base, ---all of it should be transferred over to actual government-under the umbrella of HM forces.

You are absolutely right - it should be transferred over to the government.

However, given the earning potential of an international airport, both audited and, umm, informal, you can bet your last satang that it will remain firmly "anchored" to the navy!

Great news providing the cost overruns don't go out of sight ! I agree a sky train between certain areas would be great however the airlines will fight that tooth and nail.. I flew out of U-Tapao for about six months in 74..

When Nam fell one of the Vietnamese pilots (two in the cockpit of an F-5 !) ran out of fuel and landed on the highway. The USA Airforce was going to dismantle the aircraft and haul it to U-Tapao... The Vietnamese pilot said just give me some jet fuel and I will fly it there.... they did and he did !!

There were aircraft from Vietnam all over the country when Saigon fell.... many helicopters shot to crap made it across the border... Uncle sugar transferred all or most to the Thai Airforce; or so I was told.... We did recovery which was interesting due to all the bullet holes in the aircraft we recovered...

727Sky. I remember just the way your telling it. I worked in the special security office from 74 to 76, when we got word that Saigon fell, the next thing I knew, all kinds of aircraft were coming in from, seem like all directions and just landing any place they could. People getting out and just running....

The air force probably own the naval base, ---all of it should be transferred over to actual government-under the umbrella of HM forces.

You are absolutely right - it should be transferred over to the government.

However, given the earning potential of an international airport, both audited and, umm, informal, you can bet your last satang that it will remain firmly "anchored" to the navy!

You guys are funny. The Navy gets paid for every plane that lands at U Tapao. It is quite a financial asset and one of the reasons no development so far. The Navy charges too much money. Some thing has changed I'll betcha.

Who Built Those Runways ?

Thai construction workers under the supervision and guidance of USAF contractors and engineers.

".....under the supervision and guidance of USAF contractors and engineers."

And that is why it is still as good as it was 50 years ago.

I think that's more to do with the fact it has been maintained over 50 years and has extremely minimal traffic using it.

But go USA! if it makes you feel better.

There used to be flights to Phuket and Koh Samui from Utapao but they both eventually failed. Pattaya keeps getting bigger so it might be getting closer to critical mass now.

That high speed train between Suvarnabhumi and Utapao they are talking about would probably make this a lot more likely to succeed.

Edited by lapd

Thailand must need three airports to spread the brown envelopes around. There are "certain commercial airports" in this world which alone handle 95 million passengers per year. That's 1 million flights per year, 260,000 passengers per day... whistling.gif

The problem right now is that both Swampy & Don Mueang are handling more flights on a daily basis for what they had room for. They are totally built out to the max right now, If you can explain how the Skytrain can get more people from overseas to Thailand, I am sure that they will listen. Maybe they can put the Skytrain on the new bridge from San Francisco to Bangkok?

I would love to see a Skytrain extension down to Pattaya and beyond. I am also sure it is in the planning stages. But it won't help the jets.

It would make transfers between Utapao and Suvarnabhumi and vice versa faster and more practical compared to using buses. Why would they do that with the skytrain when they already have a high speed airport connector train? They could easily extend that to Utapao. What they are talking about is a completely new high speed train from Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi and then on to Utapao and Rayon. It's just talk right now so don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Edited by lapd

And the only one with properly built runways, thanks to the <deleted>. Nearly 50 year old runways with nary a crack to be found, contrasted to Swampy whose runways were closed for major repairs before its 2nd birthday.

Maybe that has something to do with the amount of traffic and the weight of the loads the runways receive?

How many AB 380 AB340, AB 330, B777, B767, B787, B747 land at Utapao on any given day? UTP had 10 commercial jet arrivals/departures today, all Cessna or ATR 72. In contrast BKK has approximately 800 flights a day, of mostly heavy jets.

Yes, BKK had some serious problems, but they were addressed. Show me any airport surface that can withstand a daily pounding year in, year out without surface fatigue.

Yes, I know your point was to show that the US engineered airport stood up etc. However, even US airports have their problems over time.

You know Andrews AFB in Maryland? It developed a significant dip (2" deep) on Runway 1L/19R . It was caused by water infiltrating the pavement system and transporting soil particles through a leaking culvert underlying the runway. It was fixed.

It's not only the traffic that ages a runway, it's also the weather. So, surviving 50 years of tropical rains is quite a feat.

I've driven on dirt roads in Vanuatu that were build by the US Army engineers in WWll that are still in excellent condition today. That's "dirt" roads that have survived very well for nearly 70 years in a tropical rain-drenched country with frequent typhoons. Actually it was hard for me to believe, but I experienced it myself. BTW, these were isolated roads that are not maintained by anyone.

I also stayed with an old Aussie in the same house where Bob Hope and Eleanor Roosevelt stayed when they were there entertaining the troops. Vanuatu was the staging area for the invasion of Japanese-held Pacific Islands.

Edited by HerbalEd

There used to be flights to Phuket and Koh Samui from Utapao but they both eventually failed. Pattaya keeps getting bigger so it might be getting closer to critical mass now.

That high speed train between Suvarnabhumi and Utapao they are talking about would probably make this a lot more likely to succeed.

Still have them Bangkok Airways flies its little ATR 72.

Who built the runway? I flew B-52s out of there, 3 tours between 1967-1970, and have a good recollection of how it all went. It was built primarily by Thai labor under the supervision of U.S. civilian contractors, mostly on what had been marshland. There is a good size hill / low mountain at KiloSip, just northwest of the base. A huge chunk of it was excavated and used as fill and to make concrete -- they actually had their own cement manufacturing plant on-base, and limestone from that mountain ended up being converted into runway. After about two years of very heavy use, with intense pounding from the B-52s, the runway started coming apart and had to be rebuilt. They actually did this while operations continued, as I remember by using a movable hump that fitted over the portion being repaired. I think it's correct that this original runway is now a taxiway, with a newer runway currently operational.

It's not only the traffic that ages a runway, it's also the weather. So, surviving 50 years of tropical rains is quite a feat.

I've driven on dirt roads in Vanuatu that were build by the US Army engineers in WWll that are still in excellent condition today. That's "dirt" roads that have survived very well for nearly 70 years in a tropical rain-drenched country with frequent typhoons. Actually it was hard for me to believe, but I experienced it myself. BTW, these were isolated roads that are not maintained by anyone.

I also stayed with an old Aussie in the same house where Bob Hope and Eleanor Roosevelt stayed when they were there entertaining the troops. Vanuatu was the staging area for the invasion of Japanese-held Pacific Islands.

I stayed in Port Villa at the old Radisson. I have no idea what it is called today. They had the best croissants I ever ate (Kiwi chef) and the hotel was used as the billet for Kiwi airforce crews. Anyway, New Zealand personnel took over managing major infrastructure and the country benefits from Australian and New Zealand foreign aid.