why no farang bank reps.

yrs.ago we had a bangkok bank rep.[ianguygil] who would look into any concern we had, but now there is no one who can reply to our grievences.

maybe the goverment can find a job for a banking OMBADSMAN.coffee1.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

ianguygil did indeed provide some good assistance/guidance on ThaiVisa...but he was doing that mainly because he wanted to and not because Bangkok Bank started using ThaiVisa as an official communications channel for some banking issues. Unfortunately, too many TV posters started taking advantage of, whining, arguing with him, and always expecting ianguygil assistance for their Bangkok Bank issues...at that point he faded away. Maybe even his Bangkok Bank bosses may have said it's better to have folks use official channels like going to their branch, using the Call Center, etc....but I'm guessing. I see the last time he was online was Aug 13. He indeed provided a lot of good info and assistance...thanks to him for assistance.

ianguygil did indeed provide some good assistance/guidance on ThaiVisa...but he was doing that mainly because he wanted to and not because Bangkok Bank started using ThaiVisa as an official communications channel for some banking issues. Unfortunately, too many TV posters started taking advantage of, whining, arguing with him, and always expecting ianguygil assistance for their Bangkok Bank issues...at that point he faded away. Maybe even his Bangkok Bank bosses may have said it's better to have folks use official channels like going to their branch, using the Call Center, etc....but I'm guessing. I see the last time he was online was Aug 13. He indeed provided a lot of good info and assistance...thanks to him for assistance.

i was one of those who doubted him when i had a problem with bkk.bank being a new member back over 4yrs ago i didnt know who he was,when he offered to help me.[A STUPID TAFF] but he did provde good assistance to most,although i stopped transfering funds through bkk.bank.

it would be good just to have him back as an inderpendent spokesperson.

Yes Ian was a nice guy who gave his own time. Unfortunately he got a lot of hassle off some posters, who couldn't recognise a genuine guy when they saw one. Dave O'c was also a very nice helpful guy who experienced the same. He went wack to NZ.

On the retail side/consumer banking, rather than corporates, most foreigners as individuals in Thailand are not a target market for most Thai banks. In addition expats generally cost more to employ. Often because of regulations it costs more to service foreign clients, as processes may differ. So all round less revenue for more cost isn't a great business model.

Another factor is being licenced to sell products under Thai regulations, which usually tends towards Thais again for certain products as exams need to be passed. In addition there's other compliance angles, like Banks have limitations on the number of work permits they can get automatically, and then need to ask for approval case by case, so they are more likely to employer foreigners in areas of expertise, and higher level where the real value adds could be.

Which brings us back to 99% of clients are Thai, which is what drives the bottom line on retail/ consumer banking when its mass market. Banks have limited resources in various areas, so they try and optimise those resources.

Edited by fletchsmile