ELCB drop in replacement

GaryB1263

If not how can I test the built-in ELCB on the shower heater.

Doesn't it have a test button (which puts a specific resistor that must result in the ELCB tripping)?

Or don't you trust it?

If not how can I test the built-in ELCB on the shower heater.

Doesn't it have a test button (which puts a specific resistor that must result in the ELCB tripping)?

Or don't you trust it?

I didn't see a teat button.

There has to be somewhere I can verify the size (L*W*D). The actual part of the breaker sticking out of the slot in the cover is 35mm * 57mm.

The picture givin is crap. I can see this problem with sourcing Square D RCBOs has come up in Thailand before. Crossy where are You!

I can see this problem with sourcing Square D RCBOs has come up in Thailand before. Crossy where are You!

Eh? Schneider main breakers with built-in RCD/RCBO (whatever you want to call it) are as common as Buffalo shit - practically every mom&pop electrical store will have them in stock.

Love the unused pristine-condition Earth-Ground Bar.

So... where are you hiding the earth-grounds?

I live in View Talay 5. I think the building is 8 years old. I can't see any evidence of grounding anywhere. TIT.

Thanks for the replies.

I can see this problem with sourcing Square D RCBOs has come up in Thailand before. Crossy where are You!

Eh? Schneider main breakers with built-in RCD/RCBO (whatever you want to call it) are as common as Buffalo shit - practically every mom&pop electrical store will have them in stock.

lol. I can hear them now "No hab!" "Next week!"

You may find it easier to just replace the entire control box with one that comes with or can be purchased with an RCD+MCB (RCBO) that fits.

Since you lack a Earth-Ground and live in the 22nd Century you won't want to use an actual ELCB, but instead use an RCD+MCB (RCBO).

in your picture the green wire goes into the breaker but does not seem to come out at the top

Is this your neutral connection or is the neutral connection wired directly to the neutral block ?

Thes breakers are not ELCB and are available in most stores Watsadu for example. and in variable current ratings and are designe to fit in the sandard Box

in your picture the green wire goes into the breaker but does not seem to come out at the top

Is this your neutral connection or is the neutral connection wired directly to the neutral block ?

Thes breakers are not ELCB and are available in most stores Watsadu for example. and in variable current ratings and are designe to fit in the sandard Box

In the Square-D units both the L and N from the top of the incomer go to internal bus-bars which the MCBs clip onto. You can see the live bar in the gap between the incomer and first MCB.

The green wire is indeed the incoming neutral.

Our OP wants to replace the 2-pole incoming MCB with an RCBO to give him earth leakage protection.

In the past 2-pole Square-D RCBOs were as common as hen's teeth, seem to be easier now.

In the Square-D units both the L and N from the top of the incomer go to internal bus-bars which the MCBs clip onto. You can see the live bar in the gap between the incomer and first MCB.

The green wire is indeed the incoming neutral.

Our OP wants to replace the 2-pole incoming MCB with an RCBO to give him earth leakage protection.

In the past 2-pole Square-D RCBOs were as common as hen's teeth, seem to be easier now.

I was in HomeWorks today. They had what the clerk said was the replacement It was 67 amps and the over all length looked longer. I suppose that longer body is where the magic happens.

You may find it easier to just replace the entire control box with one that comes with or can be purchased with an RCD+MCB (RCBO) that fits.

Since you lack a Earth-Ground and live in the 22nd Century you won't want to use an actual ELCB, but instead use an RCD+MCB (RCBO).

Could I run a groung wire to the steel structure of the building? At least it would supply ground to a ELCB.

I forget what "ELCB" means - but it's a "ground fault" detection device identical in function to RCD . The fault is assumed to be going to ground (through a person maybe) although it's really just the difference between current in vs. out. It doesn't need a ground to detect a fault. Having a ground will certainly diffuse a shock hazard from a fault and will trip the RCD without needing a person in the middle.

I was in HomeWorks today. They had what the clerk said was the replacement It was 67 amps and the over all length looked longer. I suppose that longer body is where the magic happens.

Is this still for a Schneider Square-D RCBO main breaker? 67 amps doesn't sound like a normal product. (?) Again, there is only one physical size and they usually come in 40, 45, 50, 63, and 100 amp (to wit).

And, you should be looking at 40-50 amp breaker anyway.

I forget what "ELCB" means - but it's a "ground fault" detection device identical in function to RCD . The fault is assumed to be going to ground (through a person maybe) although it's really just the difference between current in vs. out. It doesn't need a ground to detect a fault. Having a ground will certainly diffuse a shock hazard from a fault and will trip the RCD without needing a person in the middle.

ELCB = Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker - it's used synonymously with RCD, GFI etc etc by the majority of laymen and many equipment manufacturers.

In the industry the term ELCB is reserved for the original voltage operated devices which actually needed a ground to operate. They were unreliable, easily defeated by simple ground faults and are now banned throughout the civilised world, at least for domestic systems.

The device our OP wants is on page 7 of this document http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Circuit%20Protection/Miniature%20Circuit%20Breakers/0739DB9901.pdf

Probably the QO245MBGX30 (45A / 30mA)

Available in 16, 20, 32, 45 and 63A versions (all are 30mA leakage)

EDIT Charnchai have them at 2,640 Baht + VAT http://www.charnchai.net/product-en-1018745-5529517-Main+circuit+breakers+with+vacuum+++leak+QO+MBGX+Type+2+Pole+45+Amp.,+10kA..html

spd_20130718152300_b.jpg

The device our OP wants is on page 7 of this document http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Circuit%20Protection/Miniature%20Circuit%20Breakers/0739DB9901.pdf

EDIT Charnchai have them at 2,640 Baht + VAT http://www.charnchai.net/product-en-1018745-5529517-Main+circuit+breakers+with+vacuum+++leak+QO+MBGX+Type+2+Pole+45+Amp.,+10kA..html

spd_20130718152300_b.jpg

Beware that Charnchai have not updated their website prices for about 2-3 years though - so everything costs more than they advertise.

Is this still for a Schneider Square-D RCBO main breaker? 67 amps doesn't sound like a normal product. (?) Again, there is only one physical size and they usually come in 40, 45, 50, 63, and 100 amp (to wit).

And, you should be looking at 40-50 amp breaker anyway.

Yes. It was a 63 amp breaker. I am looking for a 50 amp.

spd_20130718152300_b.jpg

Yes! That's the one. Does anyone know where I can find this breaker around Pattaya

spd_20130718152300_b.jpg

Yes! That's the one. Does anyone know where I can find this breaker around Pattaya

I got all the way on the order to the CC info. It was all in Thai and they only accept 10 or so banks.

TIT.

I'm pretty sure Home Pro, Global, (forget some of the others there) will all carry RCBO mains for Square-D in the 40-50amp range.

Isn't the only HomePro in Pattaya located near BigC Extra?

I thought somebody might respond to help. I haven't been in Pattaya for years - but I remember there's a Home Pro in S. Pattaya near where Sukhumvit and the road that goes to Jomtiem intersect. Cheers.

I thought somebody might respond to help. I haven't been in Pattaya for years - but I remember there's a Home Pro in S. Pattaya near where Sukhumvit and the road that goes to Jomtiem intersect. Cheers.

The only DIY home improvement stores in South Pattaya that I know of are HomeWorks by Big C near the intersection of Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai, and Thai Watsadu on Sukhumvit between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapruek. Both of them probably have ECLBs. In fact, I think I bought my Square-D ECLB at HomeWorks.

The only DIY home improvement stores in South Pattaya that I know of are HomeWorks by Big C near the intersection of Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai, and Thai Watsadu on Sukhumvit between Soi Watboon and Soi Chaiyapruek. Both of them probably have ECLBs. In fact, I think I bought my Square-D ECLB at HomeWorks.

Thanks Bank. HomeWorks didn't have the one that Crossy identified for me. Next on my list is HomePro. I might check out Waisadu just for GP.

Archived