Known American scammer cheats Thai Man in Pattaya out of 32,000 Baht

webfact

This is so much Karmic payback for the scams pulled on farang by Thais.wai2.gif

Which doesn't mean they shouldn't lock him up of course.

Deport him, along with the other Burmese Cambodian, Malaysian and Laotian scam artists operating in this country.

Perhaps you don't know how the scam works: the perpetrator could be anywhere in the World, of any nationality and of either sex, he/she is merely representing him/herself as an American at Swampy immigration. Nobody knows the true situation except him/her and the "Thai" woman.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, just wow. There's a lot of very unhappy people here and why I often don't read through a lot of comments. Feel sorry for a significant number of you.

1. Because some Thai's scam foreigners, well tough luck mate. It's karma (although the guy getting scammed here could very well be a perfectly decent human being).

2. This happens everywhere. People prey on people wanting companionship, yet magically, Thailand, blah blah.

3. I doubt he was likely hoping to scam the guy 'coming to meet him' as some have suggested. What scammer would pay someone else money, in the hope of scamming them more later on.

4. This guy like many others, simply believed in the genuineness of someone else and was taken advantage of. Just like I was by an Englishman a few years ago in Chiang Mai, who I genuinely thought needed help. Too bad he was another scumbag. The world is screwed because people lack compassion for others. Lack of compassion allows scammers to behave like they do with no thoughts for others. When people get screwed over there goes their compassion for others and the cycle just spirals downwards.

I feel sorry for the guy. I don't think it's karma getting him (where's the proof he did anything to anyone), unlike half of the posts suggest. <deleted>.

Hear, hear, another rare voice of reason pops up in in the bitter TV posters and 'retaliationists soup'. The statement that the Thai was also going to scam the foreigner is of course, completely baseless. If you want things to change I would suggest not tarring everyone with the same brush going forward as people tend to fulfill such projections if repeatedly meeting with such prejudice.

Being too trusting is perhaps not good for anyone in financial transactions, however, either way, most of us will run into dishonesty at some time in our lives and lose something because of that, even if it's just a relation/friendship.

If he thought "with the little head" as some suggested in a 'blame the victim' turn around, well, then doesn't that also apply to every foreigner coming to Thailand with relationship ambitions, either for a gf by the hour or a marriage?

In regards to the last statement above, in the end it's our individual karma that has us end up in a mess like this but karma isn't like a football match between countries.

How many foreign men continue to send money monthly for years to a woman they met once for a week, they feel some moral obligation, why? because they had sex with the woman. I have a friend who is doing this, I told him to stop. She was ok before she ever met him and who knows how many men she has sending her money. It would be different if they had some kind of relationship other than Baht.

Never trust a man with 2 x first names ...

90% of the scam emails I get in my Spam these days are from people using two common English first names. It's a dead giveaway, and they are invariably from West Africa.

This scammer was probably not American but a Nigerian, not I wouldn't put it past a Yank if he thought he could get away with it, but Nigerians posing as Americans to scam the vulnerable lovelorn is quite common.

Of course you're right, no American would do such a thing.

Probably, not for a pathetic 35 000.....Thb.

...and an update on the score folks...

Thai Scammers: 35,876,459

Farang Scammers: 6

blink.png

Just goes to prove how dumb those farang are doesn't it ?

Don't most scams prey on greed? Thai punter thought he would be getting a shedload of money out of the mug, but it turns out he was the mug due to greed.

Every "Con" or "Scam" is effective because of this key trait,.......people's greed. A con only works if the victim thinks they are getting a big pay day, or huge benefit that otherwise would not happen.

There are a million ways to be conned or scammed, and every variation gives the illusion that you are getting something for nothing. This is where the addage comes from "if it sounds too good to be true, it is"........if you are going to give small money and come out of it with big money, you are being scammed, because nobody is that lucky.

This scam worked because he had a fish on the line, and I don't buy the "Love" factor in this case. Its possible, but doubtful because we are in Thailand.

These scams on dating sites have been going on for years now, and sometimes they do find lonely "suckers" that give money in some similar fashion. In those cases, the sucker thinks they are finding the evasive "love" instead of a financial windfall, and give their money loosely. But again, because its Thailand, I feel the financial benefit to the gay Thai guy was the bigger interest.

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

Thank you dotpoom! As soon as I saw the headline I thought "Let the Thai bashing begin....." A lot of the expats on TV seem to think only Thais are capable of inflicting misery and malfeasance and worse, the seem to find it humorous when it's done to a Thai. Double standards and smacks of turdism!

Yeah it's a relatively small amount for the scam, but the smaller the easier for it to work, and I doubt this was small for the victim.

People getting scammed happens a lot, it is usually not reported, and yes greed of the victim is usually a big part of it.

I have been scammed twice myself ...

First time it was total greed on my part and I totally deserved it. Worth the lesson. I was only 20.

Second time it was an online thing and the perp took advantage of my bleeding heart (fell for a sob story but turned out to be a scam). So next time bleeding hard hardened. Oh well.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

I have to agree. This world is full of scammers and when they are caught they just get a slap on the wrist. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Well it should have read American and Thai scammer cheats Thai man out of 32,000 baht, but that's the news for you, i think the Farang's are now starting to play the pay back game, the Thai used to con the Farang using their love as a tool, now Farang's are conning the Thai's using their greed and stupidity as a tool. it is now a way of life in Thailand as off late. Could have been worse, could have been 60 million baht, like that Farang was conned out off, STUPIDITY

I have to agree. This world is full of scammers and when they are caught they just get a slap on the wrist. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Then half of Thailand will be in prison, so that wont work

A thief is a thief and remains the lowest form of life just barely above child molestors, murderers and rapists.

Sorry, but as my dear old dad used to say: "A thief will only steal your money, but a liar can get you hanged!"

This scammer was probably not American but a Nigerian, not I wouldn't put it past a Yank if he thought he could get away with it, but Nigerians posing as Americans to scam the vulnerable lovelorn is quite common.

Of course you're right, no American would do such a thing.

Of course there are Americans who would do such a thing, but this is a scam known to be used by some Nigerians already, it was just modified it as far as targeting gays instead of women. If you were going to scam someone...would you really tell them what country you were from so the police could narrow the search for you a little more?

Edited by Lee4Life

It's abosolutely scandoulous that a Farang may dare to scam a Thai in Pattaya and that the farang scammed the Thai but I have a feeling that it was the farang that was going to be scammed for a lot more money by the Thai gay guy and it bit him up his ass....What go's around comes around hey....

why do people constantly refer to homosexuals as "gay"? there is nothing gay about their life style, don't want to get banned so will not elaborate, but you know what I mean. until the homosexuals took over the term gay used to and still does mean "happy" at ease, and genreraly carefree!

It's abosolutely scandoulous that a Farang may dare to scam a Thai in Pattaya and that the farang scammed the Thai but I have a feeling that it was the farang that was going to be scammed for a lot more money by the Thai gay guy and it bit him up his ass....What go's around comes around hey....

why do people constantly refer to homosexuals as "gay"? there is nothing gay about their life style, don't want to get banned so will not elaborate, but you know what I mean. until the homosexuals took over the term gay used to and still does mean "happy" at ease, and genreraly carefree!

Yes I know what you mean. Bigotry.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nigerian scammers you this type of scam they mostly always use 2 first english 1st names as full name, check your spam email names my husband tell me like john paul,or ect

Edited by pach16

...and an update on the score folks...

Thai Scammers: 35,876,459

Farang Scammers: 6

blink.png

And so posters like you manipulate this into another Thai bashing thread.

Dumb and dumber comments by those of low intellect

hyku1147> it's teerak (ทีรัก)

your spelling comes from some parts of Isaan (like many bar girls) where they use to pronounce ร (roo rua) as ล (loo ling)

or they are just too lazy pronouncing roo rua corectly

hyku1147> it's teerak (ทีรัก)

your spelling comes from some parts of Isaan (like many bar girls) where they use to pronounce ร (roo rua) as ล (loo ling)

or they are just too lazy pronouncing roo rua corectly

Oh my God! This is earth shattering news!biggrin.png

Incidentally, your English grammar, and your sentence and paragraph construction, is atrocious.

thank you for your compliment

I am sure you are fluent in many other languages than English only