US wants to have a share in infrastructure projects in Thailand

webfact

Maybe the USA is feeling left out of the economic party going on between Thailand, Japan and more importantly China, relating to the recent discussions about improvements to the transport infrastructure and aviation servicing.

But I would beg a couple of questions.

Which would you rather impress your neighbours with. A sleek looking bullet train system or a great big lumbering looking old loco system???

Does the USA have anything like a bullet train system to offer?

Tofu bridges, tofu buildings, and, now, tofu trains. If you trust Chinese safety standards, you're welcome to live in the brand new built apartments that collapse, or drive on their brand new expressway bridges that fall over, or perhaps these sleek new trains--made by the same people who make the falling down apartments and bridges. And, btw, who poison their own infant formula for profit and dump mercury directly into their rivers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the USA is feeling left out of the economic party going on between Thailand, Japan and more importantly China, relating to the recent discussions about improvements to the transport infrastructure and aviation servicing.

Which would you rather impress your neighbours with. A sleek looking bullet train system or a great big lumbering looking old loco system???

+1

this is the best of all comments.

And therein lies the problem. A bullet train might look impressive but is aimed at moving people quickly across long distances. A big lumbering loco would be able to move large amounts of goods and materials from inland to deep sea ports and enable the expansion of the manufacturing economy. Another choice of image over substance.

And therein lies the problem. A bullet train might look impressive but is aimed at moving people quickly across long distances. A big lumbering loco would be able to move large amounts of goods and materials from inland to deep sea ports and enable the expansion of the manufacturing economy. Another choice of image over substance.

actually, transport by road is cheaper, quicker and more flexible than transport by train in Thailand, and most of Thailand's export industries are located near seaports - big lumbering locos would solve a problem Thailand doesn't even have.

I think the american fella was winding him up . "During courtesy call"? Phone call ?. I don't think the us would have asked I'd migraine if it happened at all Thailand offered and he just said yes to get rid of him biggrin.png

I wonder if the US is the third biggest foreign investor in Thailand because of the deal they had when using Thailand to war with Vietnam.

I find it hard to believe the US is going to invest in rail and road projects as well as locomotives when their own country is falling apart.

The American rail system is in shambles with trains coming off the tracks at 60 mph.

What is American going to invest with? Do they run presses and print out a few container loads of cash and pass it on in exchange for "technology"

which I would say would be safe to assume "spy" technology.

Maybe they should prove they can take care of their own country before offering to help take care of another's country. Their track record is not good

in this area, and I would hate to think what a carte blanche import permissions could lead to. IMHO

I think they mean US manufacturers and companies such as Ford, GM, hard disks, CPU's, smartphones etc.

These companies are very profitable and can not only take care of themselves but help create jobs for Thailand.

Your angry but uninformed outburst is duly noted. thumbsup.gif

Not angry, nice little arrogant attempt to discredit, but take a look at some of the recent headlines around you won't you?

everything the US has manufactured has spyware in it including your refrigerator and dishwasher, alarm clock and on and on.

--- U.S. Embedded Spyware Overseas, Report Claims --- The Government Is Spying On Us Through Our Computers, Phones, Cars, Buses, Streetlights, At Airports And On The Street, Via Mobile Scanners And Drones, Through Our Smart Meters, And In Many Other Ways --- NSA reportedly installing spyware on US-made hardware --- U.S. cloud firms face backlash from NSA spy programs

the list goes on and on should you care to take a look for yourself.

Well if the US government really wanted to know the secrets of the JAG household refrigerator ( and I can't imagine why but never mind), there is no need to bug my fridge.

CIA, if you are listening: Little Miss JAG can't get enough of strawberry flavoured drinking yoghurt, Best Beloved freezes all sorts of obscure Laos fungi which she collects "from the mountains", I am partial to vanilla ice cream and the odd bottle of Chang at weekends, and my stepson will hoover up everything he can get his paws on!

Got that? Good, you can get back to working out how to make Castro's cigar explode.

Edited by JAG

"A share of the cake?" Same on Patrick Murphy, if he in fact said this. This merits an inquiry to the US State Department for clarification and a clarity State's intentions to invest US taxpayer money in a military dictatorship.

Money plus profit has no conscience. The West will prostitute themselves if there is a profit involved. Money now is the great equalizer. Governments are now and always have been shills for big business they must get off of their arse and starting earning the big cash donations they got to be elected. They must leave a trail of bread crumbs for us the little guy so that we stupidly re-elect them and the circle goes round. Governments kind of remind me of Judas who sold out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

The best way to have the Americans stop calling you undemocratic is is give them lucrative business opportunities. It worked for the previous regime.

Prayut is well aware that America viewed Thailand as a strategic ally and Thailand was one of many platforms in Asia for American with the aim of essentially surrounding China. This was highlighted by the USA in WW2 and again during the Vietnam war. The fact that Thailand and China are opening up economic ties goes against the grain of America's plans so this is a predictable move by the USA and the timing is no coincidence considering Glyn Davies is taking over the helm as the US ambassador to Thailand.

Glyn Davies ia a man to be watched closely.

The best way to have the Americans stop calling you undemocratic is is give them lucrative business opportunities. It worked for the previous regime.

Prayut is well aware that America viewed Thailand as a strategic ally and Thailand was one of many platforms in Asia for American with the aim of essentially surrounding China. This was highlighted by the USA in WW2 and again during the Vietnam war. The fact that Thailand and China are opening up economic ties goes against the grain of America's plans so this is a predictable move by the USA and the timing is no coincidence considering Glyn Davies is taking over the helm as the US ambassador to Thailand.

Just a question , What was highlighted during world war 2 ?, The US fought to liberate the Chinese's who had been over run by the Japanese whose ally , Thailand was also bombed.by the Allies. US General "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell was Installed as head of a Chinese army in return for Billions of dollars of Lend Lease arms and materials from the US. Or did you mean something else ??

Edited by ExPratt

Just a question , What was highlighted during world war 2 ?, The US fought to liberate the Chinese's who had been over run by the Japanese whose ally , Thailand was also bombed.by the Allies. US General "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell was Installed as head of a Chinese army in return for Billions of dollars of Lend Lease arms and materials from the US. Or did you mean something else ??

Shhh ExPratt - leave him be, if he is concentrating on watching Glyn Davies closely he won't be posting nonsense here!

Edited by JAG

nah, don't believe a word of it. I don't believe Murphy would use a phrase like that to a Thai who was probably saying "solly?" "solly?"... I find it hard to believe that any credible politician would share any thoughts like that over the phone to another politician when he knows that that politician will publicly discuss their chat... I find it hard that the US would talk about the infrastructure with the present Thai government giving what they have said about this "government" being illegal and not democratic etc I think they would wait to talk to the next (if there will be one) democratically elected PM. Calling b/s on this article

Really confusing for the anti-everything-Thai lot on here who cant seem to understand that business and money are a completely different thing from political expediency.

Could it be that the US is regretting their hasty decision to condemn the coup in Thailand ? After all they did support the 2013 military coup in Egypt and still support the military dictatorship there.

I heard this rumor in a hotel room while I was on holiday!

Seriously though I adhere to facts and in this case you are quite correct and I thank you for highlighting my mistake. To Err is Human as they say....Unless your a PTP supporter in which case you are always right and will never ever admit being wrong.

Kinda like your tourist numbers that you refuse to acknowledge that you are wrong when facts showed other wise.

I notice your like of JAG's post that offered me veiled condescension as well. Sooooo UDD.

​Remember humans make mistakes...A great lesson there for you and your peers.

Edited by djjamie

Really confusing for the anti-everything-Thai lot on here who cant seem to understand that business and money are a completely different thing from political expediency.

Could it be that the US is regretting their hasty decision to condemn the coup in Thailand ? After all they did support the 2013 military coup in Egypt and still support the military dictatorship there.

Why would the US regret condemning the coup? Not that it is relevant at all to the discussion. Until there is an announcement from a

US corporation being interested in Thailands infrastructure, I would not believe a word of what the TBS has translated.

I dont even think it possible for a US corporation to do any kind of public works in this country. The US has a law called the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act witch will be enforced if there is one peep in the press that brown envelopes are being exchanged.

Unless of course your utopia has suddenly become corruption free.

Edited by dcutman

Every US Ambasdador in every station, regardless of the host country form of government, pushes US business interests. So this is not news.

What would be news is if the Thai government conducted infrastructure projects in a transparent way so as to minimize corruption and improve the end product.

Every US Ambasdador in every station, regardless of the host country form of government, pushes US business interests. So this is not news.

What would be news is if the Thai government conducted infrastructure projects in a transparent way so as to minimize corruption and improve the end product.

With all posts where you stated that the USA would do this or that up to invade the country, you seem to condone hypocrisy.

Is Thailand really wanting/needing a 'bullet' train or dependable freight service for its factories and farms? Should Thailand buy for its needs or for looks/prestige?

If the US companies can't meet the specs/price of the concession, they won't be considered as contenders. Thailand doesn't love the US to buy US made for any other reason than value-for-money.

actually, transport by road is cheaper, quicker and more flexible than transport by train in Thailand, and most of Thailand's export industries are located near seaports - big lumbering locos would solve a problem Thailand doesn't even have.

actually, transport by road is cheaper, quicker and more flexible than transport by train

Some posters are not in the least bothered by provable facts:

today's average train has an efficiency of 400 ton-miles per gallon whereas trucks currently hover around 130 ton-miles per gallon.

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/rail-versus-trucking-whos-the-greenest-freight-carrier.html#14335373289211&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=

Freight overwhelmingly travels on the ground by two means: truck or train. Trains carry freight with nearly ten times the energy efficiency of trucks per ton/mile

http://grist.org/article/freight-trains-19th-century-technology-due-for-a-21st-century-revival/

Then you factor in the wear and tear of highways, increased truck traffic endangering passenger cars and buses, crowding the roads, and slowing traffic in general, increased fuel usage driving up costs for non-commercial traffic and hurting Thailand's balance of trade (importing fuel), etc.

Since you made your post without any supporting links, expecting us to take your word for what you wrote, do you mind giving some links to prove it?

It is well known that powerful cartels control the trucking industry in Thailand (keeping prices higher than they should be) and that they have been the number one impediment to improving the rail system.

most of Thailand's export industries are located near seaports - big lumbering locos would solve a problem Thailand doesn't even have.

Are you just against US involvement or are you against Thailand upgrading its rail system?

Edited by rametindallas

This is about US investment although I doubt the article. Thailand is the world's 9th largest car manufacturer exporting about 1/2 of the cars it builds. This creates a lot of jobs and other money including taxes for Thailand.

Yet not one of these cars or any of its components or even a piece of the manufacturing process was ever developed by a Thai. It mostly came from Japan and Germany and the US. Thailand is fortunate to have these investments. Neither China nor Russia can build a good car and they have nothing to offer Thailand. Additionally both of those countries already have lots of very poor people and China in particular needs foreign investment and manufacturing. That's what it does for a living.

Oh why bother....

actually, transport by road is cheaper, quicker and more flexible than transport by train

today's average train has an efficiency of 400 ton-miles per gallon whereas trucks currently hover around 130 ton-miles per gallon.

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/rail-versus-trucking-whos-the-greenest-freight-carrier.html#14335373289211&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=

Freight overwhelmingly travels on the ground by two means: truck or train. Trains carry freight with nearly ten times the energy efficiency of trucks per ton/mile

http://grist.org/article/freight-trains-19th-century-technology-due-for-a-21st-century-revival/

Then you factor in the wear and tear of highways, increased truck traffic endangering passenger cars and buses, crowding the roads, and slowing traffic in general, increased fuel usage driving up costs for non-commercial traffic and hurting Thailand's balance of trade (importing fuel), etc.

Since you made your post without any supporting links, expecting us to take your word for what you wrote, do you mind giving some links to prove it?

It is well known that powerful cartels control the trucking industry in Thailand (keeping prices higher than they should be) and that they have been the number one impediment to improving the rail system.

most of Thailand's export industries are located near seaports - big lumbering locos would solve a problem Thailand doesn't even have.

Are you just against US involvement or are you against Thailand upgrading its rail system?

I was just getting ready to respond but you did a great job.

The US is more than 3,000 miles/5,000 kms across. The Railroads are expert at moving freight from East to West or even to middle areas by train. It's cheaper than trucking or sending through the Panama Canal by ship.

You mentioned fuel which is true. There's also labor. It takes one or two drivers per truck, but the trailers for many trucks can be put on one train with far less traveling labor. Trucking companies load their trailers on flatbed rail cars and send them cross country. The trains also carry shipping containers from the ports.

It's also faster. The train can run almost 24/7 while the truckers will stop to rest and sleep. At best a truck can run 12 out of 24 hours while a train just keeps rolling.

If anyone knows how to move freight safely, quickly and economically it's the US railroads.

post-164212-0-31791800-1433541213_thumb.

post-164212-0-18391200-1433541206_thumb.

post-164212-0-22761300-1433541211_thumb.

The Merkins need to invest in their own infrastructure projects. Latest I heard, they have something like 10,000 bridges that are in disrepair? Just sayin'. coffee1.gif

When you learn the difference between the US government and the profitable private sector, get back to me. The private sector has big investments in Thailand.

I do realize that the UK and Australia are perfect in every way so I have nothing negative to say. thumbsup.gif

I heard this rumor in a hotel room while I was on holiday!

Seriously though I adhere to facts and in this case you are quite correct and I thank you for highlighting my mistake. To Err is Human as they say....Unless your a PTP supporter in which case you are always right and will never ever admit being wrong.

Kinda like your tourist numbers that you refuse to acknowledge that you are wrong when facts showed other wise.

I notice your like of JAG's post that offered me veiled condescension as well. Sooooo UDD.

​Remember humans make mistakes...A great lesson there for you and your peers.

Haha , fair enough. At the time in usual haunts for Farang tourist there was very few , I thinks it because the Chinese don't go for a walk in the Morning to get a paper and Full English. I came out one morning to do the same and there was 4 coach loads of Chinese disembarking at the hotel opposite . So the numbers probably are there but they re being shunted around en masse.

Fortunately or unfortunately for yourself I am almost finished a book called The Burma Road about the allies role in Burma and China , Mainly about Stillwell, so I'm not usually such a font of knowledge. Good book to read if you get a chance mate thumbsup.gif

I was just getting ready to respond but you did a great job.

The US is more than 3,000 miles/5,000 kms across. The Railroads are expert at moving freight from East to West or even to middle areas by train. It's cheaper than trucking or sending through the Panama Canal by ship.

You mentioned fuel which is true. There's also labor. It takes one or two drivers per truck, but the trailers for many trucks can be put on one train with far less traveling labor. Trucking companies load their trailers on flatbed rail cars and send them cross country. The trains also carry shipping containers from the ports.

It's also faster. The train can run almost 24/7 while the truckers will stop to rest and sleep. At best a truck can run 12 out of 24 hours while a train just keeps rolling.

If anyone knows how to move freight safely, quickly and economically it's the US railroads.

attachicon.gifupo.jpg

attachicon.gifup0.jpg

attachicon.gifupee.jpg

Agree they move Shed loads of freight as do Australia. I'm on the circulation list for the California High speed Rail project and they are bogged down to say the least with law suits , Safety issues ect , nothing started I believe. On the list for self interest read to pounce with a Resume as soon as Track contractor is announced. I thing the US would be Rolling stock advise and supply for Freight rather than build it . Whoever does build them will be using quite a bit of foreign and illegal foreign labour probably supplied by an agent to keep the contractor blind. There will not be enough skill or experience for that amount of work in Thailand so they will need plenty of Expats in Consultant and Managerial positions , they will not pay for expats to build

The Merkins need to invest in their own infrastructure projects. Latest I heard, they have something like 10,000 bridges that are in disrepair? Just sayin'. coffee1.gif

When you learn the difference between the US government and the profitable private sector, get back to me. The private sector has big investments in Thailand.

I do realize that the UK and Australia are perfect in every way so I have nothing negative to say. thumbsup.gif

You brought up Amtrak as good example moving goods. Still

"“The trains that link global centers of learning, finance and power on the East Coast lumber through tunnels dug just after the Civil War, and cross century-old bridges that sometimes jam when they swing open to let tugboats pass,” according to the AP. “Hundreds of miles of overhead wires that deliver power to locomotives were hung during the Great Depression…. By one estimate, it would take $21 billion just to replace parts still in use beyond their intended lives.”"

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0517/Amtrak-Just-how-bad-is-America-s-infrastructure-video

You brought up Amtrak as good example moving goods. Still

"“The trains that link global centers of learning, finance and power on the East Coast lumber through tunnels dug just after the Civil War, and cross century-old bridges that sometimes jam when they swing open to let tugboats pass,” according to the AP. “Hundreds of miles of overhead wires that deliver power to locomotives were hung during the Great Depression…. By one estimate, it would take $21 billion just to replace parts still in use beyond their intended lives.”"

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2015/0517/Amtrak-Just-how-bad-is-America-s-infrastructure-video

I didn't bring up Amtrak. It's a government entity and not a freight railroad. The freight railroads are private companies.

You brought up Amtrak. facepalm.gif