Beer in Pattaya

Years now have put up with the 50 baht bottles of tasteless dross that passes off as lager,utterly disgusting,but social gatherings dictate that is what is drunk.

Broke free recently had a Boddingtons (120 Baht a pint) or three,wonderful taste,Guinness too (150 baht) Forget just what I missed ,a truly smooth and satisfying drink.

Beer itself,be it made from wheat,barley or hops,is wonderful stuff,just forgot how wonderful it was until last night

The Malaysian produced Guinness,just wonder if there is a difference between the Irish stuff

Topic title maybe 'Beer in Pattaya' but everyone drinks a beer now and then so will move the topic to Pub fun where I think it will get lots of attention. smile.png

Actually it's barley and hops because hops are used just to give the beer that slightly bitter taste. The malted barley and perhaps another starch such as another grain and brewer's yeast is about all that's usually in it.

The ingredients for beer are cheap unless maybe they can't grow barley in Thailand. I know some grow hops. I don't know why they put crap in the beer because even good beer is wildly profitable making a lot of very big companies and founders very rich in the West.

Boddingtons in a can is not a patch on the draught IMO.

That said, a can of Boddies is better than no Boddies at all.

For you light-weights it is OK because at 4.7% abv it is less than LEO biggrin.png

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/655/1798/

Will comment on the irish Guinness after my trip to Dublin in July. IMO a Guinness in a bar in Dublin is far superior to anything brewed in Malaysia

Edited by Jip99

Boddingtons, Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale currently available on draught in Witherspoons - Soi Buakhow near corner with Soi Lengkee.

They also have a lot of other beers in bottles - London Pride and various German beers and Laos Beer dark and light thumbsup.gif

I saw that the Sportsman had London Pride on draught as a special on Fridays at 160baht. I am sure there are others offering?

Guinness is of course available all over but as I am not a fan no idea where it is good.

Bottled beer in Thailand will use rice for brewing,it just tastes so foul

In your opinion - it doesn't taste foul to me..

If it is not to your taste just don't drink it.

I have adapted to the taste of LEO and will have the occasional Chang.I can drink Singha if pushed but have never taken to Archa. That is MY personal taste and if I could get Angkor regularly, I would drink that..

But I would certainly take the Thai beers over the gaseous stuff like Heineken anytime. The imported beers have largely disappointed me - especially Guinness - and they do not represent good value.

Edited by Jip99

I have adapted to the taste of LEO and will have the occasional Chang.I can drink Singha if pushed but have never taken to Archa. That is MY personal taste and if I could get Angkor regularly, I would drink that..

But I would certainly take the Thai beers over the gaseous stuff like Heineken anytime. The imported beers have largely disappointed me - especially Guinness - and they do not represent good value.

Yes must be an acquired taste,guess you could get used to drinking anything actually,even vinegar,balsamic will do for me thanks.

It just tastes worse and worse,,I bet its brewed then straight out to the bar beer,not left to linger a while to acquire a taste.

There are instances though it can be classed as a half decent drink,mixing it with a bottle of Sprite,a nice shandy big glass, full of ice cubes., but my apologies to a bottle of Sprite for half destroying its flavour

Yes must be an acquired taste,guess you could get used to drinking anything actually,even vinegar,balsamic will do for me thanks.

It just tastes worse and worse,,I bet its brewed then straight out to the bar beer,not left to linger a while to acquire a taste.

There are instances though it can be classed as a half decent drink,mixing it with a bottle of Sprite,a nice shandy big glass, full of ice cubes., but my apologies to a bottle of Sprite for half destroying its flavour

You won't catch me drinking that Sprite sh!te, and as for putting ice in beer you should be ashamed. Almost OK in England because it doesn't melt in 5 minutes.....

Actually it's barley and hops because hops are used just to give the beer that slightly bitter taste. The malted barley and perhaps another starch such as another grain and brewer's yeast is about all that's usually in it.

The ingredients for beer are cheap unless maybe they can't grow barley in Thailand. I know some grow hops. I don't know why they put crap in the beer because even good beer is wildly profitable making a lot of very big companies and founders very rich in the West.

Exactly. No barley in Thailand whatsoever. All barley malted and imported from Australia. And yes beer has 3 ingredients, malted barley, hops and water. Yeast added during brewing process as fermentation agent.

Boddingtons in a can is not a patch on the draught IMO.

That said, a can of Boddies is better than no Boddies at all.

For you light-weights it is OK because at 4.7% abv it is less than LEO biggrin.png

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/655/1798/

Will comment on the irish Guinness after my trip to Dublin in July. IMO a Guinness in a bar in Dublin is far superior to anything brewed in Malaysia

You might this interesting:

http://beerbeer.org/?p=8893