Widespread public support for farang woman denounced by Thai press

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- Manager Online and some other Thai news websites cried foul and published a photo of a western woman in bikini bathing at the canal in the heart of Chiang Mai, saying she has acted improperly.

However, instead of inciting online outrage against her, most Thai Facebook users poured support to her with “so what” comments. Several noted that several Thai women were dressed in much more obscene dress when they played water splashing in the Chiang Mai canal during the Songkran celebration.

“Speechless! Young farang woman dressed in bikini baths in Chiang Mai canal,” the headline of Manager screams.

post-87022-0-78215300-1433559564_thumb.j

[Photo credit: Manager Online]

Manager reported that Chiang Mai residents became speechless to see a western tourist bathing on the bank of the canal along Manee Nopparat Road near the Lok Mori Temple, seemingly without a care in the world.

The news website further said the woman apparently did not understand the good culture of Chiang Mai people so saw no problem in wearing a bikini in a public place.

Many Facebook users reacted by saying that there was no sign that says swimming in the canal was prohibited.

“Excuse me, she was dressed more politely than Thai women during the Songkran festival. Her dress was not sexually provocative and did not look obscene like our own people. This kind of news should not have been publicized because it shows that our own people are hypocrites,” a Facebook user, who goes by the name of Nuther Hunheyin said in Thai.

“It's just a canal, for God sake!” another comment said.

Another Facebook user said children in the area swam naked everyday and some teenage couples even had sex in the canal during the Songkran festival.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the Manager did a lot good jobs in the past, sometimes they really lose the connection to the reality.

If she would be topless we could discuss about it....I wouldn't have a problem with it, and actually old Thailand wouldn't have a problem with it, but we could discuss if it is really necessary. But she on the picture has normal swimming clothes...so what is the problem?

emm, no comment

About the other things that go on in there, but good luck to anyone who really wants to go and swim in it, they must be brave !!!

Exactly, they should be concerned that no-one warned her that she could have caught all manner of rat borne or other diseases from that infested cesspit, with the resulting negative publicity in the media.

I want to know what offence this causes anyone, even if she was naked what actual PHYSICAL harm does it do, we're born naked better still concentrate on moronic driving.........oh but wait its ok to kill and maim innocent people because the drivers are fully clothed right!!!!!!!!

Ban all clothes I say

emm, no comment

About the other things that go on in there, but good luck to anyone who really wants to go and swim in it, they must be brave !!!

It's good to see that you're commenting on your own comments... lol.. so the both of you getting alone

well than?

"speechless" huh,I once told some architects their price was ridiculous, I got an e mail back saying how ALL the staff there were

" speechless". at my comments...........personally Id say they spent their whole lives being told they were incredible or something, maybe the truth came as a shock.

Got the work done for a third the price in the end

and now for what an innocent man observes.

Whether you can see it or not, this is the power of the unchecked press.

They make a comment that is ludicrous and inane yet it has the effect of causing public outcry both in the yay and the nay.

I can smell Murdochs wallet from here.

Wake up people, the media doesn't give a monkey's about what is right or wrong. Only what sells. $$$$$$$$$$$

Funny how people can be so hypocryte when they have the chance to do so...

Thais should look at soi cowboy or nana plaza first, before bashing on a normal person doing nothing wrong.

Meanwhile back at mama Thais kitchen she and almost every other Thai woman under 90 years old walks about in PUBLIC all over THailand wearing those completely shameless second skin yoga tights- with no covering ie.vagina completely front and center and almost exposed- AND NO_ONE gives a toss or says or does a thing about it-I support the THai Fathers who are trying to preserve THai culture but please Leaders-clean up your own very dirty house first before you complain about mine.

While the Manager did a lot good jobs in the past, sometimes they really lose the connection to the reality.

If she would be topless we could discuss about it....I wouldn't have a problem with it, and actually old Thailand wouldn't have a problem with it, but we could discuss if it is really necessary. But she on the picture has normal swimming clothes...so what is the problem?

The problem is Thailand's inbuilt nationalism and racism!

"speechless" huh,I once told some architects their price was ridiculous, I got an e mail back saying how ALL the staff there were

" speechless". at my comments...........personally Id say they spent their whole lives being told they were incredible or something, maybe the truth came as a shock.

Got the work done for a third the price in the end

I want to print this and frame it .. it is Thai Visa all in one comment.

How the <deleted> did we get from Bikini scandal to your personal problems?

Has it really come to picking out one word in an entire article, and then going off on a merry goose chase with it?

Amazing farang. "All about you."

Thanks for the laugh. Really.

Nice to see Thai people offering more understanding than what is generally offered to Thais here on TV for a reverse scenario.

That being said, when I lived in CM many years ago, it had never occurred to me to strip down to bathing shorts and get into the moat/canal. If you don't see others/local people do it, maybe better to refrain from it; don't want to end up on social media or the papers as an example for a culturally insensitive foreigner. wai2.gif

I think there was no other news!

Common people....

It is all about culture, location, education, perception. you name it.....Common sense needs to apply.

Anything not common will creates critics and emotions in any country....

Here...most small children play naked on the streets, on beaches, everywhere, with their parents at sight or not....No problems at all....

In the US.....let your own children play naked on your own garden...in public view...and you may end in jail.

It is just a beat up. Murdoch newspaper have been doing this sort of things for years. It's crap journalism when they do it and it's just crap when anyone else does.

Don't make it a big deal - no oxygen - just move on.

Funny how people can be so hypocryte when they have the chance to do so...

Thais should look at soi cowboy or nana plaza first, before bashing on a normal person doing nothing wrong.

They don't need to go there. Just walk down any street and any shopping mall and half the women are wearing sex clothes. Short skirts, tight tops, four inch F*** Me pumps.

Half the Thai women dress like sluts anyway even if they are not selling. I'd say western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress.

Your welcome to say it:

"western dress is much more conservative than the average Thai girl's dress."

But you are dead wrong.

Not sure if your impression of the Thai dress code is via after hour party sois ... or the endless stream of perfectly clean, meticulously dressed office girls etc who crowd the BTS daily. Thia girls are modest, and I challenge you to show me one "nice" office type who is not dressed in a reserved, very pretty way.

Let em tell ya, American girls with their fat asses and bluejeans can not hold a candle to Thia girls .. and at night in the USA , they ALL dress like hookers. And not attractive hookers .. cheap street walkers.

It is embarrassing to see a sloppy American girl plodding down the street in her flip flops, cut off jeans, and "not leaving much to the imagination" tank top.

Pretty sad when compared to a 44 kilo Thai beauty in her nice work dress and high heels.

Chiang Mai residents became speechless to see a western tourist bathing on the bank of the canal along Manee Nopparat Road near the Lok Mori Temple, seemingly without a care in the world.

The residents of Chiang Mai are cut from a different cloth...they seem to look for any excuse to demean a foreigner visiting their city...

As the signs on the light poles around the city reads: "Take Chiang Mai back from the foreigners...get rid of beer bars and clubs"...

Lovely place to visit...but would not want to live there with animosity against foreigners running amuck...

Screw "inappropriate" The petty issues that people / government focus on are outrageous. Human right abuses, slavery, social class behavior, corrupt officials, should get this much attention... but no, a down and out girl washing up in a polluted canal gets the attention. Grow up, Thailand.

I see nothing wrong , if it's hot to go for a swim .

There should make more easy to cool down .

And she wearing a swimming suite so what's wrong with that .

There should be more concern the water is save . Or one could sue the city . For many millions

I see kids and adults swimming in Hua Hin canal many times . When we have water !

That's is paradise . And that's how it should be .

Enjoy and be peaceful.

p.s sometimes is see some cows in the canal too .

I hope the don't pee in it .

Live is wonderful and amazing .

"Widespread public support for farang woman"

I think the headline says alot. I'm happy to see that many here in Thailand don't like the hypocrisy and fingerpointing as well and are willing to speak up about it. Social media again challenging the status quo/woe.

Archived