Thailand to Scrap Nationwide Minimum Wage

Lite Beer

^ Just goes to show how little posters actually know about the magic 300 baht min wage carrot that was hung off the end of that long stick.

A lot of the workers were already getting that much or more, and a lot of the workers who were on say, 200 baht, were never going to get any more. Or are they naive enough to believe that all the rice farm workers suddenly got a 50% pay rise overnight ?

And what about the many people who run their own businesses, like the ladies at the markets selling fruit and vegetables, did they get the pay rise ?

Seems you know very little - why would there be a minimum wage for the people running their own business, ehhhh it is their business, they can pay themselves anything they want.

If workers were getting more then that is good, when the minimum wage comes in it doesn't mean anyone getting more will suddenly find their wages dropped to meet the minimum standard.

Why shouldn't someone on 200 Baht get more? So everyone who gets a shitty wage gets it because they are no good?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's Sino -Thai business elite need to recoup from their investment in Suthep's whistle blowing mob. This is part of the payback. Less than 2% of the Thai workforce is unionised so they will just cop it sweet. If Thai workers don't get organised and take action continued exploitation from the rich will be their lot.

"Sino -Thai business elite". Yes, load of Thais who look the same as Chinese people. The Chinese-Thais.

Wages go up .. prices go up.. remember the 5 cent coke with 2 cent return of the empty? The poor will always be poor. The rich will always be rich. Just the way it goes like it or not.

This is the way with this fòrum greedy know nothing disrespectful rubbish people. Gŕind these infidels into the ground. Thais have good reason to limit land ownership according to some posts here.

The masses have been getting fat on $9 a day![emoji19]

Let's face facts they can't compete. Full stop. I'm all for a living wage but since these people can't innovate, take initiative or learn English they will end up being paid accordingly.

"The wage is not in line with current labour market situation or inflation rate"

This means the minimum wage will be reviewed. It may go up or it may go down.

The agenda driven would be all over this like white on rice with their illogical baseless arguments proclaiming doom and gloom under the NCPO.

I for one hope it does not go up again as this cost is transferred onto the price of goods and services. If the minimum wage was 1000 baht a day imagine the price of Tom Yum on the street!

Remember what yingluck said when the price of goods and services went up after the last minimum wage increase..."There is no inflation, you are imagining it due to the hot weather and the children returning to school". One word to describe that statement. Contempt. Goodness only knows what the doomers and gloomers reaction would have been if Prayut said that.

Well done to the government for aligning and linking the wage scale to economic conditions instead of a populist knee jerk reaction to win votes and make the price of my wife's Tom Yum go up. This increase negated any wage increase and works still got the same goods and services that they did before the wage hike.

​About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals.

​"About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals."

Wow.

A wage cut for a few million people is a sensible, well thought out decision.......

Truly mind boggling but doesn't really matter, they're peasants anyway and if they object too much our snipers and sharp shooters can always murder them..............

It is actually pretty good idea and might encourage lazy ones to actually do something.

Good, productive and valuable employees always get above minimum wage irrespective what the minimum wage was. Lazy time wasters skip by daily doing as little as possible and usually causing more losses and damage than benefits.

If their minimum wage would be cut, they will either pull their crap together or will have to get by on whatever employers think they are worth.

I have had a couple who would not be worth half the current minimum wage as they did absolutely nothing and if forced to do something, they made sure to do it so bad that you would not want them doing it again.

I have nothing but contempt for PTP and the way they manipulated and exploited those who supported them but the minimum wage was about the only good thing they did. To scrap it is wrong.

Now raising it, well then that would be a good move....

30 baht health care doesn't do it for you??

I have nothing but contempt for PTP and the way they manipulated and exploited those who supported them but the minimum wage was about the only good thing they did. To scrap it is wrong.

Ask him again when they propose to scrap that. I wouldn't mind betting that's in the pipeline.

"The wage is not in line with current labour market situation or inflation rate"

The agenda driven would be all over this like white on rice with their illogical baseless arguments proclaiming doom and gloom under the NCPO.

I for one hope it does not go up again as this cost is transferred onto the price of goods and services. If the minimum wage was 1000 baht a day imagine the price of Tom Yum on the street!

Remember what yingluck said when the price of goods and services went up after the last minimum wage increase..."There is no inflation, you are imagining it due to the hot weather and the children returning to school". One word to describe that statement. Contempt. Goodness only knows what the doomers and gloomers reaction would have been if Prayut said that.

Well done to the government for aligning and linking the wage scale to economic conditions instead of a populist knee jerk reaction to win votes and make the price of my wife's Tom Yum go up. This increase negated any wage increase and works still got the same goods and services that they did before the wage hike.

​About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals.

​"About time we had some sensible well thought out, planned and economically aligned proposals."

Yes, scrap the minimum wage ! Let's suggest that to Britain, Australia and the EU countries ! Let's see how people cheer on this sensible idea in those democratic nations !

(sorry, I myself am being a send-up of whatever poltical group). smile.png

Gotto spell this out for you mate have I?

Australia, Britain and the Eu base minimum wage on economic indicators and not populist vote buying...

Do I need to join the dots further?

Wow.

A wage cut for a few million people is a sensible, well thought out decision.......

Truly mind boggling but doesn't really matter, they're peasants anyway and if they object too much our snipers and sharp shooters can always murder them..............

I swear you guys are cut from the same fabric akin to those Indian suit dealers on Sukhumvit.

I repeat...

Australia, Britain and the Eu base minimum wage on economic indicators and not populist vote buying...

Facts and logic are bot your strong point are they..

Wow.

If minimum wage went up to 1000 baht day what would happen?

Do you ignore every fact I state to offer your agenda driven rhetoric?

Edited by djjamie

We have no to right to complain about the great Government in Thai. They are working for the common good if Farangs do not like it go home

Or give more to the poor

I bet none of the complainants have given the poor or take a poor person out to lunch or gave to a Church or a to Wat

I am happy that help build and give to seven Christian Church

I say give to the poor and stop complaining

Edited by harryfrompattaya

Wow.

I swear you guys are cut from the same fabric akin to those Indian suit dealers on Sukhumvit.

I repeat...

He's in good company then.

Wow.

If minimum wage went up to 1000 baht day what would happen?

Is there any chance of that happening? No, so stop talking crap.

Not funded well enough. Like a lot of PTP rhetoric, fine words but full of flaws.

Good idea though, I'll give them that.

Edited by Bluespunk

Wow.

I repeat...

"This means the minimum wage will be reviewed. It may go up or it may go down." ??

The scrapping of the minimum wage will make wages lower, well, will you have a problem if they scrap it and bring in a higher one ? :)

So, the voters in the democratic nations of Britain, Australia, and in the European Union, they democratically vote for a minimum wage, and that's called "a policy and vote based on economic indicators". When a load of Thais vote for a minimum wage, well, that's called "the government are taking part in populist vote buying" !! :)

You reckon that facts and logic are not my strong points ? Man, being a send-up of the anti-Reds is your ace card and strong pont. Your ability to do a send-up and parody of the anti-Reds is far greater than my ability to say anything ! :)

Wow.

I repeat...

Minimum wage will go down.

Anyone with an ounce of grey matter knows this.

So, your "facts and logic" allow Australia, Britain and the EU to set their minimum wages and to practice democracy but your "facts and logic" deny Thailand the same rights.

If Thais want the right to have either of these things you accuse them of being greedy, selfish and uneducated - the double standard is so egregious only an extremely self deluded individual could pronounce such nonsense publicly without blushing.

BTW: Which country has the highest minimum wage in the world??? Australia does, and they just recently raised it.

Mate, I think you'd better stick to doing your dot to dot puzzles and leave the punditry to those who successfully navigated primary school.

Wow.

I repeat...

Minimum wage will go down.

Anyone with an ounce of grey matter knows this.

So, your "facts and logic" allow Australia, Britain and the EU to set their minimum wages and to practice democracy but your "facts and logic" deny Thailand the same rights.

If Thais want the right to have either of these things you accuse them of being greedy, selfish and uneducated - the double standard is so egregious only an extremely self deluded individual could pronounce such nonsense publicly without blushing.

BTW: Which country has the highest minimum wage in the world??? Australia does, and they just recently raised it.

Mate, I think you'd better stick to doing your dot to dot puzzles and leave the punditry to those who successfully navigated primary school.

Solomon, do please realise that djjamie is very likely a send-up or parody of the anti-Reds !! :)

But yes, there are some people on ThaiVisa who really do feel that scrapping the minimum wage is a good thing.

300 baht ? That's about six pounds in England ! Per day as well. And they want it scrapped. They should put this onto the front page of the newspapers, on the international newspapers, it will highlight how absurd the situation is. Six pounds a day, and they want to remove this safeguard.

Djjamie -

"Australia, Britain and the Eu base minimum wage on economic indicators and not populist vote buying"

There is an element of 'populist vote buying' as you call it, for every country that has elections and a minimum wage. Governments like to be popular and win votes. That's how most Goverments come to power.

Unlike this latest proposal, Britain does not have a different minimum wage based on geographical location, despite the cost of living varying greatly in different locations.

"If minimum wage went up to 1000 baht day what would happen?"

Has anybody proposed that? Classic straw-man argument. That would be like somebody arguing "What would happen if the military lowered the minimum wage to 10 baht per day?", for which you would rightly criticize them.

"Do you ignore every fact I state to offer your agenda driven rhetoric?"

Ironic. Of all the posters on TV forum, you are the one who appears to be most driven by an agenda. You have posted 3403 times on this forum; have you ever posted something not praising the military/PDRC/Democrats or criticizing the PTP/Thaksin/red shirts? Re-read what you have written in the "About Me" and "Interests" sections of your profile. Do you really think you're in a appropriate position to claim others have an agenda?

It is almost like they are trying to goad the working class and the students back out into the streets again with proposals like this. Maybe the minimum wage was a success, maybe it wasn't, but I can imagine a lot of very angry people out there should this measure go ahead...

tone-deaf elites throwing the next election to their opponents...

which is why the constitution must neuter civilian governance and leave it in the hands of the elites, the generals, and the technocrats - because they will lose the next election...

Ask him again when they propose to scrap that. I wouldn't mind betting that's in the pipeline.

they floated that trial balloon about a year ago.... I guess it could come back into discussion...

Guy's they are not scrapping the minimum wage ( there has been minimum wage since 1972) they are scrapping the national part and making it by province ( same as it was before Yingluck)

It may actually lead to a higher minimum in higher cost areas! And probably lower in lower cost areas.

Also any one else notice the Permanent guys name Silpa-Archer. One of slippery eels family!!!!

That's the way I read it.

When the 300 baht minimum wage was introduced, people in Bangkok were already at least at 300 baht per day, so they saw no increase in their daily wage, but people in the outer provinces suddenly received 50% or more increases. Bonus.

...and when prices inevitably went up, the provinces did ok, but Bangkokians, with higher cost of living lost out by comparison.

This rethink is probably a good thing. One size does not fit all.

After all, it was just a knee-jerk populist policy aimed at the masses to buy votes...

hey dlock, actually, the wording is a bit odd, what it says is that in 2013, the min wage in BKK was 300B/day...

That is because BKK and a few other provinces had their min wage increase first.

No where was the min-wage 300B/day before the new law...

Don't get excited. The second news item reads quite different from the first. New minimum wage varied by economy and region may replace the 300-baht wage next year. That could be sensible. I will withhold an opinion til we see what is actually planned.