flu shots

watgate

I generally get a flu shot in the US prior to my coming to Thailand but this year I will be coming to Thailand before they start giving shots in the US. I was wondering if and when they start giving flu shots in Chiang Mai and any places one can recommend to get a flu shot?

Edited by watgate

Believe generally Northern Hemisphere version seems to be available about September/October. Got mine on October 24th during normal 3 month visit last year. Believe Southern version is available during time Northern is not - often they are almost the same (last several years believe they have been the same).

Back in the UK i noticed the people who had the flu shot always seemed to get the flu and bad colds. I never took it and just got regular colds every now and then.

Last year i remember it had a 3% effectiveness in the UK! Pretty rubbish but there is money to be made selling them so i am sure they will still be pushed. If you worry about this stuff it may have a positive placebo effect?

In Thailand the recommended months to obtain a flu vaccination is October to November time. I have been having the shots for the last 20 odd years here.

Many of the local clinics and all the major private hospitals will administer the anti flu vaccine, cost varies between 600 and 700 baht.

Last year the International Health Association announced that the viruses have mutated rendering the vaccines useless. I advise; do some on-line research before deciding to have the vaccination.

"In 67 years I never had a flu shot, neither did my family. I think I got flu once. And it may possibly not have been flu."

Do you want a golden star. You do realize that you cannot even keep your job or go to certain schools if you don't get a flu vaccine every year?

Things have changed since you were born.

The people at Bangkok Hospital told me the time to get flu shots here is for the rainy season -- which will start in a month or so. It's also a good idea to get flu shots locally if you're going to live here and not count on one formulated for North America to protect for the same strains of flu that are running around this part of the world. All the private hospitals have flu shots available and I would imagine you can just walk in without an appointment and ask for one.

I got mine recently at Bangkok Hospital, riding their shuttle van which stops at the Imm Hotel by Thapae Gate.

Edited by NancyL

The flu shot here is either the Northern or Southern Hemisphere version - there is no Thailand version. And most official usage seems to be Northern version. In most cases they are almost the same - or are the same. They are designed to directly protect for the most likely expected types. As Thailand is a major crossroads for tourists from both areas there is probably no ideal - until they get a universal version on market.

Wherever you get them check the date made ....not the use by date...If more than 3 months walk out as it is not worth having.

Why is that, does the mercury spoil?

The flu vacine is made of a mix of vaccines for the viruses that have occured in the previous opposite hemisphere winter as it is anticipated that these will be the ones most likely to give problems in the next year. If you get an older vaccine you will be protected for the strains it covers but will have no protection for the newer strains that the latest vaccine covers.

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/en/

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2015_16_north/en/

note how the above differs from

http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2014_15_north/en/

Edited by harrry

The flu vaccine varies in effectiveness but generally it is well worth having. As for the mumbo jumbo mob that claim the vaccine causes flu or has no effect they are delusional. My wife is one of these, and every year I have to put up with her staggering about with flu. I have a friend who swears that if you change your socks twice a day you won't get headaches - and if you believe that you will believe anything. Check out actual science :

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

The people at Bangkok Hospital told me the time to get flu shots here is for the rainy season -- which will start in a month or so. It's also a good idea to get flu shots locally if you're going to live here and not count on one formulated for North America to protect for the same strains of flu that are running around this part of the world. All the private hospitals have flu shots available and I would imagine you can just walk in without an appointment and ask for one.

I got mine recently at Bangkok Hospital, riding their shuttle van which stops at the Imm Hotel by Thapae Gate.

that's the one for the Southern Hemisphere. 2 flu seasons. Some get both, personally I stick to only get the Northern Hemisphere flu shot.

Back in the UK i noticed the people who had the flu shot always seemed to get the flu and bad colds. I never took it and just got regular colds every now and then.

Last year i remember it had a 3% effectiveness in the UK! Pretty rubbish but there is money to be made selling them so i am sure they will still be pushed. If you worry about this stuff it may have a positive placebo effect?

you don't get sick from the flu shot, this is just rubbish.

As for the effectiveness against the flu, it varies from year to year. As you know, the flu virus keeps mutating, so the vaccine has to be changed every year as well. And it's true, last winter's flu vaccine was less effective than previous years. But it was still effective, certainly a lot more than 3%. And those who got the shot, their symptoms were far lass severe than those without.

Don't underestimate the flu.

i think it's rubbish as well. never had a flu jab and haven't had the flu in maybe 12 years. i get many colds and respiratory issues here (particularly from the smog) but never the flu.

it seems people who get the flu jab are always getting the flu.

i think it's rubbish as well. never had a flu jab and haven't had the flu in maybe 12 years. i get many colds and respiratory issues here (particularly from the smog) but never the flu.

People often claim to have the flue when all they have is a very bad cold.

Flue can be very serious, terminal like, for some. Don't listen to the denialists if you are high risk get a flue shot.

The WHO estimates between 250,000 and 500,000 die as a result of flue each year.

Flu vaccine last year, reduces your overall chance of the flu by 19%. I think this is USA data.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/news/updated-vaccine-effectiveness-2014-15.htm

Last year flu vaccine effectiveness in the UK 3%

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/06/next-winter-flu-vaccine-may-not-be-effective

Basically it doesn't do much IMO but its a good business for those involved. It probably will have positive placebo effect for those who take it and worry about it. I have never taken it and declined it at various work places because over the years i notice the people who take it always seem to get flu and time off work with colds. Other posters have noticed this too. Drugs, antibiotics and even pain killers, keep them to a minimum until absolutely required is my motto.

Always getting the flu? Hmmm.

Have you considered that people who know they are more susceptible to colds and flu are more likely to get the jab?

Or is that to sciencey?

that's just rubbish to say that people who get the flu jab get the flu. Go see a doctor to help you understand what a flu vaccine does instead of spreading wrong information.

Just my observations and feelings no science at all but with such a low effectiveness like 3% the jab isnt doing much and thats science fact.

As I mentioned before, the 3% effectiveness doesn't include all the people who had far less severe symptoms of the flu thanks to the flu shot. In other words, a lot people survived because the took the flu shot, if not they would have likely suffered severe complications.

The flu is a very dangerous sickness and every year a lot people die because of the flu.

I personally have no issues if you opt not to take the vaccine as long as you don't work in a hospital or get in touch with a lot of people - it's entirely your choice.

Where is this 3% figure from,? All the science I read talks in the 70%+ efficacy level. Look at my earlier post. People that spout on about immunisation being ineffective or dangerous are a real problem. I come up against this argument with parents refusing to immunise children against measles, polio and a host of diseases. That is one of the reasons why many diseases are on the comeback. Flu is a killer. Even if it were 3% - what if you were given a 3% chance (every year) of catching say smallpox or winning the state lottery would you not think it worth it? I have never had a qualified doctor tell me that a flu jab is not worth it. On the contrary they are all for them.