Buying an elephant.

papa al

I have eaten both elephant and ostrich. Ostrich meat is tough and stringy but it makes very good jerky or biltong. Elephant meat is so tough it is virtually inedible except for the trunk, that is quite tender. The best way to cook it is the braise trunk meat that has been cut into slices. It tastes quite like oxtail. However if you eat it cooked like this don't be put off by the two holes in the meat where the nostrils were.

I like elephant , I just cant eat a whole one!!

as a kid it always presented a problem, as my mom insisted that we could not leave the table until we finished our meal

even now, when ever we serve elephant I have bad childhood memories of chewing at that trunk while looking at these two holes.

It has scared me for life.w00t.gif

PS: we have finally solved the Nostril holes problem by stuffing them with bread stuffing ,

one word of caution,

stuff them after the elephant is dead,

It still pains me to remember Thanksgiving of '94 when we did not heed that advice

Uncle Bob was never the same after that.

Edited by sirineou

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have eaten both elephant and ostrich. Ostrich meat is tough and stringy but it makes very good jerky or biltong. Elephant meat is so tough it is virtually inedible except for the trunk, that is quite tender. The best way to cook it is the braise trunk meat that has been cut into slices. It tastes quite like oxtail. However if you eat it cooked like this don't be put off by the two holes in the meat where the nostrils were.

But was that an African or an Asian Elephant.....we all know asian meat is sweeter

Years ago they were, but not now. You also might want to make sure your lease does not have a "No Elephants" clause. If it does, your screwed.

You could hide it in the bathroom

Also it will be a life long commitment not just a short term thing, they live a long time, but if you have the room, why not, they are gorgeous things BUT handling is key, they can also be lethal. I fancy an ostrich personally ( enough of my sexual preferencelaugh.png )

Ostrich meat tastes better than elephant

I think elephant meat must be cooked forever to get soft. Surely nothing for an evening barbecue....Well the steak maybe and there should be lot of steak.

I guess you should cook it the same as old beef, hours and hours and next day you make it hot again and cook it for hours again at some point it get soft....like goulash

"Are are you being a racist suggesting a lilly white can't own an elephant ?"

Are you being racist assuming that everyone who posts here is white?

As to the why is this a silly request. Elephants are not pets and should not be owned. Those that do have them inherited them. They are not a commodity to be bought and sold.

The poster that suggested a full grown elephant used to cost 12k baht 20 years ago. I know that you are old but your memory shouldn't be that far gone. Try closer to 1.2 million baht even 20 years ago.

Those who have them, have breed them, took them from the forest by shooting the mother or imported them from Myanmar who shot the mother. There were plenty of sad stories in the newspapers.

And if you can have a dog, German Shepard or Husky in the heat in Thailand or buffalo or monkeys why not elephants?

Either it is bad to have animals for fun than it is the same with every animal or it is OK than why not an elephant?

I was already bored cleaning what my dog $hit.....Don't want to clean the phant size....

I guess you should cook it the same as old beef, hours and hours and next day you make it hot again and cook it for hours again at some point it get soft....like goulash

Have tried the very slow cooking method and it doesn't really work. Whatever you do to it the meat remains tough.

The elephant meat that I tried to cook was the result of a legitimate government elephant cull in Africa. The internal organs were usually donated to the locals, the meat was sun dried and then dessicated and used in dog food.

I've never tried an Asian elephant so can't say whether they are sweeter.

So, let's just assume for one minute that this is a serious question. The words "not an institution to be entered into lightly" come to mind and this type of purchase could have similar disasterous end results. My wife's family used to be in the elephant business - and had about 30 of them. My understanding is that they are very difficult to look after - very sensitive to food and can get sick easily. And what do you do with it? Put it in the back yard? All that means that you have to know about elephants before you have any - they are clearly not like buying a cat or dog. And one other small thing - they kill people - my wife's grandmother lost her husband and two sons in separate events. Far better to buy a Kwai if you want an exotic pet to bring up in casual dinner conversations...

I have one or two for sale, they're at my home, I call them wife and daughter.... I will

let them go cheap....

i'm sorry but I think you will have a hard job giving them away.

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why is this request silly?

If one has the resources and the inclination, why not rear an Elephant?

Some have dogs, cats, mice as pets...

Why??

Elephants live for a very long time and are emotionally tied to their human.

How old are you?

How much longer will the op be around??

The op has not stated what his motives are for owning an elephant and what his plans are for the creature.

Unlike dogs, cats and mice they are a huge responsibility.

They require a lot of room, food and maintainance.

They are also very social animals that need to be with their own kind....can you provide other elephants for it to be with or will you condem it to a life of lonelyness?

An elephant is not a pet!

It is very debatable if they should even be kept in captivity.

This may just be a troll post.

For the sake of the elephants, I hope it is not a serious enquiry.

Edited by willyumiii

Wild elephants in Thailand are considered "Protected" species, however, it seems that privately owned, "domestic" elephants are considered property and can be bought/sold like pretty much any other property it seems. (http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ad031e/ad031e0r.htm)

Note there is also apparently an active black market for elephants in Thailand. (http://www.havocscope.com/baby-elephants-for-sale/)

Domestically born elephants have an Identification Certificate and implanted microchip. Thailand was trying to make a new law (or amend an old one ?) so that domestic elephants would be treated the same as wild ones, which would allow Thai Wildlife authorities to supervise and monitor them (and confiscate any they think are illegal or incorrectly identified). (The gov't was trying to close a loophole because, naturally, there are unscrupulous people out there taking advantage of the existing rules).

Having said all that, I'm sure if you troll around the bar areas of the country you'll find plenty of these for sale:

pink-elephant-md.png

PinkElephantSale.jpg

pink-elephant-adult-costume-bc-805297.jp

Two old Jewish friends meet on the street.

Abie says to Hymie "Hymie, have I got a bargain for you!

I can let you have an elephant for 600 shekels!"

Hymie replies "Abie, are you crazy? I live in a 21st floor condominium - where am I going to keep an elephant?"

So Abie then says "OK, OK, how about TWO elephants for 1,000 shekels?"

And Hymie says "Ah, now you're talking!"

My Thai wife says you can buy a fully grown but young elephant for 100K Baht but dont forget you have to feed it and that is where the real costs come into play. She is not aware you need a special licence to keep it but if you have a large safe secure space and get some help from the previous owner with care of it then it should be easy to do.

I would like one too but its not arrived at the top of my list yet.

Edited by Transporter

I am certain that you need a special permit. To be honest in all of my years here, I have heard some silly requests but this tops the cake.

Why??

Elephants live for a very long time and are emotionally tied to their human.

How old are you?

How much longer will the op be around??

The op has not stated what his motives are for owning an elephant and what his plans are for the creature.

Unlike dogs, cats and mice they are a huge responsibility.

They require a lot of room, food and maintainance.

They are also very social animals that need to be with their own kind....can you provide other elephants for it to be with or will you condem it to a life of lonelyness?

An elephant is not a pet!

It is very debatable if they should even be kept in captivity.

This may just be a troll post.

For the sake of the elephants, I hope it is not a serious enquiry.

And what is here different than for a dog?

Dogs are emotional tied to their humans.

They are a huge responsibility

They are very social animals

But they are smaller.....

My Thai wife says you can buy a fully grown but young elephant for 100K Baht but dont forget you have to feed it and that is where the real costs come into play. She is not aware you need a special licence to keep it but if you have a large safe secure space and get some help from the previous owner with care of it then it should be easy to do.

I would like one too but its not arrived at the top of my list yet.

yes it is recommended that you have a garden....If you have them in your condominium you might not be able to watch the TV from the sofa smile.png

Indeed. Elephants make great pets. Though you need to be careful to dial down their enthusiasm. I threw a stick for mine to fetch and it trampled off and returned with a palm tree, roots and all. The annoying part was having to scrape off the villager from under his foot.

Please buy my book: How to raise an elephant--it takes a village.

T