Soi Dogs -- Workaround?

What's up, TVers.

Listen, I just want to start getting out and running again. I used to run in the early a.m. or late at night in BKK, and never thought twice about the fracking dogs. No doubt, they're much more wary of people, so they exercise caution (i.e., stay the f#&k away from people unless they have food).

Currently, I find myself down in Rayong, in a town of about 5,000 (but near the beautiful beaches down here) and the soi dogs RULE this place. I can't walk down my street without a pack of four *always* viciously approaching, growling, drooling and making me feel generally not at ease. Still, I walk on by because, f#&k them.

I found another area with few people, thus fewer dogs, and was able to get in 1 km before they started charging out at me. I HATE having to stop my runs, but I had to three times for a little 4-km run.

I've got mental health issues (trolls, go for it; whatevs, not my choice), and my main option for dealing with them is physical exercise, especially running. So how to I beat these mangy f#&kers? Personally, I think SE Asia needs to develop a new policy for dogs being 'free', but that's just me. For now, I need a fix.

Who, out there, runs regularly, especially in small towns/countryside with a lot of vicious dogs? And how do you not give a shizzle about them? Do I have to carry a big stick (not practical at all)? Do I carry kibble to feed them until they all know and love me and leave me alone (don't want to give them that satisfaction)?

Realistic, ideally tested solutions wanted. I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this post. If it isn't, admin, please move it to the right place.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help me get back out there again soon. I will owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are too aggressive......

a) Give them some food

B) take a stick and stones and fight your way

c) find a other route

d) poison them

e) ride a bicycle instead

f) go swimming instead

g) start lifting weights instead

a) Give them some food

cool.png take a stick and stones and fight your way

c) find a other route

d) poison them

f) go swimming instead

How am *I* being aggressive? The dogs are the ones being excessively aggressive. I'm a very passive *runner*. Let's walk through your suggestions:

(a) maybe, but should I have to pay for kibble just to run on roads?

(B) sticks and stones would likely provoke them, and fighting my way is, well, aggressive, and I'm likely to get hurt fighting four 200-lb (guessing) dogs

© there is no other route. They are everywhere. And, anyway, I hate running the same route every day, almost as much as I hate straight runs out and back.

(d) poison them? Not going there. They piss me off, but I'm not sadistic or a psychopath.

(e) a bicycle? I already ride one everywhere I go. But I want to RUN! Is that so wrong?

(f) i also swim a lot, in the ocean. It's great, but it's not running.

(g) start lifting weights. have to buy a set of weights or pay some crazy price for a gym membership when I don't need that s#&t if I just RUN regularly.

Any *runners* out there with a response to my original post?

Thai woman by me runs daily she carries a bamboo stick (its light but needs to be 2 inch diameter) about 3 feet long, show no mercy with them bloody things all need putting down, ignore the dog loving idiots, theyll be on soon no doubt blathering on.

a) Give them some food

c) find a other route

d) poison them

f) go swimming instead

How am *I* being aggressive? The dogs are the ones being excessively aggressive. I'm a very passive *runner*. Let's walk through your suggestions:

(B) sticks and stones would likely provoke them, and fighting my way is, well, aggressive, and I'm likely to get hurt fighting four 200-lb (guessing) dogs

© there is no other route. They are everywhere. And, anyway, I hate running the same route every day, almost as much as I hate straight runs out and back.

(d) poison them? Not going there. They piss me off, but I'm not sadistic or a psychopath.

(e) a bicycle? I already ride one everywhere I go. But I want to RUN! Is that so wrong?

(g) start lifting weights. have to buy a set of weights or pay some crazy price for a gym membership when I don't need that s#&t if I just RUN regularly.

1.4 x 200,lb soi dogs LOL !! Think we are exaggerating a bit me thinks ? most soi dogs are skinny little runts

2.swimming in ocean around Rayong LOL must enjoy swimming in sewage

3. You do strike me as rather aggressive and hyper

I cycle every day,and have the same problem. I now carry a number 2 golf iron. I use a forged one as the sound of the club when it hits the dogs head is a nice CLUNK Not like the cheap

cast iron type,that tend to go PING

There are lots of threads and posts on here about the best solution for the dog that chases you

I have tried all of the suggestions and until I was bitten by one about a year ago just passed it off as one of those things you have to accept if you are a runner, walker or cycler like me

Not wishing to be hounded off my favourite sport I came up with a good solution which has been 100% successful and is is a golf number 1 driving club made out of graphite without the head.

Only weighs a few grams and can be easily stowed on a bike or maybe even finely balanced by a runner, for a walker it doesn't even look out of place.

Owning two surrogate dogs that serves as our kids I am also a dog lover and would not use it as a weapon on any dog but just waving it around does the trick and they quickly lose any interest in chasing you.

Learn dog body language, all my local dogs are scared of me, you just explain to them once that their life is at risk if they attack, they will remember and stay clear.

Dogs have alway been a nuisance. When i was in my teens,i had a job delivering groceries.

.One day I delivered to a large house, I had both arms full of boxes,I rang the bell with my elbow, The door opened and a large black Labrador mounted my leg,and started to

try and screw it ( make love to it ) The Lady of the house yelled to me KICK HIS BALLS, so there I am loaded with boxes trying to kick the dogs privat parts.

She the yelled at me NO NO NOT THOSE !! THE ONES ON THE LAWN!!

Learn dog body language, all my local dogs are scared of me, you just explain to them once that their life is at risk if they attack, they will remember and stay clear.

Please explain?

a) Give them some food

c) find a other route

d) poison them

f) go swimming instead

(cool.png sticks and stones would likely provoke them, and fighting my way is, well, aggressive, and I'm likely to get hurt fighting four 200-lb (guessing) dogs

4 x 200 pound dogs blink.png . By any means catch them and breed them, selling 100 kg monster dogs will make you so rich that you can buy a dog free island.

You can focus them (one) direct in the eyes, he'll back off (Don't try it with a German Shepard or Rottweiler). The even pretend to be friendly, wagging the tail, go around you and bite you from the back side.

With a pack of dogs, they always try to get on your back side

Dogs have alway been a nuisance. When i was in my teens,i had a job delivering groceries.

.One day I delivered to a large house, I had both arms full of boxes,I rang the bell with my elbow, The door opened and a large black Labrador mounted my leg,and started to

try and screw it ( make love to it ) The Lady of the house yelled to me KICK HIS BALLS, so there I am loaded with boxes trying to kick the dogs privat parts.

The oldies are the goodies :)

You can focus them (one) direct in the eyes, he'll back off (Don't try it with a German Shepard or Rottweiler). The even pretend to be friendly, wagging the tail, go around you and bite you from the back side.

OK how do you handle a soi dog most are mongrels?

The oldies are the goodies smile.png

Thats interesting,where did you hear this before?

Thai woman by me runs daily she carries a bamboo stick (its light but needs to be 2 inch diameter) about 3 feet long, show no mercy with them bloody things all need putting down, ignore the dog loving idiots, theyll be on soon no doubt blathering on.

Thx. That's all I was looking for. That wasn't so hard now, was it? ;)

There are lots of threads and posts on here about the best solution for the dog that chases you

I have tried all of the suggestions and until I was bitten by one about a year ago just passed it off as one of those things you have to accept if you are a runner, walker or cycler like me

Not wishing to be hounded off my favourite sport I came up with a good solution which has been 100% successful and is is a golf number 1 driving club made out of graphite without the head.

Only weighs a few grams and can be easily stowed on a bike or maybe even finely balanced by a runner, for a walker it doesn't even look out of place.

Owning two surrogate dogs that serves as our kids I am also a dog lover and would not use it as a weapon on any dog but just waving it around does the trick and they quickly lose any interest in chasing you.

Just curious: If it's something lightweight, which it would have to be for running, and waving it the dog(s) proves it(them), it wouldn't be useful to protect you, would it?

In the US in the seventies I used to see an older man out jogging in the morning with a driver--with the head attached. This was in a city that had lots of stray dogs. I'm sure it was for protection from the dogs. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by mesquite

Most Thai towns have a park where locals exercise in the morning or evening.Is there not one near you ?

There are three near where I live varying from 1.3km to 3.2km per lap.

Thats where I do my running.No way would I run on the roads here because of stray dogs.

Most Thai towns have a park where locals exercise in the morning or evening.Is there not one near you ?

There are three near where I live varying from 1.3km to 3.2km per lap.

Thats where I do my running.No way would I run on the roads here because of stray dogs.

Good idea, but I don't like to be restricted to loops in parks with other people. Want to be alone on hilly, winding, country roads, if possible.

My minimum runs are 3-5 km. Max: 20 km. See why I need a solution that works all the time, anywhere?

Please explain?

A fixed stare, slightly bared teeth and slowly advance, if the dog is bold or stupid enough not to back off, then talk with a snarly voice, if it charges then shout. Always make sure the dog has an escape route. If it is a pack of dogs go for the alpha but watch for the ones that will try a rear attack, but you really need a stick if it is a pack. If all else fails remember a dog leads with its mouth and its nose is very sensitive.

Here's a video that shows how to deal with soi dogs. Never tried this myself.

This is great. Thanks for that. But I don't have a problem with them when walking or biking. I'm not afraid of them.

When I'm running, however, I am begging them to attack me, because running in dog language means fear, and they love to attack animals that are afraid, especially if they're in packs.

So, ideally, I think I'm going to need a practical weapon, even if the idea of striking a dog is unappealing to me.

I cycle every day,and have the same problem. I now carry a number 2 golf iron. I use a forged one as the sound of the club when it hits the dogs head is a nice CLUNK Not like the cheap

cast iron type,that tend to go PING

2 irons are fine for hitting dogs, but I find a 7 iron gets them off the ground better.

Doesn't looking stray dogs directly in the eyes actually provoke them? I always thought (think I've read) that you should avoid making eye contact.

Look, I've worked for days on end in mountains with bears nearby every day, and that was fine with me, because I understand the rules. Here, pretty much everywhere in Thailand (SE Asia?), the dogs actually rule the streets, so there's no 'negotiating' with them, unless you're the one who feeds them.

I just need to know how to free myself from the anxiety of being bitten by one of these (possibly rabid) dogs, so I can start enjoying runs again. Key word: runs. The thing that makes dogs chase you almost every time.

So, a bamboo stick (light weight but not particularly strong if you need to strike with it) or some kind of golf club (with or without the head)? Are those my only options?

I'd like to get back out there tomorrow.

Just curious: If it's something lightweight, which it would have to be for running, and waving it the dog(s) proves it(them), it wouldn't be useful to protect you, would it?

Well I wouldn't want to receive a whack from one, I'm sure it would be extremely painful.

The point in any event for me is the fact that most soi dogs are fully aware of what a longish stick means=

stinging pain and that is why they run away from any person welding a sick or for that matter any person pretending in my case to pick a stone at them which they know well from experience is very painful

Your average soi dog doesn't really have any idea of what your stick is made of, at last I wouldn't think so.

Thinking about it, the tip speed of a Number 1 graphite gold club even minus the head being swung by even the most average person must be nearly supersonic

I dont feel like investigating any more but maybe you could try a half hearted swing on your self and let me know what you felt. Just for the record you know! 5555

As an after thought you could file the end tube to a fine point and you would have a weapon extremely deadly but not for me the dogs are only being dogs and i dont want to inflict any pain on them

a) Give them some food

c) find a other route

d) poison them

f) go swimming instead

Not much of a human being would poison animals h90. I guess you aren't if you suggest that.