New Bt2000 fine for spitting, blowing nose and littering in public places

webfact

Good. This is a good way to raise extra revenue while making the place look cleaner. Hopefully a few million Chinese-originated baht per year for spitting, and several million Thai-originated baht for littering.

I wish this was a central government initiative to affect the whole country.

Great initiative as long as the police write out receipts for the fines instead of pocketing the money.

Has been enforced between Soi 4 and Soi 16 in Bangkok for at least 10 years.

Enforced on foreigners, while locals were allowed to urinate and do whatever else wink.png

@ konying: Yes, exactly! I have the feeling that these laws will be enforced mostly upon foreigners (despite Thai Taxi and Tuk-Tuk Drivers Pee-ing everywhere, and a large majority of Thai people throwing plastic bottles and Polystyrene food containers at the sides of roads or in public places and on the beach).

it will be interesting to see how many Local Thai people are fined by any of these laws (compared to how many foreigners are fined, Lol)

Edited by easybullet3

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these laws are great in a non-corrupt and racially biased society. I will applaud the effort if I ever see a Thai being ticketed.

only trouble is that if you applauded within line of sight:

he'll lose face,

and hunt you down,

at least give your nose the spitting image of a clotted pool of blood (but that will be from behind , by knife or bullet, and you'll be left like litter)

They're going to clean up BKK like Singapore, eh? I wonder if they'll impose fines on beautiful Thai women picking their noses and gingerly tossing snot onto the sidewalk the same way? What a pathetically disgusting habit that seems to be socially acceptable. Yuk. But it looks like the General has found another important area to crack down hard on. Excellent job! Kudo!

Last week I took my wife to her Birthday dinner at the Mandarin Oriental. Beautiful table on the riverside.

At the table next to us, were seated four men.

One of them leaned over and blew his nose "Farmer Style" onto the floor. His three friends didn't even blink.

Certainly did not help my appetite any.

You would think that at a 5 Star restaurant, rated as one of the world's "must go once" destinations ... the customers would have some class.

Some times the lack of manners of Farang amaze me.

Oh, did I forget to mention he was Farang?

Omg you witnessed a farang do what the majority of Chinese do everyday, all day. *golf clap*[emoji8]

The point I am making is that on this "White Good, Brown Bad" endless Bashing site ... it is fair to point out that those not of European decent do not have the market on bad manners cornered.

This was disgusting, and really unexpected in that elegant setting.

Now that we are on it, how do you know a Foreigner is on the BTS behind you? One sniff .. mystery solved.

Thai people are amazingly clean and well mannered.

Sorry "One of yours" got busted being rude, crude and socially unacceptable.

Note to Preamatura (?) - WE ARE NOT IN CHINA

Surely only the most avid Thai basher can find fault with this

Litter and garbage are huge problems here in Phuket ( and Samui ) and I can only applaud any efforts to make the streets and the sea cleaner!

How common are public trash and litter containers in Phuket and Samui. Can you find one one each street corner? Placed at even intervals, say 100 feet apart at the beach. In the front and throughout markets and malls?

I'll answer this one for you. They aren't. So this 2000 baht fine is really about what??? ฿฿฿฿฿฿

Show me the money!

They're going to clean up BKK like Singapore, eh? I wonder if they'll impose fines on beautiful Thai women picking their noses and gingerly tossing snot onto the sidewalk the same way? What a pathetically disgusting habit that seems to be socially acceptable. Yuk. But it looks like the General has found another important area to crack down hard on. Excellent job! Kudo!

Yes I was watching one do that,at the same time she was cooking fried rice.

Someone had better warn the footballers when they next visit Bangkok.

Not only will they need to be careful about videoing their extra curricular activities they will also have to hold back on vacating the contents of their nostrils on the pitch during gamesbah.gif

Yeah, they'll get a 'yellow-card' for honking on the field. Probably will get a penalty kick for that if the opponents are Thai.

Litter and garbage are huge problems here in Phuket ( and Samui ) and I can only applaud any efforts to make the streets and the sea cleaner!

I believe you mean

"any reasonable person would applaud this effort to clean up the Kingdom, something Foreigners WHINE about 24/7. Only a horse's arse could find fault with this"

At this writing .. we are on PAGE 8 bash fest.

There is NOTHING ANYONE can do in the Kingdom to make a Thai Visa Thai Basher happy.

Period.

Full Stop.

So many times i have said to a good friend of mine " Swallow don't spit ' Then tells me that is disgusting. Pah !

Oh oh , how long then before a ferlung is at the local nick pointing to something horrid on the table, nicked for gobbing ............enough.

Hmmmmm....Seeing as I do not Spit or Blow My Nose in public or litter and discard trash were ever it is convenient for me to do so...then I have no fear of the law....lol.....

Sometimes I feel like I should turn in other people that do Spit in public places and Blow snot out of their nose as if no one else is around and or discard their trash anywhere they please as if they are entitled to do so.

How about they also announce that any citizen can make a citizens arrest and get half the 2000 baht fine for turning in those that do thoughtlessly breach social etiquette and do any of the 3 violations listed above.

Cheers

This spitting must be because of the Chinese. Having been in China many times for a month or more each I have seen this in every city. They spit even on restaurant floors while they are eating. Smoking and spitting are national past times there.

Sure it is great fun to joke about people gobbing in public and clearing their sinuses like a logger in the frozen bush but the third item is getting over shadowed by all the mucus.

The indiscriminate throwing of trash anywhere and everywhere is the real issue here and the one that hurts Thai tourism.

How about puking? They reference Japan as a nation with similar laws. Just try walking down Roppongi Dor in the Roppongi Entertainment District on an early morning (especially the weekend) and you have to avoid puddles of puke and well dressed salary men sprawled out on the ground with their briefcases being used as pillows.

I believe you mean

"any reasonable person would applaud this effort to clean up the Kingdom, something Foreigners WHINE about 24/7. Only a horse's arse could find fault with this"

There is NOTHING ANYONE can do in the Kingdom to make a Thai Visa Thai Basher happy.

Period.

Full Stop.

And?

That soft moaning noise you just heard was those "Tessaban" Cops on Sukhumvit Road coming in their underpants!

Are these people real "Police"?? (Tessabam??) I have seen them following groups of tourists and 'fining' them or throwing cigarettes down the storm drains or on the steets..............what would happen if you just ignored them and kept walking?? What is their status,?? do they have the power of arrest?? funny, I have been walking Sukhumvitt for over 30 years and thse guys have just popped up in the last five or so.thumbsup.gif

I believe you mean

Period.

Full Stop.

And?

Said the Troll ???

No more Public Okie-Blowing.......Great.

What about into a tissue? walking down Sukhumvit Rd , near the Emporium and the litter cops???? um.

My thought exactly,,,,, I'm sure they "mean",,, pressing one side close,, and blowing the other side out onto the ground,,, But GARRANTEED,,, the butt police, will interpriate it as simply, "blowing nose in public",,,, even USING a tissue,,,, I'm fairly sure that's NOT the intent,,, but hey,,, "You Farlang, you blow nose, you pay,,,, and will hand you a printed card stating that,, "Blowing nose in public, $2000 baht fine",,, with no explanation of what it REALLY means,,, So will issue the $2000 fine into their own pocket,,,,

Another way to rip off farangs in Bangkok and other tourist city's, way to go BIB's...NOT bah.gif

Violator could also be recorded in criminal file, he said.

Interesting, so one can be deported then for a criminal conviction of blowingg your nose ?

What about a good old fart am I adding to carbon waste

Good. This is a good way to raise extra revenue while making the place look cleaner. Hopefully a few million Chinese-originated baht per year for spitting, and several million Thai-originated baht for littering.

I wish this was a central government initiative to affect the whole country.

Agreed, but only if the coppers are not only targeting farang.

That soft moaning noise you just heard was those "Tessaban" Cops on Sukhumvit Road coming in their underpants!

Are these people real "Police"?? (Tessabam??) I have seen them following groups of tourists and 'fining' them or throwing cigarettes down the storm drains or on the steets..............what would happen if you just ignored them and kept walking?? What is their status,?? do they have the power of arrest?? funny, I have been walking Sukhumvitt for over 30 years and thse guys have just popped up in the last five or so.thumbsup.gif

Tessaban - would be the Local municipal By-Laws officers. This would put policing dirty alleycats right up their alley

post-205215-0-57384000-1433900668_thumb.

They are BMA employees, not police. They are empowered to enforce fines for littering/smoking in prohibited areas like parks. The real police could become involved if there is a dispute, but in reality most people just pay up or "negotiate".