Fiat 500 in Thailand

The taxation system doesn't target luxury cars - it targets imported cars.

Still just does not add up......

One2Car has a 2014 VW UP for 1.88 million.... 1.0lt tiny car. [makes the Fiat 500 look cheap]........and a 2014, 1.4 turbo Golf for 899,000 baht

a brand new Golf GTi 2.0 lt cost 2.3 million list price.... who in the right mind would buy a VW UP for 1.88 million baht ?

The 899k is maybe the down payment. Impossible that a one year old Golf drop from 2.3 Mill to 899'k

Yes could be, or is a older car registered in Thailand a year ago ? did notice on other sites a few Mk6, 2.0 GTi is this price for a 2011 model.?..

Bit out of touch with VW's current models as just to expensive here, but then noticed an advert for a 'new' 2015 Golf GTi 'Pro' @ 4.7 million. or a GTi 'R' for 3.6 - 3.9 million !!!

Maybe somone here can tell me about some links to used car sites with classic cars? Preferbly in english. but Thai will do if there are pictures of what's for sale.

Or, do anyone know of an Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV for sale?

I know this isn't much help, but I noticed a repair/used Alfa place a 20 second walk from the Ploenchit BTS station. It had many, ten?, vintage alfas that looked like they were being restored. If you are in Bkk, you could have a look? I was staying at the Circle condo at the time, and this alfa place was on Petchaburi Road. On the same side of the BTS station as the Circle Condo.

That place on Petchaburi is nowhere near Ploenchit BTS, just in case anyone is planning a 20 second walk there.

The taxes on imported everything here are pretty high, whether vehicles or food or coffee pots. I love "classic" cars and motorcycles, and tinkering with them (hotrodding them) as much as the next guy, but this is Thailand, and going very far down that road simply doesn't make much sense.

My two door Nissan "king cab" pickup truck cost 640,000 Baht when I bought it new. Made in Thailand. Last time I checked, the new Nissan March base price was 399,000 Baht (manual transmission). Having owned a Fiat, I find it hard to believe they could ever make a car with as much quality as a Nissan March. Maybe Cherry QQ, but anything else, doubtful.

Same with motorcycles. A Ducati Scrambler can be had for 369,000 Baht, because it's made in Thailand. A Ducati Palingale 899 is 757,000 Baht, base. An 1199 Palingale R has a price of 2.2 million Baht. Me? I ride a Kawasaki Ninja 650 that sold new for around 260,000 Baht new (made in Thailand). Because I'm not stupid.

If this was back in the world, I'd buy anything I wanted. But it isn't the world, so I buy what they make affordable.

Edited by RedQualia

The taxes on imported everything here are pretty high, whether vehicles or food or coffee pots. I love "classic" cars and motorcycles, and tinkering with them (hotrodding them) as much as the next guy, but this is Thailand, and going very far down that road simply doesn't make much sense.

My two door Nissan "king cab" pickup truck cost 640,000 Baht when I bought it new. Made in Thailand. Last time I checked, the new Nissan March base price was 399,000 Baht (manual transmission). Having owned a Fiat, I find it hard to believe they could ever make a car with as much quality as a Nissan March. Maybe Cherry QQ, but anything else, doubtful.

Same with motorcycles. A Ducati Scrambler can be had for 369,000 Baht, because it's made in Thailand. A Ducati Palingale 899 is 757,000 Baht, base. An 1199 Palingale R has a price of 2.2 million Baht. Me? I ride a Kawasaki Ninja 650 that sold new for around 260,000 Baht new (made in Thailand). Because I'm not stupid.

If this was back in the world, I'd buy anything I wanted. But it isn't the world, so I buy what they make affordable.

I don't quite understand the logic behind that some things which are either of perceived/true higher value are described by some of 'stupid' buys, etc.

You can argue this with many things, like wines, whiskies, clothes and so on. A H&M T-shirt is similar to a Calvin Klein in that it covers your body with similar colors, yet materials are probably slightly different.

A new Honda Accord is a nice car, but I doubt that it has the same quality of materials inside or even engine wise as a new Benz C Class.The difference in price 1.6 compared to 2.8 m.

Is it worth is....for many not, but for many yes. Some are just satsified with an entry level smartphone and some want the top end....what's the problem with both...???

Although I must admit buying a VW Up for 1.8m.....can't be considered anything but 'stupid'....haha

Encase someone has no idea what a VW UP is @ 1.88 million baht

pride and joy ? or 'stupid'.?

attachicon.gif758034684.jpg

Incredibly stupid, seeing as they will be officially sold in Thailand under the eco car scheme ;)

Remember when a Nissan Juke was fetching 2M gray? :D

Hot looking little bubble VW. Obviously targeted at upper demographic with good taste and fat bank account. I'm sure it will sell just not at rate of Vios. I'm not holding my beer ? on this one.

It is the entry level VW. May well be bought by people from the so called upper demographic with fat bank accounts, but even Bill Gates would be an idiot if he bought one at 1.88 million baht. Could you imagine how many would be sold in Europe if it was twice the price of a Fiesta.

I don't quite understand the logic behind that some things which are either of perceived/true higher value are described by some of 'stupid' buys, etc.

You can argue this with many things, like wines, whiskies, clothes and so on. A H&M T-shirt is similar to a Calvin Klein in that it covers your body with similar colors, yet materials are probably slightly different.

A new Honda Accord is a nice car, but I doubt that it has the same quality of materials inside or even engine wise as a new Benz C Class.The difference in price 1.6 compared to 2.8 m.

Is it worth is....for many not, but for many yes. Some are just satsified with an entry level smartphone and some want the top end....what's the problem with both...???

Although I must admit buying a VW Up for 1.8m.....can't be considered anything but 'stupid'....haha

You appear to be the German auto industry's idea of its ideal customer, and I encourage you to "import away." Only, don't forget to get your BMW's cooling system rebuilt at 100,000 miles, as the manufacturer requires. Because hey -- all that superior German engineering needs lots of expensive servicing.

You appear to be the German auto industry's idea of its ideal customer, and I encourage you to "import away." Only, don't forget to get your BMW's cooling system rebuilt at 100,000 miles, as the manufacturer requires. Because hey -- all that superior German engineering needs lots of expensive servicing.

Absolutely not, but I do like cars and driving and want to enjoy and have a little fun. It is bad enough that nearly no manual cars are offered here ( what I prefer). Do you actually believe that there are Japanese offerings equaling the fun of driving of let's say a BMW 320d or 328i...as you mentioned BMW! I am fully aware of higher maintenance costs....yet the time I spend driving I want to enjoy, so costs are not always the prime consideration.

I did test a number of Japanese and reviewed them well especially the latest offerings from Mazda, being the Mazda 2 diesel and Mazda 3. Can the Mazda 3 replace my Golf GTI? Well, honestly I liked the Mazda 3 and if it would have a bit more power ( 40-60 hp) let's say yes indeed I would probably choose it. Japanese car makers in Thailand however mostly play safe engine choice wise....and this is the prime reason why I enjoy German cars more. Plus in the past till really only recently the interiors of European cars were nicer. I tried new Honda Accord, Nissan Teana, Camry and so on...still I don't feel I get the enjoyment of handling/driving than a C class or 3 Series or even my Golf.

And let's face it Japanese cars with similar power are not cheaper: see BRz or WRX....

I have recommended many Japanese cars to people on understanding what they are looking for....to each their own.

Once the New Mazda MX5 arrives I surely will look at it closely as I think it is on par with en entry level Z4 or SlK, less comfy but more about driving....so to me (personally more enjoyment)... I am not stuck on brands, just what a car feels like. Test drove a Skoda vRS 2 years back and loved it, nearly got that instead of my GTI.