Three Explosive Devices thrown at foreigners in South Pattaya area

webfact

Please keep a sense of proportion. No one was harmed and it does not appear that this was anything but a prank.

The Bomb Disposal Officers confirmed that ...[even] close contact ... would likely cause only very minor injuries.

Foreigners in Pattaya are in far more danger each time they cross a road, ride a motorbike, take a baht bus ride, or eat a prawn.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the quality of foreigners and how they behave in Pattaya I can understand some resentment. (not talking here about the average expat) That of course does not justify bombing them.

If too many people at a spot are replacing local people tensions will rise. Just like the Muslims in Europe are tolerated until they reach certain levels and then people start to complain not feel at ease.

Its natural (not right), that if you feel as a local your a minority in your own city to feel some resentment. Combine that with how the woman are treated and you get this.

Lets hope its a one time thing.

One assumption that you appear to be making is that "farangs" are somehow the majority. Thais probably comprise about 95% of the local population in Pattaya-Jomtien, although in certain areas of the city you might get a different impression.

Does not even have to be a majority. But you got my drift, but I am not attacking the local expats here. We are talking about loud mouthing drunks with no respect for the girls. Those are not the average expats I take it. There is resentment in other countries too when there are many tourists misbehaving. Add the income gap here. Anyway its my opinion might not be fact.

Your opinion is "a Dutchman opinion" but Dutch people are the best educated people in the world! IMHO at least biggrin.png

<deleted> seriously what problems could youths have with foreigners to premeditate such behaviour.

probably a resentment thing. You know.. Farang <deleted> their women and acting superior etc Maybe they read TV forums and see the disdain that people have for them ... Just a thought.. Or maybe it's because the old way of life has gone for them? Property prices now forever out of their reach, you know, that kind of stuff

Edited by Rimmer

Some members here on TV said some time ago that there is safe to be tourist in LOS.......

I agree ... just time ago.

Today they just practicing tomorrow maybe real and heavy... is it means they love as to the death ?giggle.gif

Turn things around for a moment. Imagine if Thais came to your town ( England eg )with lots on money to throw around and they liked the local girls and your gf went off with a Thai. I would feel very resentfull and try my best to tell them what I thought. I have often wondered what young Thai blokes think when they see beautifull girls walking arm in arm with an old pink ferlung. If I was a young Thai I would hate it .

I don't think I would read too much into it. Sounds as if some of our disillusioned Thai youth decided to see if they could make some Farangs run, There is a huge delinquency problem in Thailand fuelled by easy access to drugs and alcohol and the breakdown of the family structure. Everyone in the family has to work to survive because of the huge cost of living increase that Thailand has seen over several years. Those very things that have destroyed the West are now evident in Thai society. The vast increase in prices in land, house and basics are more and more out of reach of the average person both in the West and in Thailand. In the long term, it is not sustainable. The wealthy are in line for a huge lesson in how to survive the redistribution of their wealth. They won't survive it. A very wise man once said the poor shall inherit the Earth. Believe it!

Everyone in the family has to work to survive because of the huge cost of living increase that Thailand has seen over several years. Those very things that have destroyed the West are now evident in Thai society. The vast increase in prices in land, house and basics are more and more out of reach of the average person both in the West and in Thailand. In the long term, it is not sustainable. The wealthy are in line for a huge lesson in how to survive the redistribution of their wealth. They won't survive it. A very wise man once said the poor shall inherit the Earth. Believe it!

How much of this do you think is the result of retirees and influx of foreigners moving to Thailand for its low cost of living?

Here in CM, amazed at how many billboards pop up advertising luxury condos when I know most Thais couldnt afford to live in them. What's going on in their minds when theyre constantly bombarded with huge advertisements promoting luxury and excess?

Turn things around for a moment. Imagine if Thais came to your town ( England eg )with lots on money to throw around and they liked the local girls and your gf went off with a Thai. I would feel very resentfull and try my best to tell them what I thought. I have often wondered what young Thai blokes think when they see beautifull girls walking arm in arm with an old pink ferlung. If I was a young Thai I would hate it .

Don't even have to imagine it! We in England - or London anyway, experienced a similar thing with the Arabs in the 80's

If you look at the quality of foreigners and how they behave in Pattaya I can understand some resentment. (not talking here about the average expat) That of course does not justify bombing them.

If too many people at a spot are replacing local people tensions will rise. Just like the Muslims in Europe are tolerated until they reach certain levels and then people start to complain not feel at ease.

Its natural (not right), that if you feel as a local your a minority in your own city to feel some resentment. Combine that with how the woman are treated and you get this.

That's right, blame the victim again.

Of course they should not have been there in a group sat having a cup of coffee.

Next time I will remember to have an equal number of natives at my morning coffee.

Just so they don't feel left out and bomb me.

A bunch of Thai youth throwing some type of incendiary device, probably a large fire cracker, is not in the same category as a terrorist who sets bombs because of an ideology gone astray. I won't be packing my bags because of it but I will remain vigilant. The other day, I was walking the beach and a group of Thai teenagers offered me some of their Vodka and Beer. They were already drunk at about 4 pm. I politely declined on the basis of being headed for an appointment. Had I made a smart comment- I am sure they were ready to act. Lots of this stuff around.

"as a local your a minority in your own city" I understand your reasoning, but I would have thought that there are substantially more locals in Pattaya and B/K than tourists. I may be wrong of course, and if I am, then I think TAT would be very interested in the figures!

"as a local your a minority in your own city" I understand your reasoning, but I would have thought that there are substantially more locals in Pattaya and B/K than tourists. I may be wrong of course, and if I am, then I think TAT would be very interested in the figures!

Your right.. i should not have said minority in your own city.. just having past a certain percentage of foreigners immigrants in a city gets tensions.. not sure how high it is actually before friction starts. (believe its 20% that irritation start I read about this somewhere but its on in the English language).

Again this is not justification for bombing people.. and it will never be that. Some people are not bright enough to see that I don't blame the victim but give a reason for attacks.

That's right, blame the victim again.

Of course they should not have been there in a group sat having a cup of coffee.

Next time I will remember to have an equal number of natives at my morning coffee.

Just so they don't feel left out and bomb me.

No victim blaming.. just giving an explanation why it happens. I wrote down clearly that it does not justify it and that its not right.

But then again you read what you want to read, normal people understand that.. that is why the post got quite a few likes and your never get those.

Scary behavior on part of "generation zero." More to come? I hope not! As an aside, my guess (based on a simple, random sampling technique) is that Thais comprise about 90-95 per cent of the total population in Pattaya-Jomtien. Of course, in certain areas the concentration of farangs is higher than in others. But that does not change the total composition of the population.

There could be more to this story, the foreigners probably made them lose face and this was the revenge. But we will never know the facts.

Edited by balo

Im sure our resident super sleuths will be along shortly to put us all in the picture.

Im waiting for the Mr T word to raise its head,wont be long now i guess.

I guess these kids must hate farangs as much as Thaksin is alleged to have hated them.

How's that?

Guess under who's reign the 90 days reporting got reinstated.

There's one...

Only by idiots who have no clue. Right now, you are the only one to do it.

The rest of us know that he does not use kids with home-made devices, he pays UDD thugs to go out with M79's.

There's 2. Any advance on 2 gentlemen?

Back on topic, the use of the term explosive devices is a welcome change here. Traditionally in Thai media, the terrible carnage wrought by roadside bombs by southern separatists gets the same labeling as the big firework that makes a lot of noise, smoke and dust in a high-end Bangkok shopping mall and makes Miss Hiso drop her Hello Kitty purse.

Adulterated firecrackers, mini pipe bombs and other small, home-made explosive devices can be deadly but in this instance, with neither 'bomber' nor intended victim staying around to tell a tale, we can only guess what happened and why. I mean, are there any witnesses beyond the solitary 'nearby' security guard? Chances are he only saw the final stages of the event and missed the bit that saw the real targets, possibly some punks from a rival gang, speeding off in the opposite direction on their bikes. He just saw some farangs running and assumed they were the intended victims.

I'm tired now. TV sleuthing is a biatch.

Your right.. i should not have said minority in your own city.. just having past a certain percentage of foreigners immigrants in a city gets tensions.. not sure how high it is actually before friction starts. (believe its 20% that irritation start I read about this somewhere but its on in the English language).

Again this is not justification for bombing people.. and it will never be that. Some people are not bright enough to see that I don't blame the victim but give a reason for attacks.

And just how many Thais come from Pattaya and Jomtien

want to put a % on that ?

A confidential source told me they read Thai Visa. Who can blame them?

The young Thais must have known the Falangs and have had a previous incident with them. Otherwise, the Falangs would have reported this incident to the police and would have come forward by now. There is far more to this story than has been told. As for the teens' ability to build an explosive device...."F"

The young Thais must have known the Falangs and have had a previous incident with them.

You greatly underestimate teenage Thais.

That said, their teenage emotions are often prolonged, right in to their 50's and 60's.

coffee1.gif

Edited by DLang

And just how many Thais come from Pattaya and Jomtien

want to put a % on that ?

Yes but the big difference is they are Thai not farang. If English guys move to London from a shack in the countryside then it will generate less resentment then when a Muslim for instance or a Romanian moves to London.

Again, not defending the behavior as it is criminal and real low, just explaining how or why. (i also hated it when dutch Racists torched Mosques in Holland for similar reasons)