Gloss paint remover

Mooner

Does anyone know where to buy gloss paint remover? I have looked online but havent been able to find anything. Ive seen paint remover but nothing about gloss. Heard its called deglosser or liquid sandpaper.

Anyone know a product or brand name here?

"Gloss" is just a word to describe the finish of an enamel paint - it means "shiny".

Your standard paint remover/liquid sandpaper will work ok. Or you may want to consider burning or sanding it off, depends on how big the job is and what the overall condition of the existing paint is.

If you don't need to go to the trouble of taking all the old paint off, but just want to de-gloss it to allow the new paint to bond, then I'd just use sandpaper to key the glossy surface to a suitable state.

Whatever you do, consider if there is any lead in the old paint and take appropriate precautions - gloves/mask etc.

are you trying to remove the sheen level of the paint or trying to remove the paint itself and from what as different methods can cause more problems depending on the surface it is on. Paint stripper works on all levels of paint, sheen level doesnt matter but it may take a few coats to do it, scraping between coats , if it is on a soft surface you may need to wash it with water or use steel wool and water to finish it off. As I said it all depends on what and where.

If this is to do with a metal exterior gate entrance, I have some great tips for you.

Some years ago had a metal sliding gate installed on the entrance to our property. They painted it with the usual crap silver coloured paint and within only six months rust became to show through. We called in someone to repaint the gate for us, big mistake, he just painted over the rust and within only a few months the rust soon appeared again. So as the wise man says; if you want a job done properly, do it yourself.

I first coated the gate with a rust remover using a paint brush, then sanded off the old paint and rust using a sand paper and a wire brush attachment on my electric drill. After that I drilled 2 small holes into the metal gate, the gate actually being hollow. Then with a squirty oil can began squeezing old engine oil into the holes, at least 5 litres.

Then I covered the drill holes using washers and screws that fitted in. After that bought some one coat metal gloss paint from Home Pro and some gold coloured lacquer paint to finish off the gate. Lovely job. That was at least 8 years ago and still look as good as new, because by lining the metal interior with oil stops rust, an old trick my Dad taught me back in the Jurassic period.