Is Pla Ra safe to eat?

zlodnick

Here in Issan its called "Pla Daak". Dont know if its all made the same or not. Looks and smells the same. Smells bad, taste good.

My wife wont eat anything made with it, unless she makes it herself. She buys it at the market and then boils it. She says it has parasites that invade your liver and thats why so many people here die of liver failure. Boiling kills the parasites.

There are some good restaurants around here that make great papaya salad, but I havent had any in years because of what the wife says.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is that fouling fermented fish, right?

There are lots of toxins that can't be destroyed by cooking. I don't know if they are in it, but I would avoid it.

The parasites or whatever "bugs" might be killed by heat, but the toxins they've already produced won't be. But if they really are parasites, the problem is not necessary with toxins they produce, but that they will set up house-keeping in their latest host ... you.

Parasitism is a non-mutual symbiotic relationship between species, where one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.

I like fermented foods, and plaa raa is one of them. I have never gotten sick from it.

I was unaware of the health risk, so now I'm happy to have been turned on to this information. I'm glad I never got sick from it.

While it sounds like there is solid evidence to be concerned about plaa raa after reading the links, it's important to remember that there is often strong prejudice against the food of other cultures, of food eaten by the underclass, etc., then a hunt for reasons why that food is unhealthy.

I'm sure plaa raa would be fine if it were prepared safely and correctly, just like sushi and raw chicken, raw beef, raw horse, etc. (all eaten in Japan). If not prepared correctly, food poisoning is a serious concern.

Liver flukes kill you, but not directly.

The liver flukes move from the uncooked freshwater source to your liver (Pla Ra, crabs, raw fish)

They live there happily, you not so, and cysts form around the flukes

You might suffer from jaundice or varying degrees of impaired liver function or failure.

5-10 years later the cysts become cancerous.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I like fermented foods, and plaa raa is one of them. I have never gotten sick from it.

I was unaware of the health risk, so now I'm happy to have been turned on to this information. I'm glad I never got sick from it.

While it sounds like there is solid evidence to be concerned about plaa raa after reading the links, it's important to remember that there is often strong prejudice against the food of other cultures, of food eaten by the underclass, etc., then a hunt for reasons why that food is unhealthy.

I'm sure plaa raa would be fine if it were prepared safely and correctly, just like sushi and raw chicken, raw beef, raw horse, etc. (all eaten in Japan). If not prepared correctly, food poisoning is a serious concern.

som dom can be called a food of the underclass but it can be healthy and tasty without fermented crab parasites - cysts.

mexican mole is underclass food by history and superb but not known to cause hepatiis liver disease/cancer

I didn't read the initial post. Why?

If you have to ask if something is safe to eat, it is probably not.

Use common sense, something you as a foreigner should have in spades.

I must research the health aspects mentioned and convince my lady.

In Bkk it could be the same as boo doo. (sounds like and smells like dog poo).

Similar variants in Vietnam, cambodia, China and Laos. and more?

Read a book by an Aussie recconniance helicopter pilot in Vietnam war.

They usually flew low over forest canopy and came apon this terrible smell, even inside the chopper.

Turned out to be an active V.C. village producing Mam ruoc, their variant.

Kept at arms length at the table, Boo Doo is just tolerable, but heat in the microwave or wok and its time to evacuate.

Just thought about the medical term "evacuate" . Smile please?

Edited by Jing Joe

som dom can be called a food of the underclass but it can be healthy and tasty without fermented crab parasites - cysts.

mexican mole is underclass food by history and superb but not known to cause hepatiis liver disease/cancer

Som Dom?? Do you mean som tam?

Well, that settles it, no more som tam for me.

Speaking of parasites, Ive read several post here about taking medications periodicaly for worms or other parasites. My Dr, says that is not a good idea. He said if there is a concern about parasites, get a stool sample and then you can be certain if a treatment is nessesary.

Well, that settles it, no more som tam for me.

Speaking of parasites, Ive read several post here about taking medications periodicaly for worms or other parasites. My Dr, says that is not a good idea. He said if there is a concern about parasites, get a stool sample and then you can be certain if a treatment is nessesary.

I thought it was common sense not to take antibiotics without a good reason to do so! Popping antibiotics just-in-case is the entire reason antibiotics are becoming less effective (to say nothing of what that is doing to your body!).

Timmyp,

You are absolutly right about antibiotics. I think even the Drs. here prescribe them too much.

But I was talking about worm medicine. Some guys here say they self medicate for parasites. I was also concerned, but thought it better to check with my Dr first. He said, dont do it.

They sell the main anti- Parasite medications everywhere here. Years ago I was at my friends Pharmacy on Sukhumvit in Bkk. I was there waiting for him to go to lunch with me......I noticed his selling a small box to quite a few people, One shot Albendazole dose......2 200mg tablets. his biggest seller.

I take it a few times a year......silent worm infestations are almost normal here.....google ascacris.

that is that fouling fermented fish, right?

There are lots of toxins that can't be destroyed by cooking. I don't know if they are in it, but I would avoid it.

The parasites or whatever "bugs" might be killed by heat, but the toxins they've already produced won't be. But if they really are parasites, the problem is not necessary with toxins they produce, but that they will set up house-keeping in their latest host ... you.

Parasitism is a non-mutual symbiotic relationship between species, where one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host.

I don't have the parasites in my mind, I think about the bacteria and fungus which "ferment" the fish.

I thought it was common sense not to take antibiotics without a good reason to do so! Popping antibiotics just-in-case is the entire reason antibiotics are becoming less effective (to say nothing of what that is doing to your body!).

It's not true,

They put antibiotics in animal feed, so whenever you eat meat you get a low level dose ..... and that's why bugs are becoming resistant.

Som Dom?? Do you mean som tam?

Som tam? You mean sôm dtam

Really, everyone knows what he meant.

timmyp: I like fermented foods, and plaa raa is one of them. I have never gotten sick from it.

I am curious. How do you prepare correctly, raw chicken?

Like under cooked pork or raw fish that is one hell of a risk an eater does not need to take coffee1.gif IMHO

It's not true,

They put antibiotics in animal feed, so whenever you eat meat you get a low level dose ..... and that's why bugs are becoming resistant.

The antibiotics in the food chain is a big problem too! But the bigger problem is over-prescribing them for every sniffle.

Would you eat sauce made from dirty socks? if NO.. forget the Plaa ra..

It has a good reason that we have a nose....One reason is to figure out if something is safe to eat. When you smell Plaa Ra my nose tells me: "Rotten, do NOT eat".

It is an instinct.