Bangkok city police to take harsh actions against litterbugs and vandals

webfact

City police to take harsh actions against litterbugs and vandals

6-10-2015-12-37-18-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Municipal police in all 50 districts throughout Bangkok have been instructed to get tough with garbage littering and dumping of polluted water into the city’s klongs.

Surveillance cameras which were installed throughout the city will be used to nail litterbugs and vandals

The tough actions stemmed from serious flooding in parts of Bangkok on Monday which was blamed on garbage clogging drainage system. About ten tonnes of garbage were reported to be collected from the klongs each day.

Mr Sophon Pothisob, director of the municipal police office, said that garbage dumping in klongs had become a serious problem and was blamed for causing flash flooding in the city.

He warned that, from now on, people who dump garbage into klongs would be liable to a fine of up to 2,000 baht and those who dump polluted water into the waterways would be liable to a maximum fine of 10,000 baht.

He went on saying that vandals who spray-painted graffities on walls, streets, trees or buildings would face a fine of up to 5,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/city-police-to-take-harsh-actions-against-litterbugs-and-vandals

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-10

So let me get that straight: you spray a wall and cause no harm to anyone- 5 k fine!

You throw trash into a klong and contribute to the blocking of the sewer and drainage system, which basically could kill someone, by drowning...2k fine!

I guess, that will teach the right people!

More CCTVs to be installed across Bangkok to catch litterbugs red-handed

BANGKOK, 10 June 2015 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) says more closed-circuit cameras will be installed across the capital city to hunt for litterbugs blamed for floods earlier this week.

According to the Director-General of the City Law Enforcement Office, Sopon Potisop, the installation of more CCTVs will enable BMA officials to enforce garbage-control laws more efficiently, adding that the recent flooding in the capital city was caused by tons of trash, which obstructed the city’s drainage system.

City inspectors in all 50 Bangkok districts have been instructed to closely monitor areas under their responsibilities so as to deter litter bugs from causing environmental problems. Anyone caught littering in any public area will face a fine of 2,000 baht. Those caught dropping trash or waste water on public roads or in waterways will face a stiff fine of up to 10,000 baht, said Sopon.

The City Law Enforcement Department Head added that the CCTVs would also be used to track down graffiti makers. Wrongdoers will be subject to a fine of no more than 5,000 baht in accordance with the Cleanliness Act of 2535 BE.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-10 footer_n.gif

I just hope they will spread this law country wide.

I am tired to clean up a piece of land from my wife that is used from everyone as a waste dump.

I've fixed some cameras and even the BIBs I could catch dumping garbage.

But maybe this is a different case, then the falang will clean it every few weeks.

The tough actions stemmed from serious flooding in parts of Bangkok on Monday which was blamed on garbage clogging drainage system.

Yeah, always good to blame someone ore something else.... that is Thainess

Every year there is rain coming, and every year it is the same same.... Flooding....

would it not be a idea to flush out ALL the drains and not only 70% before rainy season.....

Silly me, i forgot where i was....

It would be more useful if the police were to apply themselves to dillegently enforcing the laws that are already in place. Making more rules/laws is just a knee jerk reaction to the latest crisis ... which will soon be forgotten once some new issue crops up. Get a vision for the future and just work toward that and stop wasting time constantly getting side tracked.

pattaya should apply the same laws about fly tipping garbage dumping people littering the highways and byways even dumping garbage on land designated for building on . personally I think the law should be stricterthe fines higher a proper deterrent should be applied .

There is a word missing:

BANGKOK, 10 June 2015 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) says more closed-circuit cameras will be installed across the capital city to hunt for farang litterbugs blamed for floods earlier this week.

Thais do not litter, never.... or am I a little confused? If they would do would this not negatively impact the image of Thailand what seems the main concern? cheesy.gif

I guess we need all the Bla Bla from all the different departments to fill the news, but at the End nothing will be done. There will be a little picture-taking and finger pointing happening and that's it. DONE, created evidence action was taken. So go back to sleep and collecting tea money!

coffee1.gif

This will not stop anyone from littering. When a large commercial business needs to dump toxic waste, it will still be cheaper to use the klong. The slight chance of a 10,000 baht fine vs the 50,000-100,000 baht cost of sending toxic waste to a proper waste management site.

the fines are too low. they should be 10 times that to really scare the shit out of polluters

They simply would not pay them, remmember the crack down on speeding van drivers, they refused to pay the fine, nobody to go and collect it , the whole thing was forgotten about after a few weeks.

how about building a decent storm drain system with the capacity to remove the large volume of water that will predictably fall on bangkok every rainy season? and then making sure it's kept clear of debris prior to the start of the rainy season.

2000 baht fine? Far too light. Make it 10,000 minimum and maybe it will get somewhere

You can make it 50k and still go nowhere, it's a matter of actually walking the talk and not just talking it.

It has to be implemented effectively I agree but if the fine is too small it wouldnt make a difference no matter how effective it is implemented

I have never seen so much rubbish blowing around the country like Thailand. People have no respect, nor any idea how plastic bags, polystyrene containers are environmentally damaging to the country's image and wildlife. No litter law should be rigourously enforced.

There is a word missing:

BANGKOK, 10 June 2015 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) says more closed-circuit cameras will be installed across the capital city to hunt for farang litterbugs blamed for floods earlier this week.

Thais do not litter, never.... or am I a little confused? If they would do would this not negatively impact the image of Thailand what seems the main concern? cheesy.gif

Do many farangs dump rubbish in the klongs?