Thailand Elite one year extension without leaving the country

Interesting. I didn't realize you needed to apply for annual extensions of stay if you were here on that visa.

If you go out and return do you need a re-entry permit?

Purely academic question since I doubt I'd ever use the Elite visa.

Edited by Suradit69

Although it is 5 years it still would be cancelled if you did not get a re- entry visa..

It's a multi entry visa valid for 5 years. With emphasis on the 'multi entry' bit - that's what makes it unlimited within the 5 year period.

You could leave the country several times a week if you wanted to and you would continue to get a new 1 year stamp every time you arrive over the full membership period of 5 years.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

It works on one year stamps which are issued every time you enter the country or do an extension.

If you don't leave the country at all then you need to extend your current stay by one year at a time as the 'admitted until' date approaches.

With this visa it makes no sense to get a re-entry permit as it's a multiple entry visa with no limit on the number of entries while it's valid, also each entrance gets a fresh 1 year stamp from the day of entrance.

I presume this ends when the membership period ends but that remains to be seen as nobody will have had a membership expire yet.

As for how much money it saves, that would depend on your individual circumstances. But I believe it pays for itself in my case in less than 2 years.

It seems it is no different from a retirement visa which costs only 1900bt per year

• Like 2

Not only do TE visa holders need re-entry permits but they also remain subject to the 90-day reporting requirement, according to the notice at the foot of the OP's scan. So much for the proud boast on the TE website (http://www.thailandelite.com/tpc_news_view.php?id=6) that they "can stay in the country like a Thai citizen", then, says the cynic in me!

Are there any Immigration criteria (particularly of a financial nature) that TE visa holders are expected to comply with at annual extension of stay time?

• Like 1

If you exit and re-enter just before the visa expires and receive a permission to stay stamp for one year, can you effectively extend the life of the visa to six years, using a re-entry permit to keep that final year's permission to stay alive since your visa would have expired?

Also, has anyone had experience with TE in Chiang Mai? I'm on a retirement visa, but CM Immigration has become such a nightmare, I'm wondering if people with TE status get any special treatment. I suppose I could just hire a visa agent and get the same results. I wouldn't need to have that 800,000 baht tied up, would I? Hmm.... gotta do the math.

Edited by NancyL

Reply to Nancyl

I am sure your first question will be answered by others

The second point is interesting. I am also on a extension to stay for retirement in Chiang Mai - I make the 90day reporting by mail and the annual extension by appointment at which time I also apply for a multiple exit visa - thus the overcrowding situation at the immigration office has a limited effect on me.

A lady friend has just applied for the Elite visa as she is not yet 50 - she has opted for this after spending 1 year on the Ed visa and is looking forward to the hassle free benefits- she will have to report every 90days( by mail) and if she does not exit in the next year then have an extension made in Bangkok ( Chiang Mai immig. Cannot do this). This is still much easier than the alternatives to her.

However , I am not applying as the baht 500,000 cost every 5 years is far higher than the extension of stay for retirement , even though you need baht 800,000 in a bank account.

John

• Like 1

Reply to Nancyl

The second point is interesting. I am also on a extension to stay for retirement in Chiang Mai - I make the 90day reporting by mail and the annual extension by appointment at which time I also apply for a multiple exit visa - thus the overcrowding situation at the immigration office has a limited effect on me.

A lady friend has just applied for the Elite visa as she is not yet 50 - she has opted for this after spending 1 year on the Ed visa and is looking forward to the hassle free benefits- she will have to report every 90days( by mail) and if she does not exit in the next year then have an extension made in Bangkok ( Chiang Mai immig. Cannot do this). This is still much easier than the alternatives to her.

However , I am not applying as the baht 500,000 cost every 5 years is far higher than the extension of stay for retirement , even though you need baht 800,000 in a bank account.

John

I hope you realise that you don't need to have the 800,000 baht in the bank all the time just the 3 months before you renew the visa . Also if you have income of 65,000 baht per month ( from a pension, rental income , lottery winnings , ect ) you don't have to have any money in a bank. You can use a combo method as well say 400,000 in the bank and income of 32,500 baht per month.

• Like 1

I am confused...

What does TE stand for? Thailand Elite?

Is this the old Taksin program that used to cost 1MB or something and was for life, and included golf greens fees (free or discounts) spas, etc. transport to/from airport etc.?

If yes, then according to UbonJoe post there is a 500k option with duration of 5 years. And some users have said that the expiration is not actually enforced?

What does P.E. stand for - as stamped in the visa image by OP?

Reply to Nancyl

John

I hope you realise that you don't need to have the 800,000 baht in the bank all the time just the 3 months before you renew the visa . Also if you have income of 65,000 baht per month ( from a pension, rental income , lottery winnings , ect ) you don't have to have any money in a bank. You can use a combo method as well say 400,000 in the bank and income of 32,500 baht per month.

Yes, and the money is always yours and can be withdrawn if you decide to leave the country. Unlike the TE cost of 500K baht, which cannot be recovered.

• Like 1

Sure, I know the 800,000 baht can be taken out and used, just so you have 800,000 baht in the bank 90 days before you apply for your next extension. Sad to learn you can't apply for your extension in CM -- that you have to go physically go down to Bangkok. Reading the TE website, it implies it can be done in CM.

Did the math and realized a visa agent if definitely the way to go for retired people -- esp. once I read the TE website and realized you don't get the spa and golf bennies with the 500,000 baht package.

• Like 1

Great post ukrules ...

Per TV norm, the thread is spiraling down...

The down spiral should be taken as an opportunity.

Each post containing misleading information, critic of the program or its members, lies about the program, or baseless surrealistic comments... give an opportunity to informed and knowledgeable posters to come up with real facts.

Many Thailand Elite members share their opinion about the program in this forum. And it is the best advertisement Thailand Elite could dream of :)

Been here over 7 years and paid nowhere near 500k!!

I'm 41, married to a Thai, don't have marriage visa, had a work permit half the time i have been here, come and go as i please and never had a re-entry permit!!

I don't think i have even spent 250,000 bht in that time in lawyers fees and tax for my house.

Been here over 7 years and paid nowhere near 500k!!

I'm 41, married to a Thai, don't have marriage visa, had a work permit half the time i have been here, come and go as i please and never had a re-entry permit!!

I don't think i have even spent 250,000 bht in that time in lawyers fees and tax for my house.

Everybody is happy for you.

You made some great savings there. Good.

However, not everybody needs to save money. Especially when we speak about such small amounts.

Also, not everybody is married. Hopefully I would say wink.png

And, most members never had to consider a "work permit". Thailand Elite is not a product aimed at those who still need to work.

Many members are under 50, but many members are above 50. Thailand Elite is about quality of life. It makes life comfortable for young and older people.

I was younger than you when I became a member.

12 years of membership and I can only be thankful to the program for allowing me such easy stays.

Well, in any case, we are all happy that you are happy with your cheaper option and made some savings. Great for you wink.png

Believe it or not, I, as a Thailand Elite member, am also very happy.

And I think all other members are happy too.

Happiness. That is what counts.

Got nothing to do with saving money!!

I certainly wouldn't be living here if i wanted to save money.

I just happened to find a lawyer that knew what he was doing.biggrin.png

But if you are happy then im sure that's all that matters!!