Vietnam-Going or Living?

Apologies in advance for being bone-idle, but a search on this site area came up zero.

A few questions--

I need to go to Hanoi for about a week next month. I know nothing about VN at all. Is it Visa on-arrival? Embassy in BKK? On-line? How much? Is it a 3 month tourist visa even for a week?

What is the flight time from DonM with AA? Is there a reliable taxi rank at the Hanoi end, or an airport train to town?

Do I really need to take Dollars US or will my Visa Card pay for most things? Can I use my European ATM card as in BKK? Can I just take baht?

I have a retirement extension "visa" here. Can I get the same in VN if I choose to live there? Or, how often do you renew the 3-month? Do they stop after 9 months but can you go outside for a bit? I have heard that there is also a 5-year visa which you can "renew" with agents every 3 months or something. Is there a sure-fire way around the red tape (I don't have a Viet wife, sorry).

(I'm qualified with 4 degrees/dips incl Master's plus all the TEFL stuff, so can I get a visa as a journeyman English teacher hobo?)

Can I wear my Rolex openly in Hanoi or is it "take care" in some dark streets, like BKK or London?

I stay in medium to semi-nice hotels, probably 4 star. What should I pay? I will look at Agoda also.

Anything else I missed??

Thx

Eddy

Eddy, I don't know the answers to all of your questions but the people here sure do. Why don't you specify your native country/passport for sure because it could matter.

Is it a good guess that you're British?

Cheers and have a good time.

I need to go to Hanoi for about a week next month. I know nothing about VN at all. Is it Visa on-arrival? Embassy in BKK? On-line? How much? Is it a 3 month tourist visa even for a week?

What is the flight time from DonM with AA? Is there a reliable taxi rank at the Hanoi end, or an airport train to town? About and hour and a half

Do I really need to take Dollars US or will my Visa Card pay for most things? Can I use my European ATM card as in BKK? Can I just take baht? The "American War" is long over. Use Dong in Hanoi. ATMs are plentiful and they will work with your card. Baht won't help you unless you change them at the Airport.

I have a retirement extension "visa" here. Can I get the same in VN if I choose to live there? Or, how often do you renew the 3-month? Do they stop after 9 months but can you go outside for a bit? I have heard that there is also a 5-year visa which you can "renew" with agents every 3 months or something. Is there a sure-fire way around the red tape (I don't have a Viet wife, sorry). Three month Visa is the max as far as I know and you need to do it in advance of your trip with the Embassy.

(I'm qualified with 4 degrees/dips incl Master's plus all the TEFL stuff, so can I get a visa as a journeyman English teacher hobo?)

Can I wear my Rolex openly in Hanoi or is it "take care" in some dark streets, like BKK or London? Why not. They'll just think its a fake.

I stay in medium to semi-nice hotels, probably 4 star. What should I pay? I will look at Agoda also. If you are staying a week stay at the metrople Legend. It will cost you more but the location and experience are worth it.

Anything else I missed?? Yes Fantastic French bread, croissant and pastry.

Thx

Eddy

I am no expert but we have traveled the country.

Depending on your country of birth you can get a visa on arrival. Go to their embassy website for more info.

Go to booking.com or similar for hotels. Goto tripadvisor etc for attractions.

Leave your watches and your qualifications at home. But if you go in winter take warm stuff with for the north. Remember travel insurance with medivac.

Tour the country and see if you like it and talk to people (expats) living there. You will need 3 weeks minimum to do the trip +- a week for the north - Hanoi, Halong and towards the mountains, 1 week for central, Hue, Danang, Na thrang, and 1 week for south HMC, the delta area and maybe an island.

From July you can lease properties for 50 years (with the option of renewing it lol). Can rent places for $ 300 to $$$$$ per month, but good place should cost you no more than $ 1200 per month.

I have read you can get a 5 year multiple entry visa but don't know the details - GOOGLE IT.

• Like 1

Thanks, I didn't ever know that there was a search engine called Google.cheesy.gif

One of the reasons for asking people on this ON LINE COMMUNITY (TV) is that people may have similar experiences or needs, or have advice from recent trips, anecdotes, little tips and tricks, and whatnot. Of course I can use hotel booking sites etc etc.

So, I make no apologies for asking people for their own experiences and help. Google may well have a broad-brush approach and give me the Embassies and the Climate, but it is no substitute for hearing stuff from Vietnam regulars and people who know the place much better than I do.

nb Yes, i am a brit with a brit pp.

Edited by pauleddy
  • Like 1

Regarding your Rolex watch even if it is fake I don't think is a good idea to wear it there. I heard from a man from Vietnam who told me many places are not safe. He said even during a day time in certain city they may just cut off your hand to take your watch. So if I was you for the first time I will be extra careful, not wear watch, ring, chain, etc. Do not carry too much money. Take a simple camera and mobile.

The best place for your visa inquiry is the embassy. Of course may be some one here can also give you good advise. Google it and try to read the official sites. Read other sites just to get info and learn about lop holes. Most site belongs to lawyers who want to make some money thinking you can not find out how to get a long time visa on your own. The same is going on here in Thailand. Some charges you almost 15000 Baht to get you a retirement visa that you can apply on your own for 1800 Baht.

I also heard there is a place near Honnai which is very cheap and many Australian are going there. A two bedroom house cost around 240 US$ to rent and a bear cost 50 cent. That is what I read in news but true or false don't know.

Anyway good luck and let us know when you are back.

1. No need to go to your embassy - use http://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-fees/ and get a visa on arrival.

2. 3 month multiple entry visas are still available but harder to get. These guys will do it though but you have to email them.

3. No retirement visas available (that's why I moved to Thailand)

4. Many 4 star hotels at much cheaper rates than here. Metropole is the best but very expensive. Worth a few nights though. Biggest range of hotels located in or near the Old Quarter. Fun area but very crowded and hectic.

5. No need to get any airport bus. Turn left out of the terminal and get a taxi - preferably either Mai Linh or Vinasun to avoid rip-offs

6. I don't wear my Rolex - bit of a red flag. I once had someone call out "hey Rolex!" as I walked into my hotel.

7. Be prepared for a lot of noise. Vietnamese use their horns ALL the time and if you think Thais are bad drivers, wait till you get there.

8. Use your regular ATM card - loads of machines all over the place.

9. What time of year are you going? Stinking hot right now (40o+) and will be damp and miserable in the winter (just like London). Another reason I left. Best time to go is October or March.

10. The women are amazing - much more beautiful than here - the reason I keep going back!

What is the flight time from DonM with AA? Is there a reliable taxi rank at the Hanoi end, or an airport train to town? About and hour and a half

Do I really need to take Dollars US or will my Visa Card pay for most things? Can I use my European ATM card as in BKK? Can I just take baht? The "American War" is long over. Use Dong in Hanoi. ATMs are plentiful and they will work with your card. Baht won't help you unless you change them at the Airport.

I have a retirement extension "visa" here. Can I get the same in VN if I choose to live there? Or, how often do you renew the 3-month? Do they stop after 9 months but can you go outside for a bit? I have heard that there is also a 5-year visa which you can "renew" with agents every 3 months or something. Is there a sure-fire way around the red tape (I don't have a Viet wife, sorry). Three month Visa is the max as far as I know and you need to do it in advance of your trip with the Embassy.

Can I wear my Rolex openly in Hanoi or is it "take care" in some dark streets, like BKK or London? Why not. They'll just think its a fake.

I stay in medium to semi-nice hotels, probably 4 star. What should I pay? I will look at Agoda also. If you are staying a week stay at the metrople Legend. It will cost you more but the location and experience are worth it.

Anything else I missed?? Yes Fantastic French bread, croissant and pastry.

Thx

Eddy

Just got back from a few weeks in Vietnam and loved it.

Some great hotel deals on Agoda. Excellent hotels for around $30 a night. I recommend staying somewhere in the old quarter.

I enjoyed the street life at night. The driving in Vietnam is crazy. Horns constantly blaring. It takes some getting use to.

I use to pull 2,000,000 dong at a time, about $100. Taxis are reasonable, $15 from the airport. Everything is little lower priced than Thailand.

English speakers are more difficult to find than Thailand.

Try getting down to Hoian. I really liked spending time there, although it's hot, 37 everyday. Flights are inexpensive.

Have fun.

I am no expert but we have traveled the country.

Depending on your country of birth you can get a visa on arrival. Go to their embassy website for more info.

Go to booking.com or similar for hotels. Goto tripadvisor etc for attractions.

Leave your watches and your qualifications at home. But if you go in winter take warm stuff with for the north. Remember travel insurance with medivac.

Tour the country and see if you like it and talk to people (expats) living there. You will need 3 weeks minimum to do the trip +- a week for the north - Hanoi, Halong and towards the mountains, 1 week for central, Hue, Danang, Na thrang, and 1 week for south HMC, the delta area and maybe an island.

From July you can lease properties for 50 years (with the option of renewing it lol). Can rent places for $ 300 to $$$$$ per month, but good place should cost you no more than $ 1200 per month.

I have read you can get a 5 year multiple entry visa but don't know the details - GOOGLE IT.

The 5 Year Multiple Entry/exit are for Viet Kieu's - returning Vietnamese with a foreign passport or for people with a contract with the Viet Govt or as one poster said - three month Visa is the max - iot can be extended two times, then you have to leve country (unless your married to a Vietnamese, there are one year Visas's for Family visit or are under a Viet doctors care (terminal illness) I know one person with a 10 year Visa - she has cancer.

a lot of good information here:

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=219

Visa information/laws are changing almost daily, be sure your country is on the Visa on arrival list, you apply on-line and the Visa is waiting for you in the airport used to cost $35, but may be more.

I normally flew Vietjet from Swampy. Taxi from the airport USD15. Alternatively, you can take the bus...can't remember whether its No.16 or 23.

Ask to be dropped off at Ly Quoc Su St. It's the backpackers central but they do have very comfy private rooms at Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel and also at Central Backpacker's Hostel.

If its not to your liking just walk straight down (it's a one way street) till the end of the street there a traffic junction, then turn left. About 5-10 meters there's a nice 4 star hotel on your left USD 25 a night.

If you flew in with a 30 day visa and wish to stay longer, go to the bus station at Hoan Kiem Lake. There are minivans to Lang Son, the Vietnam-China border for your visa run. 4hrs one way 60,000 Dong.

Or you can go back to Ly Quoc Su Street, ask where Hanoi Backpacker's Hostel at. You will be pointed into a small alley akin to soi here.

Once you are at the alley, on your right there's a German Restaurant that serves a mean Goulash. Next to it is a laundry and next to the laundry is a travel agency. 150,000 Dong and you don't need to take the trip to the border. Only your passport goes. They'll returned it to you at your hotel or you can collect personally.

Wearing Rolex in Hanoi is fine but a...no..no in Saigon. Yes, the Vietnamese call it Saigon...lol.

Since tou have TEFL, go online and sign up to this google this website, The New Hanoian. Sign up as a member and in classifieds offer English tutoring, rates starts at USD 10 and could go up to USD25 an hour.

Last thing, you can recieve money from anywhere into VE but nothing goes out.

Have a good trip, cheers!

whistling.gif I have never been to Hanoi, but I have been to Ho Chi Minh City three times.

There are some differences in what your asking depending on if you are going to Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi.

1. There is No such thing as a visa on arrival. What you can get from an agent is a letter of introduction. It is NOT a visa. You present this letter of introduction (for which you paid the agent a fee) as you arrive. They give you a real visa .......it was for 30 days then, may be more now...... and pay what they call a "stamping fee"..... and they stamp a visa into your passport.

The total costs.... including the letter of introduction from the agent..... now runs about $45 for Americans..... may be different for other nationalities.

That so called "stamping fee" is the real visa and is done at the airport in HCMC. They want cash for the stamping fee, but sometimes will accept a known international Credit card such as MasterCharge or Visa. Cash in U.S. dollars and Pounds is gladly accepted. Do NOT bring Thai Baht..... you'll pay more if they accept Baht at all.

2. Before you leave Thailand, at the airport, buy U.S. dollars, Pounds, or possibly Euros for your Baht. Dollars, pounds, and Euros..... those are the 3 holy currencies in HCMC.

3. The taxis to look for are as some one else said the Mai Linh and the Vinasun taxis. They are the most reliable, beware anything called an Airport taxi as they are most always an expensive rip off. When you arrive usually avoid the taxis at the front of a taxi queue, instead go to the back of he queue and look for a Mai Linh or Vinasun taxi there.

4. Book a hotel ahead of time and have the booking slip with an address on it. Don't try to pronounce the name of the hotel as what you think it is probably won't be understood to a Vietnamese. You can't get the tones right, Vietnamese is a tonal language.

5. Even as an American don't worry about the war. Over 50 percent of the people you will meet in HCMC are under 40 years old, and despite what the government keeps preaching most of them just regard the "American War" as old history and they just want to forget and get on with their new life now. In fact, you are likely to find them eager to talk to Americans and practice their English.

6.In HCMC there are ATMs that will take Bangkok Bank cards and give you Vietnamese Dong for local spending. I used my Bangkok Bank Be1st ATM /debit card with no problem.

7. Basically, relax and chill out. Enjoy HCMC, especially the cheap hotels in the backpackers area. Just don't get involved with any drug crap. I even found a stand that served the best Turkish Donner sandwich since I left Turkey years ago.

8. if you are an old F--t like me you may be surprised by the white haired couples (foreigners) wandering around amid the young backpacker crowd. If you are over 65 you can get a 50% discount on Vietnamese trains which are cheap anyhow to travel around the country. They are a good idea and you can also book overnight sleeper trains between cities. Try for a lower bunk in the sleepers, if you don't want to climb ladders.

"1. There is No such thing as a visa on arrival. What you can get from an agent is a letter of introduction. It is NOT a visa. You present this letter of introduction (for which you paid the agent a fee) as you arrive They give you a real visa".

No such thing as a visa on arrival? Then what the hell do you call a visa you get when you arrive??

1. I've been in VN 3 times and I always let my travel agency do the visa and the paperwork. It cost me about 1K more but I'm not wasting my time and money for transportation fees, etc.

2. If you have the money to buy a rolex and to stay in a 4 stars hotel then you also can spend a few Dong for a taxi from AP to Hotel.

3. Hanoi isn't more dangerous than any other city in this world but using brain when travelling and not to go alone in dark streets is never wrong. Leave your valuables at home then you don't have to be worry about that.

Enjoy your time there!

I go to Vietnam 3 times a year and I enjoy Hanoi a lot and it is such a cool place to hang out. As some have mentioned there is no retirement visa available yet, so if you do move there, you will need to make visa runs every 3 months. Vietnam is a fantastic place and has many nice cities to live in. I especially like Nha Trang, Hue, and Hanoi as places to live in. The cities are not unsafe like Thailand and most people are polite and mostly leave you alone or are at least friendly. Vietnam is definitely a better place to live than Thailand in my opinion, but they don't offer a retirement visa which could change in the future. If they do change their visa policy then I will move there too. I have a few foreign friends living there and they love it.

When reading this it looks like you are not talking about vietnam...

Even my US vietnamese friends find it boring and complicated to live compared to Thailand...

And if it's such a marvellous place like Cambodia it my be the reason why there are as many tourists as Cambodia there, right ?

Ridiculous.

I go to Vietnam 3 times a year and I enjoy Hanoi a lot and it is such a cool place to hang out. As some have mentioned there is no retirement visa available yet, so if you do move there, you will need to make visa runs every 3 months. Vietnam is a fantastic place and has many nice cities to live in. I especially like Nha Trang, Hue, and Hanoi as places to live in. The cities are not unsafe like Thailand and most people are polite and mostly leave you alone or are at least friendly. Vietnam is definitely a better place to live than Thailand in my opinion, but they don't offer a retirement visa which could change in the future. If they do change their visa policy then I will move there too. I have a few foreign friends living there and they love it.

When reading this it looks like you are not talking about vietnam...

Even my US vietnamese friends find it boring and complicated to live compared to Thailand...

And if it's such a marvellous place like Cambodia it my be the reason why there are as many tourists as Cambodia there, right ?

Ridiculous.

I have to say that having been to Hanoi last month I am on DividendGuy's side here and there is nothing 'ridiculous' about what he said. It is a communist country so I suspect living there might get tedious in terms of red tape but then so does Thailand. I thought the people were very pleasant, English was widely spoken in Hanoi and I would love to go back and see more of the country.

To Thailandforumaddict:

I think you are the one who is ridiculous. I have a right to my opinion and you have a right to yours and I never attack anyone until they attack me first. Most likely, you and I don't share the same level of lifestyle in Vietnam when we are there. And your statement of "Even my US vietnamese friends find it boring and complicated to live compared to Thailand. " What the hell does that mean? I think you are making up that you have " US vietnamese friends" so what if you do, they don't have any bearing to my comments. And I can't understand your last sentence? You need to stop drinking during the day or whatever you are doing because you don't make any sense. But I say again...you have a right to your comment as long as you don't attack other people's comments.

Thanks for a lot of good answers guys!

My real crunch would be Thai vs Viets. Thais are, as we know, mainly corrupt at high or low level, even the bin man. They can also be very beautiful. They like branded goods and it's a show-off society. They have wonderful smiles but can smile as they pull out a blade. They are mainly lazy and disorganised when put in a "real" job like managing an office or a school.

The Viets seem to be better at business, but may be worse to understand because of the honking sound. Do they smile as much as Thais? Is Vietnam now where Thailand was 20 years ago? I hear that they have big supermarkets now.

Any social comments most wanted!

Eddy