Mental Health Department: there are six suicides for every 100,000 Thais

webfact

Mental Health Department: there are six suicides for every 100,000 Thais

11-6-2558-11-32-50-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- About 4,000 Thais commit suicides each year or 6 suicide cases for every 100,000 people and the fathers tend to have the influence in making suicide decisions for family members, said Dr Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, director-general of Mental Health Department, on Thursday.

He explained that a suicide can happen to every individual, depending on a host of factors – physically, socially or mentally – especially among people suffering from depression and drug addicts.

However, he said that, usually, there are warning signals before someone commit suicide such as abrupt change of behavior.

Citing multiple suicides committed by heads of families, Dr Jesada said that the head of a family or the father who killed his family members and then committed suicide would think that if he killed himself, the rest of his family would be in deep trouble and might not survive so he killed the whole family, including himself.

Most family suicide cases were attributable to mental suffering, deep stress and desperation on the part of the persons who committed multiple suicides. However, the problem can be prevented if the sufferers are provided with counseling or rehabilitation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mental-health-department-there-are-six-suicides-for-every-100000-thais

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-11

The last time suicide featured in the news forum was in respect to the mention of a farmer's suicide. Several of the elected government bashers went off on a frothy spit fueled rampage, blaming the deposed elected government for the suicides. Now that the suicide numbers are increasing, and the military has been in control for a year, I wonder if we will see these frothers blame the General and his entourage for these suicides.

In Australia death by suicide is around 10 per 100,000 pa., even though there has been a major effort by government for suicide prevention campaigns. Would it be correct to assume death by suicide is under reported in Thailand?

Males in US, UK, Australia (15.3), Canada, Switzerland, Germany, France, New Zealand all commit suicide 2 or 3 times as much and Korea and Japan LIKE 4 TIMES as much.

So it is understandable why Western men come to Thailand. I don't know why South Korea and Japan are so high unless it is Kpop and Jpop?

But Greenland with 117 per 100,000 is just off the charts. Reminds me of why my wife said she would divorce me if we didn't leave Spokane Wa. (no sun for 3 months straight).

Australian Aboriginals had 70 per 100,000 what is that all about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Edited by lostoday

Males in US, UK, Australia (15.3), Canada, Switzerland, Germany, France, New Zealand all commit suicide 2 or 3 times as much and Korea and Japan LIKE 4 TIMES as much.

So it is understandable why Western men come to Thailand. I don't know why South Korea and Japan are so high unless it is Kpop and Jpop?

But Greenland with 117 per 100,000 is just off the charts. Reminds me of why my wife said she would divorce me if we didn't leave Spokane Wa. (no sun for 3 months straight).

Australian Aboriginals had 70 per 100,000 what is that all about?

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/people/aboriginal-suicide-rates#axzz3copRmlbt

In Australia death by suicide is around 10 per 100,000 pa., even though there has been a major effort by government for suicide prevention campaigns. Would it be correct to assume death by suicide is under reported in Thailand?

I think exactly the opposite. Male with hands and feet tied and stabbed 10 times and shot three times in the head and thrown off of building by wife - Police report - death by suicide.

In Australia its rather a high rate amongst Western countries

The last time suicide featured in the news forum was in respect to the mention of a farmer's suicide. Several of the elected government bashers went off on a frothy spit fueled rampage, blaming the deposed elected government for the suicides. Now that the suicide numbers are increasing, and the military has been in control for a year, I wonder if we will see these frothers blame the General and his entourage for these suicides.

Now that the suicide numbers are increasing,

I do not thing suicides are increasing, in 2013 the figures were the same...it does not means you are not right for the second part smile.png

I am surprised that it isn't more in Thailand, a society that places such importance on money and so many people without it.

It's the Thai women.

Men in he West commit suicide because of women or money (because you can't get a woman without money).

Everyone knows in Thailand women go for men because of love so money is not so important hence less suicide.

Or maybe it's because there are more rich men in Thailand?

Or maybe it's because things are less expensive here. That might be a shock to some people but maybe.....

Or maybe there is less mental illness in Thailand because Thai education does not drive people crazy like in the West?

Now everyone knows how Japanese education is so great and the kids are forced to study so much and the parents yell at them night and day about the importance of a good education. Suicide in Japan 19 per 100,000 and only 6 in Thailand. Maybe Somchai the Thai educator is on to something.

I am surprised that it isn't more in Thailand, a society that places such importance on money and so many people without it.

It's the Thai women.

Men in he West commit suicide because of women or money (because you can't get a woman without money).

Everyone knows in Thailand women go for men because of love so money is not so important hence less suicide.

Or maybe it's because things are less expensive here. That might be a shock to some people but maybe.....

Or maybe there is less mental illness in Thailand because Thai education does not drive people crazy like in the West?

Now everyone knows how Japanese education is so great and the kids are forced to study so much and the parents yell at them night and day about the importance of a good education. Suicide in Japan 19 per 100,000 and only 6 in Thailand. Maybe Somchai the Thai educator is on to something.

Joke of the week.

It's the Thai women.

Joke of the week.

Oh no! You mean my wife, mia noi and all my girlfriends don't just want me because I'm so handsome at 70 years of age? Next thing you'll be telling me the soi dogs don't bite me because I give them food - and here I thought it was because I talked nice to them.smile.png

Although on a serious note you have to admit that during WW II there were no Thai Kamikaze pilots. Can't you see it. Japanese officer fresh from a train trip over the river Kwai tells pilot Somchai to get into that plane and crash it into the American carrier. Pilot Somchai to Japanese general, "Say what - fool?"cheesy.gif