Postman rings while you're out

Morakot

Postman tries to deliver EMS/ Registered mail while you are out. --- What happens next?

Looking at past track records, redelivery is attempted at a later day. This however is usually NOT the next business day and a paper notification is only posted on the second unsuccessful attempt a few days later!

As I am likely not be in the second time around, all registered mail is always delayed by a several days.

Can someone shed light on the following:

• Is this is standard procedure in Thailand?
  • Where does my mail go during the first and second delivery attempt?
  • Can I pick it up from the mail centre right after the first attempt?

post-155923-0-64084500-1434011413_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

If you're not in they usually leave a pink postcard giving you 7 days notice to collect. If you don't collect they'll send it back.

HTH

• Can I pick it up from the mail centre right after the first attempt?

Wait until the following day to ensure it's there.

If you're not in they usually leave a pink postcard giving you 7 days notice to collect. If you don't collect they'll send it back.

In Thailand the notifications are pink? Never seen that.

That's the whole point of the OP -- that the following day it cannot be collected, as goes somewhere until the second redelivery attempt a few days later!

That's the whole point of the OP -- that the following day it cannot be collected, as goes somewhere until the second redelivery attempt a few days later!

Yes definitely a pinkish colour - had one recently to get our set top box voucher.

Yes definitely a pinkish colour - had one recently to get our set top box voucher.

I see. So each mail centre just make their own "cards". So much for finding out about "standard procedures"... facepalm.gif

post-155923-0-68307200-1434015809_thumb.

1. nao5y0-pinkpanther.jpg

2. If you try to collect the same day it will likely still be in the postman's sack, miles from the office! Have a guess at how I found that one out smile.png

Edited by evadgib

2. If you try to collect the same day it will likely still be in the postman's sack miles from the office! Have a guess at how I found that one out smile.png

OK, step by step. Look at the mail track record in the OP.

The delivery was attempted on 4 June. So we can safely assume the item was in the postman's sack.

Second delivery attempt on 6 June. Yes we also can assume the item was in the postman's sack.

Now my question is: where was it on the 5 June? Doing what?

Edited by Morakot

Like many thing in Thailand, there is rarely any consistency. It will vary from Post Office to Post Office and also depend on location, like village city etc.

In many places, if delivery has failed for a "signed' item it is returned to the local office for collection or to re-arrange delivery. In more rural situations, like my village, the local post guy is part time, and will often hang on to mail in the bike sack rather than return it to the office as its too far.

My suggestion, as I have done, is get a local PO Box in the post office, you can get what you need when it suits you and never miss anything, unless you choose not to get it.

2. If you try to collect the same day it will likely still be in the postman's sack miles from the office! Have a guess at how I found that one out smile.png

OK, step by step. Look at the mail track record in the OP.

The delivery was attempted on 4 June. So we can safely assume the item was in the postman's sack.

Second delivery attempt on 6 June. Yes we also can assume the item was in the postman's sack.

Now my question is: where was it on the 5 June? Doing what?

It was almost certainly in the local post office waiting to be taken out for delivery again. Why don't you just call them and ask? I get a pink card the first time they try to deliver, if I'm not in. If I ask nicely, they will usually agree to try again the next day although they sometimes pretend they can't do this.

Thanks everyone! I manage to shed light onto this.

In my area in Bangkok, all post arrives in one of the mail centres. If undelivered after the second attempt, it will be returned to the mail centre were it arrived.

In the meantime if the mail is not with the postman, it is at the local delivery branch, usually attached to a postoffice. I went there this morning to collect another registered item. This place is not really geared for customers collecting their post, but is actually a large sorting hall, with dozens of people at workstations sorting mail. I stumbled in there and was awkwardly pointed to some guy's stations who searched for my letter after I told him where I lived. None wanted to see any ID.

A PO Box seems the way forward.

Edited by Morakot

Thanks everyone! I manage to shed light onto this.

In my area in Bangkok, all post arrives in one of the mail centres. If undelivered after the second attempt, it will be returned to the mail centre were it arrived.

In the meantime if the mail is not with the postman, it is at the local delivery branch, usually attached to a postoffice. I went there this morning to collect another registered item. This place is not really geared for customers collecting their post, but is actually a large sorting hall, with dozens of people at workstations sorting mail. I stumbled in there and was awkwardly pointed to some guy's stations who searched for my letter after I told him where I lived. None wanted to see any ID.

A PO Box seems the way forward.

Stumbling in and being awkwardly pointed to some guy's workstation in the middle of a disorganised sorting hall sounds exactly like the system they have up here in Chiang Mai! I think they do ask me for ID though.