Sim Registration.....

Chivas

Haven't been in Thailand since January my longest ever absence under normal circumstances. My True Sim had 3 months vaildity when I left and has been topped up remotely at 7/11's twice since then

I short if I dont come before July 1st ( or is it 31st ? ) does it auto expire or is everyone taking the "wait and see approach" with this Sim Registration requirement or has the whole idea been shelved anyway ??

Not the end of the World if the number is lost but prefer not to....

you can call your provider and for 2 baht a month extend the time the number will stay active. I put 48 baht on my DTAC standby sim and it is now good for 2 years. Yes still need to top up as / if needed to make calls.

yes it is registered.

If you do not register your SIM card by 31 July, the number will be cancelled and can not be recovered.

If you do not register your SIM card by 31 July, the number will be cancelled and can not be recovered.

Source please!

The official NBTC site so far only states that the number will be blocked for outgoing calls/SMS except emergency numbers.

They explicitely state that you can receive calls/SMS during a "period" until final termination!

Unfortunately I can not find details what this period for final termination should be.

All in all it sounds to me, that there will be a chance to catch up with the registration after 31 July (grace period?).

Maybe they keep it a secret for now, not to encourage people to loiter.

Someone fluent in Thai could go through this site:

http://sim.nbtc.go.th/

In Q&A point 6 they described the blocking of outgoing and possibiliy of incoming.

http://sim.nbtc.go.th/qa.php

Edited by KhunBENQ

You seen very certain of your facts and as I asked I can hardly argue.

I can only imagine that Thailand will grind to a halt on 1st August as cannot believe many Thais will know or bother to register

I have True move and started getting a 20 second message every time I made a call warning about the July 31st registration date a couple of days ago.

Registered it this morning at True in the Tesco here in Ubon. Just gave them my passport and it was done in just few minutes.

They even sent an SMS that if I top up within the next 4 days they will double the amount of the topup amount.

It really looks like this time they are serious.

So starting Aug 1 we could see a big rush to the registration places tongue.png

Guess they will then define the grace period for registration (to get it back working) before numbers are terminated.

Also I think the whole procedure will lead to some cleanup of SIMs (numbers) not used anymore.

It really looks like this time they are serious.

So starting Aug 1 we could see a big rush to the registration places tongue.png

Guess they will then define the grace period for registration (to get it back working) before numbers are terminated.

Also I think the whole procedure will lead to some cleanup of SIMs (numbers) not used anymore.

you still can ask anybody on the streets to register a SIM under their name if you promise them a few Baht.

this new strict rule will not prevent the real BAD BOYS from doing bad things with SIM cards....

I am not happy to be under permanent JUNTA surveillance either.....

search thaivisa and you will find that some Thai's were caught registering SIM cards for other than them selves, it is against the law.

Q&A 6 on the Thai website in nebula's at best it says on August 1, 2015 non registered SIM cards can not make calls, send SMS's only make Emergency calls (obviously to registered emergency numbers), receive calls, receive SMS.

it says this is to perverse any credit that may still be on the number. Unregistered numbers are receiving SMS messages to register. You can dial a number to check if the number is registered.(don't remember it right now)

In what I have been told, register or loose the number, source seriousness of the situation with unregistered SIM-Phone There were 48,000,000 unregistered numbers the last time i checked

Please remember it against the law to register a SIM card in some one else name.

Yes they are very serious, yes they will now know who made the call or used the number.

If you don't do anything wrong, why worry!

Privacy, sorry that doesn't exist anymore, so get over it and comply.

Tourists just need to register to get a SIM card, they must show a passport the number will be registered to it. Thai's their ID Cards.

For you conspiracy theory people out there. They already have a copy of your passport it was scanned and is in the data base at immigration.

you still can ask anybody on the streets to register a SIM under their name if you promise them a few Baht.

this new strict rule will not prevent the real BAD BOYS from doing bad things with SIM cards....

They don't know what they are doing!

If the SIM is misused for LM or criminal activities they will have a hard time to proof innocent.

And that is my main concern about the registration in my name.

I will keep an eye on my phone even more stringent than ever.

Unfortunately for me, I was ignorant to the whole registration thing up until I was to board my plane at Suvarnabhumi, and I spent almost two weeks in Bangkok!

When I called AIS customer service they told me that they themselves don't know what will happen to my SIM-card after 31 July, and that I could even lose all my money on the balance.

If the limitation concerns only outgoing calls/SMS/internet then it is OK, I will register next time I am in Thailand.

But if I will lose my number altogether then it is very bad, the only option I will have is to transfer all money (several hundred Baht) to my Thai friend's number.

Edited by winterbalm

When I called AIS customer service they told me that they themselves don't know what will happen to my SIM-card after 31 July,

What a lovely organized country tongue.png

And I thought it was only me who does not know cheesy.gif

To check if your number is registered.

dial (on the phone with your SIM card installed) *151# , wait a message will come up with the SIM number and if it is registered the (usually) last 4 numbers of the identification used. If all Thai text following the SIM number, probably not registered.

Have a Thia read the message to you.

Register it or loose it, the number that is, if you have credit on the SIM it can be applied to your new number when you buy a new SIM card and register it.

Oh Ye of little faith, don't register and take your chances you will know AT MIDNIGHT ON 31 July, 2015.

The registration has been required for almost a year now, the grace period is ending 31/7/2015.

They don't know what they are doing!

If the SIM is misused for LM or criminal activities they will have a hard time to proof innocent.

You are right, but 200 Baht goes a long way in this country....... not using the Taxi-Meter or selling lottery tickets for more than 80 Baht is illegal too, after all...... ^^

dial (on the phone with your SIM card installed) *151# , wait a message will come up with the SIM number and if it is registered the (usually) last 4 numbers of the identification used. If all Thai text following the SIM number, probably not registered.

Register it or loose it, the number that is, if you have credit on the SIM it can be applied to your new number when you buy a new SIM card and register it.

Oh Ye of little faith, don't register and take your chances you will know AT MIDNIGHT ON 31 July, 2015.

The registration has been required for almost a year now, the grace period is ending 31/7/2015.

I dialed *151# and got the following... Its a screen reply that does not allow me to copy and paste into a translator... Can someone tell me what it says?

post-23568-0-80393500-1434622714_thumb.j

I dialed *151# and got the following... Its a screen reply that does not allow me to copy and paste into a translator... Can someone tell me what it says?

It says that your SIM card is not registered and you should contact a True Shop or an authorized dealer

I just went in to the True shop at Kad Suan Kaew... I gave her my Thai drivers license which she scanned with her phone... Handed it back to me and a minute later I got a text confirming my registration and a offer of doubling my next topup!... So I topped up 1,000 baht and got an additional 1,000 baht credit to use for calls!

post-23568-0-64554700-1434695941_thumb.j

Any idea where True is based in Pattaya ? I clicked on a link to find domain expired

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/shop?ln=en

They list 5 shops in Pattaya.

(I remember only two of them from own observance, so without warranty)

One is small one between Tukcom and Friendship market next to Kasikorn bank on South Pattaya road.

https://goo.gl/maps/2gbuJ

One is in Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang.

One is at Tesco on North Pattaya rd.

One at Big C on Suk. just south of South Pattaya road.

One at Tesco on Suk. further down south.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Any idea where True is based in Pattaya ? I clicked on a link to find domain expired

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/cm/shop?ln=en

They list 5 shops in Pattaya.

(I remember only two of them from own observance, so without warranty)

One is small one between Tukcom and Friendship market next to Kasikorn bank on South Pattaya road.

https://goo.gl/maps/2gbuJ

One is in Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang.

One is at Tesco on North Pattaya rd.

One at Big C on Suk. just south of South Pattaya road.

One at Tesco on Suk. further down south.

Thanks great information appreciated....

I think only foreigners have registered their SIMs. At last check, some 54 million SIMs remained unregistered.

Assuming there aren't other "emergencies" there will be a mad rush at the end of next month, and then an extension as the "government" will not want to take the heat of having disabled millions of phones.

I think only foreigners have registered their SIMs. At last check, some 54 million SIMs remained unregistered.

Assuming there aren't other "emergencies" there will be a mad rush at the end of next month, and then an extension as the "government" will not want to take the heat of having disabled millions of phones.

Plenty of the Thais I know and work with have already registered.

Plenty of the Thais I know and work with have already registered.

Am sure Millions have indeed registered but you can bet your bottom dollar millions haven't.

In the interest of "Thainess" no doubt closer to the deadline it will be extended...............or forgotten

The last published article I saw was 24 May.

105 million SIMs

90 million pre-paid (so 15 million post-paid, which are obviously registered)

45 million registered

up to 30 million might be "inactive"

The authorities (NBTC) believe that there is enough capacity to handle all remaining registrations by the deadline of 31 July.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this some kind of RE-registration of prepaid SIMs? Last year I sent a USSD code to DTAC (cannot remember code) and it replied with confirmation I was registered and showed my passport number - so I thought I was OK. I had registered with passport about 5 years ago.

* Now when I send the *159*# USSD code, it says registration incomplete? Have all the old registrations been tossed in the bin?

Is this some kind of RE-registration of prepaid SIMs? Last year I sent a USSD code to DTAC (cannot remember code) and it replied with confirmation I was registered and showed my passport number - so I thought I was OK. I had registered with passport about 5 years ago.

* Now when I send the *159*# USSD code, it says registration incomplete? Have all the old registrations been tossed in the bin?

I think it might be. My dtac sim was also registered a few years back under my previous passport (and until recently was showing as registered), but when I checked in the dtac shop last week I was told it needed to be redone.

OK, I just found the old register check USSD for DTAC which is *102*9# and whereas previously (last year) it said I was registered, now it says I have to go and register, much like the *159*9# so I guess this must be a new system of registration.

I also note on DTAC web site this is a top of homepage item now, so that pretty much confirms it. There is also an option to do the registration by video call, so I'll give that a try when I get time.

• 4 weeks later...