A first for Thailand: Buying property with a 20-year visa

Jonathan Fairfield

well, i have read all of the current posts, what has me a bit concerned is that all of you are very negative on this scheme. Have anyone of you actually checked out what the real story is?

My husband is going to email them for more information tomorrow. We're actually interested IF the mark-up isn't 2 million baht to cover the cost of the elite and IF you can get it on the lower end condos. We've been considering the Thai Elite and we've been considering a condo. So, if we can get a two for one deal, we might consider that.

That being said, it still sounds a little too good to be true and we certainly won't be jumping on it without a whole lot of digging to find the real story. This isn't our first rodeo.

Keep us updated, two visa's on a single unit would be a very interesting twist. As you said if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if the cost of buying the condo and the thai elite are combined and the condo costs say 1 million then it's a great deal but if its 3 million then there is no advantage, other than being able to finance it. Also it is 700 USD a year!

well, i have read all of the current posts, what has me a bit concerned is that all of you are very negative on this scheme. Have anyone of you actually checked out what the real story is?

With all due respect, these experienced Thai expats know what the story is because there is no 20 year visa available to expats. That would require a sea-change in Thai visa policy which would have been all over the news and the grapevine.

What there is that you can get without buying a condo is an elite visa good for five years and renewable. It costs 500,000 baht for each five years at purchase and at each renewal. 20 years would cost you 2 million baht or about 60,000 USD. That's IF Thailand continues to offer it and at the same price each time.

There is no such thing as a free lunch meaning this thing can't be free. It's either included in an inflated price for the condo or they simply help you buy it, which help you don't need.

If you want a "20 year visa for Thailand" rock up and pay 500,000 baht (15,000 USD) for the first five years for an elite visa and then keep renewing it. Then buy the condo of your choice or better yet IMHO rent.

Cheers

I wouldn't trust this for one minute. With a new regime and new rules you could easily find yourself screwed. (Excuse the language).

Thailand is not some unstable country with military coups every 7 years where they lock up the last government and bring in their own cronies, right? I mean Puea Thai promised there would be only 1 international airport in Bangkok and now there's...3. And the Thailand Elite program that Thaksin set up is still going strong and didn't get 'reset' a couple years ago because people were golfing too much, right?

Never mind, maybe this really is a scam.

Edited by BudRight

I wouldn't trust this for one minute. With a new regime and new rules you could easily find yourself screwed. (Excuse the language).

Thailand is not some unstable country with military coups every 7 years where they lock up the last government and bring in their own cronies, right? I mean Puea Thai promised there would be only 1 international airport in Bangkok and now there's...3. And the Thailand Elite program that Thaksin set up is still going strong and didn't get 'reset' a couple years ago because people were golfing too much, right?

And the street walkers n shit, right? sh1t dude that thai bartender really knows how to make a long island.........one for the road?

My husband is going to email them for more information tomorrow. We're actually interested IF the mark-up isn't 2 million baht to cover the cost of the elite and IF you can get it on the lower end condos. We've been considering the Thai Elite and we've been considering a condo. So, if we can get a two for one deal, we might consider that.

That being said, it still sounds a little too good to be true and we certainly won't be jumping on it without a whole lot of digging to find the real story. This isn't our first rodeo.

And it won't be your last if you're moving to Thailand!

And the street walkers n shit, right? sh1t dude that thai bartender really knows how to make a long island.........one for the road?

Dude, in Thailand the street walkers do not 'walk,' they wait and grab passersby. Much like condo developers it seems.

Edited by BudRight

After reading this thread, it's easier to understand why so many farang end up whining about being left penniless in Thailand.

In your own countries if someone offers a big discount on a major purchase or throws in something extra with the purchase, do you rush in to buy on the assumption that the seller is doing it out of the goodness of his heart and with a sincere concern for buyers?

Or maybe you feel really clever, speculating that the deal might not be as good as it seems.

Dodgy adverts, dubious promises and ill-defined special offers are hardly unique to Thailand. I wonder how many expats in Thailand responded to emails from Nigeria.

Here's another exciting offer ... I wonder if there's a catch.

BrooklynBridgeForSale.jpg

Nobody said it was unique to Thailand except you. You even brought along a "straw man" in the form of a bridge.

I already live here. It's definitely a never-ending string of rodeos. biggrin.png

Agreed. There is a lot of negativity here but has anyone actually spoken to the developer offering the service?

Agreed. There is a lot of negativity here but has anyone actually spoken to the developer offering the service?

I would say I'm very cautiously hopeful. We're emailing for more information today. I'll let you know what I find out.

With all due respect, these experienced Thai expats know what the story is because there is no 20 year visa available to expats. That would require a sea-change in Thai visa policy which would have been all over the news and the grapevine.

What there is that you can get without buying a condo is an elite visa good for five years and renewable. It costs 500,000 baht for each five years at purchase and at each renewal. 20 years would cost you 2 million baht or about 60,000 USD. That's IF Thailand continues to offer it and at the same price each time.

There is no such thing as a free lunch meaning this thing can't be free. It's either included in an inflated price for the condo or they simply help you buy it, which help you don't need.

If you want a "20 year visa for Thailand" rock up and pay 500,000 baht (15,000 USD) for the first five years for an elite visa and then keep renewing it. Then buy the condo of your choice or better yet IMHO rent.

Cheers

Thai expats know what the story is because there is no 20 year visa available to expats

while its correct in saying there is no 20 year visa per se , the full TE program, for THB 2.0 million, not the 5 year version, would get you 20 year plus, if you live that long and don't partake in in spot of balcony diving from your newly purchased condo

given the reputation of property developers the world over and even more so in Thailand, coupled with the great Thai transparency and sense of fair play, one can well understand the negativity

what ever the details are, your not getting something for free, a prospective customer will be paying for this one way or the other.

but there will be those who will be convinced that they are getting something for nothing/great deal, go ahead with it and in a few years the realisation will hit home they have been screwed over

Currently Agents & Developers in Pattays offer Cashback, Gold, Laptops, Motorbiks, Travel Vouchers and much more if you buy a Condo, I wonder how long it will take until you get a small Condo for free when you buy a big Condo.

Currently Agents & Developers in Pattays offer Cashback, Gold, Laptops, Motorbiks, Travel Vouchers and much more if you buy a Condo, I wonder how long it will take until you get a small Condo for free when you buy a big Condo.

but who ultimately pays for said gold, laptop, motorbike etc ?......not the agent or developer....its you the customer, and typically your will pay over the odds for said gold, laptop, motorbike etc.

can't believe so many folks just read the headline and become a keyboard warrior on "there is no 20 year visa". Read the damn article and it clearly says

" entitled to a 20-year visa, which amounts to five-year multiple-entry visa that is renewable every four years."

So its a 5 year visa, and they allow you to extend it 4 consecutive times with no extra charge (unless the extra charge is in the fine print). I really don't see whats so shady about this, its written clearly, all you need to figure out yourself is if its any cheaper to purchase this as a package deal or separate.

The Thailand Elite card has died, risen, died, and risen again and will soon die another horrible death since the Tourism Authority of Thailand is in charge of it. One of the biggest scams ever to hit Thailand. It wasn't a bad deal when Thaksin originally offered it - one million cards at one million baht apiece. At least with that card you could buy land. But, with the newer iterations, the benefits have dwindled. And, there is the disclaimer that it could go belly up at any time and no refunds will be issued.

"one property developer has joined forces with Thailand Elite"

Any government deal with an individual or single business without following a transparent and accountable procurement process is CORRUPTION.

The government should extend this benefit to ALL property developers to be fair and just. This deal gives as a minimum the APPEARANCE of special treatment with a developer who may be suffering from financial stress and willing to do ANYTHING to sell properties in a depressed market.

Welcome to Junta Failed Reform.

I already live here. It's definitely a never-ending string of rodeos. biggrin.png

living in Thailand for nearly 11 years i still have to encounter a rodeo.

The Thailand Elite card has died, risen, died, and risen again and will soon die another horrible death since the Tourism Authority of Thailand is in charge of it. One of the biggest scams ever to hit Thailand. It wasn't a bad deal when Thaksin originally offered it - one million cards at one million baht apiece. At least with that card you could buy land. But, with the newer iterations, the benefits have dwindled. And, there is the disclaimer that it could go belly up at any time and no refunds will be issued.

there was never any option to buy land!

can't believe so many folks just read the headline and become a keyboard warrior on "there is no 20 year visa". Read the damn article and it clearly says

" entitled to a 20-year visa, which amounts to five-year multiple-entry visa that is renewable every four years."

So its a 5 year visa, and they allow you to extend it 4 consecutive times with no extra charge (unless the extra charge is in the fine print). I really don't see whats so shady about this, its written clearly, all you need to figure out yourself is if its any cheaper to purchase this as a package deal or separate.

Nothing shady about a private company ''selling'' visas...nothing shady at all :rolleyes: