Suvarnabhumi has fastest airport Wi-Fi in the world, study finds

Jonathan Fairfield

Suvarnabhumi has fastest airport Wi-Fi in the world, study finds

Public WiFi & 3G/4G users have tested and evaluated the quality of WiFi in over 130 airports in 53 countries worldwide. 5 European, 2 American and 3 Asian airports have made to Top 10 list as fastest WiFi airports.

The collected data reveiled that Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Thailand provides the fastest average public WiFi download speed worldwide at 41.45 Mbps. Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (CHA) in Tennessee, USA comes second with 30.98 Mbps while the last place in top three leading positions is taken by Dublin Airport (DUB), Ireland with 19.45 Mbps.
Top 10 fastest WiFi Airports worldwide by download speeds, Mbps;
No. Airport Country Avg. download speed, Mbps
1 Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) Thailand 41.45
2 I Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (CHA) USA 30.98
3 Dublin Airport (DUB) Ireland 19.45
4 Vilnius International Airport (VNO) Lithuania 18.04
5 Helsinki Airport (HEL) Finland 17.46
6 Jl. Airport Ngurah Rai Indonesia 16.01
7 Kaohsiung International Airport (KHH/RCKH) Taiwan 15.55
8 Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN) Sweden 15.48
9 Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) USA 15.28
10 Frankfurt Airport (FRA) Germany 14.47
Data source: www.rottenwifi.com

Maybe because almost no one uses the AOT wifi. You have to show your passport and write all your personal details in a book kept at the airport information counter which can be read by the public in order to be given a password. In exchange for revealing all your personal ID details to AOT, all of its workers and the general public, you are given one whole hour of free internet access. I suspect AOT, however, was aware its internet speed was being tested and rigged the result, as I've never been able to get this speed even with a fibre-optic T1 line in Thailand.

Last time I was there and needed internet for flight plan changes. I ended up going up stairs to a shop and paying per minute for a connect.. Been a couple of years ago. Most places, LIKE REAL LIVE AIRPORTS, I have been to have wifi

access without any B.S. pass word, or connection charges.. Maybe the VIP lounges have all the WIFI perks, I dunno?

Looks like no-one bothered to check out Incheon airport in South Korea.

Always get a very good and fast signal there whereas at Swampy its usually better to buy a SIM card and use the 3G, which doesn't drop out all the time.

Maybe because almost no one uses the AOT wifi. You have to show your passport and write all your personal details in a book kept at the airport information counter which can be read by the public in order to be given a password. In exchange for revealing all your personal ID details to AOT, all of its workers and the general public, you are given one whole hour of free internet access. I suspect AOT, however, was aware its internet speed was being tested and rigged the result, as I've never been able to get this speed even with a fibre-optic T1 line in Thailand.

Totally agree with you it's a right pain....

Hong Kong airport, you just switch on, Agree to the terms and that's it .... How easy is that....

I don't want to get off topic---but I dont know why you would want to show your passport and write all your personal details ---or even pay at some airports-------I don't do a lot of hacking---(because I'm a computer thicky)-- but most people know the 4 letters when added onto the URL address at the airport which gives you free access. to wi-fi..........

I mean even Google tells you...........................coffee1.gif

In March, I tried to use internet in the business class lounge. Could not even get online - absolutely nothing - so could not get details of connection in Toronto. Lost my flight and all because BKK does not have the fastest internet at the airport, or any connection at all outside of the airport.

Travelers do not need fastest Wi- Fi but better service and more smiles To the tourist and not being hostile!

What are you talking about? Who is hostile to you in the airport? I fly very frequently and the check in people are not hostile, the security people are fine, the immigration people are fine, then when I get through and maybe get something to eat nobody is hostile to me there either. I even used an exchange booth and they just changed my money with no hostility.

Who is hostile? And where does this hostility come from? I'd love to hear your story.

''as I've never been able to get this speed even with a fibre-optic T1 line in Thailand.''

You get what you pay for...I pay for a 40Mb connection and I get it (Well actually 45+). In the countryside I also have fibre optic but only pay for a 10Mb connection and that is what I get. (I use CAT and True)