Making friends in thai village?

Matty64

I've been in Thailand for two months now and I'm here for another three to learn thai as My Thai mothers wants me to learn the language before I start Royal Navy training in September. My problem is I am completely bored during the day, I've found it hard to make friends. Everyone in the village knows who I am and the staring has calmed down a lot since I was one of the pah duengs in the rocket festival . My thai is ok haha but I couldn't keep up a proper conversation with the locals. It's not like I'm an unsociable person, I have plenty of friends back in the UK but it would be nice to maybe also have a girlfriend here. I wouldn't say I was unattractive and the girls wherever I go in Thailand seem to like me as I'm a stereotype of a "luk krueng", a lot of the girls stare and give me a smile but I just don't know how I would go about approaching them.

Sorry for this long winded question.

Any advice would be helpful really,

Cheers

Matty, just don't be shy.

Start asking the girls you fancy out.

Some will accept some will reject.

No problem, there are many of them around.

Good Luck to you and I want to see your next post telling us how happy you are after getting a g/f.thumbsup.gif

If you want to improve your thai maybe better to focus on the young and the elderly who tend to be more welcoming. Why do you start giving english lessons to kids in the village 3 x week for an hour after school...they will need to speak thai with you to learn english. Once you know the kids you can get to know parents etc.

I agree with all the advice above, but you should really study Thai, too. People will be very receptive to you speaking because 1) it's how they prefer to communicate, 2) you look like you can speak. People will engage with you in Thai, and that is so important when learning a language.

I don't know what your level is, but if you don't have basics of all the sounds down, review that with a teacher or online. Getting the basics is so important. If you've got the basics, then start learning vocabulary and interacting with people.

Learning a language is a bit of a pain in the ass, but there is tremendous reward if you put the time in. It's not rocket science, lots of dumb folks learn to speak quite well. You just gotta put in the time.

Didn't you mother warn you for Thai girls?

just because you had bad expiriences with thai girls in your past doesnt mean they or we are all the same. his mum i would think would rather have him marry a good old fashioned decent thai girl anyday .

post-216244-0-85741000-1434256813_thumb.

Get an interest .. I know its probably hard in the village..

Im finding owning a touring motorbike to be a great ice beaker, touring riders or guys with the same bike will come and speak to you at places, invite you to eat, hang out with them for the day. A guy at work shared a similar story how getting out on a bicycle with all your gear on, was a great way to integrate. He meets "gangs" of cyclists, rides with them for an hour or so and they exchange numbers and he gets calls all the time.

In Bangkok, I used to make Thai teachers at my school aware I liked to play badminton, and always someones relative would offer a game, some opportunities were dead ends, I also met some good friends, Badminton girls have a 50% chance of being hot too, and usually have good jobs and cars. Whatever you do in Thailand will always end in a meal.

Edited by recom273

I haven't a clue why you are asking on an expat forum if you are half Thai and have relative(I assume) that you are staying with.

Westerners that live in Thai villages usually don't meet girls by chatting them up and the normal ways one does in the West.

At least 90% meet their girlfriends in tourist area like Pattaya, Nana Plaza, etc.

I haven't a clue why you are asking on an expat forum if you are half Thai and have relative(I assume) that you are staying with.

Westerners that live in Thai villages usually don't meet girls by chatting them up and the normal ways one does in the West.

At least 90% meet their girlfriends in tourist area like Pattaya, Nana Plaza, etc.

Sorry bro, I didn't think it mattered who made a post on this forum as long as it was about Thailand ?

Cheers for all the helpful advice so far aswell guys

Didn't you mother warn you for Thai girls?

Haha what do you mean?

My Thai wife gave my 100% European son some serious warnings to stay clear of Thai girls when he moved in with us some years ago.

Her main worry was to rapidly end up in inflated sinsod negotiations with wishful parents.

On the serious side, you should realize that being half English you are an attractive catch and not always for the right reasons that lay at the beginning of long lasting relation.

i would think that your minor problems will soon be long forgotten

you didnt reveal where you a going to start your navy career but from the prefix of royal i think it would be in the uk ??

that being the case welcome to H.M.S.RALIEGH the new entry establishment

from now on you will forget how to think about I/ME give my regards to the master at arms

i dont know him personally but all masters are complete b*s*r*ds mine was

R.N. taught me to wash my socks a drink beer best of my tv buddy biggrin.png

Edited by gerry123

i would think that your minor problems will soon be long forgotten

you didnt reveal where you a going to start your navy career but from the prefix of royal i think it would be in the uk ??

that being the case welcome to H.M.S.RALIEGH the new entry establishment

from now on you will forget how to think about I/ME give my regards to the master at arms

i dont know him personally but all masters are complete b*s*r*ds mine was

R.N. taught me to wash my socks a drink beer best of my tv buddy biggrin.png

Haha cheers buddy, Yeh I start my basic at HMS Raleigh ?

why would ou want to enlist in one of the most evil forces the world has ever known? the royal navy started off as pirates like francis drake and walter raleigh.it then progressed into slavery and was responsible for the systematic torture,murder and kidnap of millions of Africans.It then helped to cause militarism in the build up to ww1.finally its recently been involved in unjust wars in the falklands,Iraq etc...but youve prob been in school in the UK where history is manipulated to leave out all the truth...sorry but i just dont understand why people join up nowadays in the modern world where we can find the truth if we want to..

why would ou want to enlist in one of the most evil forces the world has ever known? the royal navy started off as pirates like francis drake and walter raleigh.it then progressed into slavery and was responsible for the systematic torture,murder and kidnap of millions of Africans.It then helped to cause militarism in the build up to ww1.finally its recently been involved in unjust wars in the falklands,Iraq etc...but youve prob been in school in the UK where history is manipulated to leave out all the truth...sorry but i just dont understand why people join up nowadays in the modern world where we can find the truth if we want to..

Why would he be learning Thai before enlisting in the Royal Navy of the UK ? I thought he meant Royal Navy of Thailand.

Why would he be learning Thai before enlisting in the Royal Navy of the UK ? I thought he meant Royal Navy of Thailand.

I left sixth form early and have been working for my dads company until I join up but I came on holiday with my parents and my thai mum wants me to learn the thai language while I'm young and have time as I won't really get a chance when I'm in the navy

google search is NOT the truth!....sheesh...

Back on topic: if the OP can open a conversation in Thai, then that's all he needs with the young ladies. If they prattle off in machine-gun, semi-Lao, have the confidence to interrupt with a polite, "Sorry, say again?" (in Thai) and explain your limitations. You will have a lot of fun I am sure.... just don't miss your flight!

Back on topic: if the OP can open a conversation in Thai, then that's all he needs with the young ladies. If they prattle off in machine-gun, semi-Lao, have the confidence to interrupt with a polite, "Sorry, say again?" (in Thai) and explain your limitations. You will have a lot of fun I am sure.... just don't miss your flight!

That's one of the drawbacks of learning Thai in a village setting, depending on location most conversations in the village will be Laos, Khmen or Suay or some other, you have to tell them to speak Thai, for a real begginer it can be quite a challenge to hear if they have switched to Thai or not.

Go to the traditional massage places and get a massage and practice your Thai language skills while having a 1 or 2 hour massage.

3 things happen:

# 1: You get a massage

# 2: You meet girls........often enough they are pretty girls.

# 3: You can talk to the girls and make like it is a language exchange program while getting to know the girls.

Cheers

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

He is in Thailand about to do his Thai National Service in the Thai Navy.

Or did you fail to grasp what he said in his original post?

He is in Thailand about to do his Thai National Service in the Thai Navy.

Or did you fail to grasp what he said in his original post?

Read the OP's successive posts - I think it is you who may have the wrong end of the stick: he is indeed joining the Royal Navy (UK).