Tourism must avoid putting all eggs in one basket

Lite Beer

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Strategy must focus on diversification as excessive dependence on Chinese visitors could leave us vulnerable

If you drive around Bangkok and see an oversized bus, chances are it is shuttling Chinese tourists around from place to place.

In spite of complaints from local residents that these vehicles are clogging up some sois and streets, authorities are putting up with them because these tourists are bringing money into the country.

According to one estimate by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the country attracted 4.6 million Chinese visitors in 2014.

It has been predicted that arrivals from the mainland will grow by nearly 40 per cent this year. In other words, about one in five foreign visitors to the country are Chinese nationals.

Their growing arrivals are fuelled by expanding budget air routes that make the vacation that much more cheaper. But there is a downside to such arrangements as well.

Often referred to as "zero-tour", these dirt-cheap tour packages leave the Chinese visitors at the mercy of local operators who design a comprehensive travel plan.

Unlike Western tourists who, with Lonely Planet and various brochures, decide for themselves what to eat and where to shop, the tour package for the Chinese visitors is basically a done deal. That means the Chinese group tourists in the cheap package go where they are taken and buy the things that the operators put in front of them.

Sadly, much of our operators have this attitude that if the visitors don't know whether they are paying an inflated price to purchase items, or for shows and events planned for them, then it doesn't really matter.

Moreover, the spate of negative coverage of the behaviour of some Chinese tourists doesn't help the situation much. A temple in Chiang Rai shut its door to Chinese visitors for a day after some incidents, which local residents said were disrespectful.

Local operators, who cater to Chinese holidaymakers, were quick to point out the conduct of some Western visitors as well, as if it that was going to make the situation any better.

It goes without saying that those who benefit directly and handsomely will spin the issue their way. We're often reminded that it was the Chinese visitors who rescued the industry after a year and half of lull for the industry amid street protests that stretched from late 2013 to May 2015 when the government of Yingluck Shinawatra was ousted from power by a military coup.

Moreover, given the fact that the number of Russian visitors to Pattaya has declined sharply, the arrival of Chinese tourists is music to our ears - at least to some.

Nevertheless, the so-called "zero tour" strategy is not a sound practice and we need to seriously do a rethink, especially when one considers that tourism is a major contributor to our gross domestic product.

One can argue that the money we make from the Chinese visitors contributes greatly to the economy but sooner or later, the lack of diversification in visitors - not to mention a growing dependence on Chinese tourists - could come back and haunt us. One cannot overlook the possibility that economic growth in China could moderate further, which could translate into less outbound travel from the Middle Kingdom.

A MasterCard annual survey advised the industry not to put all its eggs in one basket.

Cities that receive tourists from multiple destinations are more "resilient". In other words, preparing for the rainy day requires Thailand to offer a wide range of attractions that appeal to a broad section of international visitors.

Besides diversification, there is also the issue of infrastructure. This goes beyond the crowded small sois in certain pockets of Bangkok.

"If we have got the infrastructure, the growth will come very, very quickly," said Matthew Driver, president of Southeast Asia for MasterCard.

Infrastructure implies sustainability that comes with long-term planning. This means we have to get back to the drawing board and get serious about long-delayed projects designed to improve Thailand's transport infrastructure.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Tourism-must-avoid-putting-all-eggs-in-one-basket-30262270.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-14

These big all inclusive tours of Chinese should be banned, or at the very least not included in tourist arrivals figures. One flea infested dreadlocked backpacker is worth a thousand of these tightwads that have no benefit whatsoever to Thai citizens unless they own King Power or the crap hotels/gem shops these sheep are ferried around between.

These big all inclusive tours of Chinese should be banned, or at the very least not included in tourist arrivals figures. One flea infested dreadlocked backpacker is worth a thousand of these tightwads that have no benefit whatsoever to Thai citizens unless they own King Power or the crap hotels/gem shops these sheep are ferried around between.

They fly in. They sleep somewhere. They eat something. They travel around the country. They buy gifts to bring back home.

All of that puts money into some locals' pockets. I'm sure their money is just as welcome as the backpackers' money.

In fact, the last time I stayed at my favorite hotel in Jomtien- (usually thick with Russians and Eastern Europeans), the place would have been empty and probably broke had it not been for the Chinese tour groups. And it isn't a cheap hotel.

Edited by impulse

I suspect that over time the Chinese tourists will become more sophisticated.

Back in the 60s people in British would go on package tours bought from a tour operator. This meant a limited range of hotels with restaurants serving food to British tastes and with customers who were mostly British. Now people are more likely to book a flight and hotel through the Internet and (if they want to) they can go to less tourist-y places. The Chinese will, in time, follow a similar progression.

The junta don't care about diversification, all they care about is bums on seats, despite the downside. Today's BP editorial shockingly reports that the DNP are about to give over a percentage of the nation's national parks to, wait for it, tourism. Brilliant. Busloads of Chinese, and locals, tearing up what's left of the Thailand's natural resources, complete with photo ops of what remains of the indigenous fauna. And this after the Big Show of tearing down resorts deemed to have encroached upon them in the first place.

Once again this junta are showing up their incompetence and any damned so called 'road map' is one which will deliver as much as possible to themselves.

"We're often reminded that it was the Chinese visitors who rescued the industry after a year and half of lull for the industry amid street protests that stretched from late 2013 to May 2015 blink.png when the government of Yingluck Shinawatra was ousted from power by a military coup."

My, how time passes unnoticed.

Those buses can be really awful. I live near Rangnam, and because King Power is must-stop for many Chinese tourists, Rangnam is just a traffic jam with those towering buses, even impressive by Bangkok standards. Rangnam is not a wide road...

Tourists from China will start to branch off on their own over time. They will become increasingly dissatisfied with the tour companies.

putting the eggs into the basket is what brings most male tourists to Thailand.

Fair enough, but hopefully not all the eggs are ending up in one and the same basket!!

(Just lost my appetite)

These monster-bus zombie-tours do so well because they play on the widespread Asian fear of being in just your own company for more than a few seconds. In-fact far more Thais are being driven around in these hideous machines than Chinese. Even westerners with their lonely planet will mostly travel the exact same route as the millions of 'adventurous' backpackers who went before them.

Nonsense!!

I am in the business, and slowly, slowly our numbers of Chinese visitors are increasing.

And the revenue they are creating, help me pay the salary to my Thai staff!!

And when you eventually learn, how to handle their sometimes odd behavior, they are actually quite a nice bunch.

Hope the Thai Tourist Minister learns from what happened in Hawaii in the 80's..Chinese

Groups all booked flights in China on China Airlines, stayed in Hotels, ate Upscale

Restaurants owned by Chinese in China. Used all the beaches, infrastructure emergency

Services and added very little money to the Hawaiian economy....two years later, all

Groups from China organized in China paid a premium of 40% for each visitor to

Enter Hawaii.....Finally added money to the local economy.

The younger Chinese already do. I have some good Chinese friends, that would never go on a group tour.

Back in the 60s people in British would go on package tours bought from a tour operator. This meant a limited range of hotels with restaurants serving food to British tastes and with customers who were mostly British. Now people are more likely to book a flight and hotel through the Internet and (if they want to) they can go to less tourist-y places. The Chinese will, in time, follow a similar progression.

Hope the Thai Tourist Minister learns from what happened in Hawaii in the 80's..Chinese

Groups all booked flights in China on China Airlines, stayed in Hotels, ate Upscale

Restaurants owned by Chinese in China. Used all the beaches, infrastructure emergency

Services and added very little money to the Hawaiian economy....two years later, all

Groups from China organized in China paid a premium of 40% for each visitor to

Enter Hawaii.....Finally added money to the local economy.

According to China National Tourism Administration (CNTA) statistics, China has become the world’s largest outbound tourism market. Chinese travelers are now the top source of tourism cash in the world, spending $129 billion in 2013, a 26% increase from 2012. As China’s travel market heats up, so will the competition. Today, the travel and retail industry in popular destinations worldwide is stepping up efforts to win the lucrative outbound Chinese traffic. - http://www.attractchina.com/blog/chineses-favorite-destinations/

" Improve TRANSPORT infrastructure " ? How about the streets/highways/rubbish everywhere.

public toilets, street gun battles, dirty beaches with no lifeguards, ( at least no REAL lifeguards),

poor handicapped facilities, boat operators tearing off limbs, and about 37 other areas that everyone,

not just tourists, want and, indeed,need ?

How about the streets/highways/rubbish everywhere.
public toilets, street gun battles, dirty beaches with no lifeguards, ( at least no REAL lifeguards),
poor handicapped facilities, boat operators tearing off limbs, and about 37 other areas that everyone,

Sadly, with the exception of deaths, your above list is not really important to the average Chinese tourist.

The vast majority (>90%) of guests at my small hotels in Phuket are Chinese. This is not my choice - the warning above about not putting all your eggs in one basket is sound business advice. Unfortunately, there are few other 'baskets' now in Phuket, because the numbers of Western tourists has decreased significantly over the years, (basically due to your list that I quoted above).

But my Chinese guests seem unconcerned about dirty beaches and streets - they are on a fast 'whistlestop photo tour' of Phuket and a dirty street probably reminds them of home.

" Improve TRANSPORT infrastructure " ? How about the streets/highways/rubbish everywhere.

Voice from China, "He was also surprised to see Paris streets littered with cigarette butts and trash.....

“I thought Europe would be a very clean place but I found that Paris is quite dirty and French people don’t really care about cleanliness,” Jiang said.

The advantage with Thailand is the Chinese people know the Thais really don't care about safety and cleanliness (it makes them feel at home) and the air is not as bad as China or the toilets as dirty.

Edited by lostoday

If one were to depend on making money from those eggs, a prudent business person would use some of the profits to keep the basket serviceable so eggs don't fall through rotted out bottom. To put it simply: put some of that money into cleaning up, improving infrastructure, education of staff, safety.... I could go on and on. Instead Thailand seems often to prefer egg on it's face...

How about the streets/highways/rubbish everywhere.

Sadly, with the exception of deaths, your above list is not really important to the average Chinese tourist.

The vast majority (>90%) of guests at my small hotels in Phuket are Chinese. This is not my choice - the warning above about not putting all your eggs in one basket is sound business advice. Unfortunately, there are few other 'baskets' now in Phuket, because the numbers of Western tourists has decreased significantly over the years, (basically due to your list that I quoted above).

But my Chinese guests seem unconcerned about dirty beaches and streets - they are on a fast 'whistlestop photo tour' of Phuket and a dirty street probably reminds them of home.

Never mind Simon,most of the 'dirty beaches' are now in Bangkok, soi 4 Nana and Cowboy.

I left swampy yesterday morning 1055 and yes there was hundreds of Chinese tourists in departures,scattered all over the place but hardly any duty free bags, or any other carry on bag to be seen either, certainly never saw any designer carry on luggage.

Voice from China, "He was also surprised to see Paris streets littered with cigarette butts and trash.....

I thought Europe would be a very clean place but I found that Paris is quite dirty and French people dont really care about cleanliness, Jiang said.

The advantage with Thailand is the Chinese people know the Thais really don't care about safety and cleanliness (it makes them feel at home) and the air is not as bad as China or the toilets as dirty.

France in General is quite dirty , ciggie butts everywhere, and just run down....but the French seem happy enough, and seem to think it's great ???

When the get open access to the internet, that is.