Gas - Burners & cooking

BEVUP

The plan

Is to build a BBQ from blocks - it shall have a 400 x 400(each) plate & grill (cast iron from Auss (Bunnings) )

Plan to put burners from Do Home under each section 400mm in circ with 200 mm flame (hopefully spreads a bit )

Went to Do Home (with open eyes ) & informed gas ok for plate, but not for grill as gas smells for food on grill

So this also brings me to the point where i read on another thread about different gases

so is the above true or i stick with the normal purchase of gas bottle from shop for all

if not are the burner valves compatable with a gas i need EG ; Auss & American BBQ (use what for open grills )

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt that the smell can be noticed in the food if the gas is burned.

But why do you want to use gas for BBQ? BBQ must be wood coal to be delicious....it is the good wood smoke that makes it taste good. On gas or electric you don't have that.

But why do you want to use gas for BBQ? BBQ must be wood coal to be delicious....it is the good wood smoke that makes it taste good. On gas or electric you don't have that.

because that's how Aussies BBQ.

No fun with coals in Thai heat. I use gas now and i really don't taste the differrence. Gas is much easyier and i can still smoke food if i want, there are smokeboxes for on gasstoves.

But also it's important that the grill can be adjusted in height, especially on coals. I bought a made in Thailand Nanotech high quality kitchen equipment stainless steel grill for 2500. It has 2 burners and electric ignition. 2 infrared gasburners covered by a glass plate so no grease can drip into the infrared burners. I have to admit it works pretty well for a year now. Good quality stainless steel and burners.

facepalm.gif

Attached pictures what is BBQ and what to do with gas (not BBQ). If not with coal or wood, the product loose 2/3 of its taste. Coal (made from wood) is an absolute must. I got told some countries want to ban that, but it is what humans do since discovery of fire. It is in our genetic that we love that smoky taste.

post-12692-0-73728800-1434336358_thumb.j

post-12692-0-81876300-1434336368_thumb.j

Edited by h90

No fun with coals in Thai heat. I use gas now and i really don't taste the differrence. Gas is much easyier and i can still smoke food if i want, there are smokeboxes for on gasstoves.

But also it's important that the grill can be adjusted in height, especially on coals. I bought a made in Thailand Nanotech high quality kitchen equipment stainless steel grill for 2500. It has 2 burners and electric ignition. 2 infrared gasburners covered by a glass plate so no grease can drip into the infrared burners. I have to admit it works pretty well for a year now. Good quality stainless steel and burners.

That is called cooking and usually done in kitchen. I am sorry for you if you can't taste the difference. Smokebox? Some artificial smoke?

BBQ and heat: yes it is hot and smelly, but it is worth the end product. Cold beer helps.

facepalm.gif

Attached pictures what is BBQ and what to do with gas (not BBQ). If not with coal or wood, the product loose 2/3 of its taste. Coal (made from wood) is an absolute must. I got told some countries want to ban that, but it is what humans do since discovery of fire. It is in our genetic that we love that smoky taste.

Had this debate many times, whats the point in "BBQing" or buying gas BBQ ?....just move your cooker from the kitchen to the garden if you wish, but don't call it a BBQ

your correct, wood or charcoal are the only proper BBQ's anything else is a fraud

Yes i know this has been discussed before

That is why i am checking on the gas side of things as i take info from Do Home & Ect lighty IE; Not know what type of gas they use in house

& i bought a charcoal one & plan to put it in front on the other side

The reason for gas is much easier & a good cast iron plate is for the Bacon , Eggs , Onion Ect

facepalm.gif

Had this debate many times, whats the point in "BBQing" or buying gas BBQ ?....just move your cooker from the kitchen to the garden if you wish, but don't call it a BBQ

your correct, wood or charcoal are the only proper BBQ's anything else is a fraud

We have 2 of these gas tanks with snap on kitchen like burners in the garden next to the charcoal BBQ. It comes handy if you cook/fry something additional to the BBQ. Or if make something that smells, so it smells and all the oil steam is in the garden and not in the house.

Now we almost only cook outside....but as you say that is moving the cooker from kitchen to the garden. Not BBQ.

to paraphrase a famous Aussie

That's not a BBQ this is a BBQ

attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

Good one!! I don't like this rolled sausage too much because it reminds me of something different, but else....this looks fantastic thumbsup.gif

The "rolled sausage" as you put it, is some of the best sausage on the planet, a toasted buttered roll, tomato and onion sauce and a big piece of "rolled sausage" nothing better my friend thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif

would that still be the case if one were to -make things complicated -gasify the wood or charcoal and use the gas produced to barbeque the food? similar to the gas used for lamps at one time

Good one!! I don't like this rolled sausage too much because it reminds me of something different, but else....this looks fantastic thumbsup.gif

The "rolled sausage" as you put it, is some of the best sausage on the planet, a toasted buttered roll, tomato and onion sauce and a big piece of "rolled sausage" nothing better my friend thumbsup.gif

I know I know.....Just I am not used to this form, it is not common in my country. Still I would eat it. Samples to convince me would be appreciated licklips.gif

facepalm.gif

would that still be the case if one were to -make things complicated -gasify the wood or charcoal and use the gas produced to barbeque the food? similar to the gas used for lamps at one time

Of course...Hitler made gas from coal and wood to fire gasoline engines. You could have a closed place with limited air supply where the coal burns partially. Or just heat it, collect the gas and burn it. How that would influence the taste: I think negative but technically it can be done.

For mass production you just heat it cheap and add smoke aroma....

I know I know.....Just I am not used to this form, it is not common in my country. Still I would eat it. Samples to convince me would be appreciated licklips.gif

very difficult to find in Thailand, the last I had came from the butchers in Tops ? (basement of central in Pattaya) he had a few kg's and I bought the lot, but all gone now ...biggrin.png

very difficult to find in Thailand, the last I had came from the butchers in Tops ? (basement of central in Pattaya) he had a few kg's and I bought the lot, but all gone now ...biggrin.png

I don't even buy bratwurst in Thailand because I am scared how it will taste. I already refuse 90 % of my home country bratwurst because lack of quality.

So I replace bratwurst with shrimp on the BBQ tongue.png. The pork remains the same.

I only need to work on my startup skills (the coal usually got a bit wet and nothing dry to start...)

They have great bratwurst in Tops Emporium. Very fine structure and allready smoked.

And for the ones who think cooking on a stove is the same as on a gasgrill : think again,

On the grill the meat gets directly grilled by the heat and infrared and on a stove you need a skillet. It's the same with doner kebab which is grilled electric by infrared these days.

Since i have a gasgrill i bbq much more. Just push the button and it burns, perfect. Always perfect temperature and never dirty hands from coals.

If i need smokeflavour i have it in a bottle. liquid smoke, i guess sizzlers also uses that.

As an American, this is my idea of a BBQ, LOL.

post-164212-0-12494900-1434391141_thumb.

post-164212-0-26967100-1434391165_thumb.

Actually mine is gas with another rack above the gas to hold lava rock which gets hot and does the cooking. On top of the rock I place hardwood chips that have been soaked in water and they produce the smoke. Charcoal is a method to have hot, slow burning wood but chips put out the same smoke flavor without the hard work. They actually sell the wood chips in grocery stores and home improvement stores.

post-164212-0-48446000-1434391632_thumb.

post-164212-0-39873300-1434391407_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

For smoking/slow cooking, I use a Little Chief Smoker. It has a hot plate in the bottom and a pan for the soaked wood chips and a thermostat like an oven. It takes several hours to smoke salmon or make jerky and the meat must be reasonably thin. I marinate the meat overnight in spices and then straight into the smoker.

When finished the meat is cooked and smoked. The smoke doesn't have to be there the whole time. About an hour is more than enough to give the flavor.

Edit. To either grill or smoke salmon the favorite recipe in these parts is to rub it all over with a mixture of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Awesome.

post-164212-0-36752600-1434391995_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

attachicon.gifimg59032710.jpgAs an American, this is my idea of a BBQ, LOL.

attachicon.gifhot-rod-bbq-2.jpg

attachicon.gifhot_rod_bbq_grill.jpg

Actually mine is gas with another rack above the gas to hold lava rock which gets hot and does the cooking. On top of the rock I place hardwood chips that have been soaked in water and they produce the smoke. Charcoal is a method to have hot, slow burning wood but chips put out the same smoke flavor without the hard work. They actually sell the wood chips in grocery stores and home improvement stores.

attachicon.gifimg59032710.jpg

attachicon.gifdsc_0120_w640.jpeg

Have you seen the lava rocks on sale anywhere?

Kurt

facepalm.gif

Of course...Hitler made gas from coal and wood to fire gasoline engines. You could have a closed place with limited air supply where the coal burns partially. Or just heat it, collect the gas and burn it. How that would influence the taste: I think negative but technically it can be done.

For mass production you just heat it cheap and add smoke aroma....

yes and England were using coal gas in lamps , however does it still a barbeque make? and if as you state above it does only aroma makes a difference, then all we are talking about is fuels and heating values of fuels

but these are not a real man's BBQ these are play play ones....thumbsup.gif

The obviously analogy, is when a short man or one with a small penis buys a big powerful car to over compensate for the short falls in other departments

Having a bling bling BBQ, doesn't mean the product produced is any better laugh.png

Are those lavastones longlasting on a gasgrill? I'm still planning to build my own bbq with lavastones but have never used them. For cleaning they are ideal i guess, all drippings just burn.

And are those lavastones the same ones i see for sale in the aquariumshops?

They have great bratwurst in Tops Emporium. Very fine structure and allready smoked.

And for the ones who think cooking on a stove is the same as on a gasgrill : think again,

On the grill the meat gets directly grilled by the heat and infrared and on a stove you need a skillet. It's the same with doner kebab which is grilled electric by infrared these days.

Since i have a gasgrill i bbq much more. Just push the button and it burns, perfect. Always perfect temperature and never dirty hands from coals.

If i need smokeflavour i have it in a bottle. liquid smoke, i guess sizzlers also uses that.

liquid smoke from some factory, vs. home made BBQsick.gif

And bratwurst is not supposed to have a very fine structure....It is an archaic food made by farmer

Are you sure you aren't over-thinking that? If you want it easy, you pour some gasoline over the coal, ignite it and come back 1 hour later. Everything burning stable....

post-146252-0-41584300-1434420313_thumb.post-146252-0-99357200-1434420336_thumb.This is a beauty....built from a gas bottle and works on Gas or coals.....with the lid on produces top pizzas.

I like the Coals better, for flavour.

Just need some good B-B-Q sausages....from Down Under. Getting tired of Shrimp on the Barbie.

liquid smoke tastes the same. I tried smoking with woodchips for many hours but that's nothing compared to liquid smoke.

For saucages i can eat the wiender cocktail saucages from CP, (the moo version) but the kurubota porksteaks (marinated frozen) are very good. Can go straight on the grill.

I just wished we had a bbq-shop in BKK, one who also sells marinated skewers, sauces, salads and it should be along a highway. So i can make a quick stop there, drive home, light my grill with the button and have dinner. Thai all like to bbq but they are no good with meat.

liquid smoke tastes the same. I tried smoking with woodchips for many hours but that's nothing compared to liquid smoke.

For saucages i can eat the wiender cocktail saucages from CP, (the moo version) but the kurubota porksteaks (marinated frozen) are very good. Can go straight on the grill.

I just wished we had a bbq-shop in BKK, one who also sells marinated skewers, sauces, salads and it should be along a highway. So i can make a quick stop there, drive home, light my grill with the button and have dinner. Thai all like to bbq but they are no good with meat.

CP sausage

marinated frozen pork"steaks"

liquid smoke

facepalm.gif