The secret lives of Thailand's counterfeiters

webfact

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

What prompts you to write such derogatory rubbish?

Hmm how about yor samsung phone or tv?

How much Thai know-how went into making those? facepalm.gif Thailand provides cheap labor to make things that were invented in the West using machines and techniques that were invented in the West for factory owners from the West.

Who said anything about know-how? Certainly not you Mr Neversure, and I quote "merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is about counterfeit goods we are going off topic.

Fact is that all quality copy goods are made abroad. Watches come from Taiwan and Hong Kong, clothings and accessory come from Vietnam.

What the Thais make can be found on the Friday markets and is called Levies and Amani, which are poor quality with wrong sizes and designs, and those spelling mistakes are not made deliberately by the counterfeiters.

Levi's made in Thailand are better and cheaper than those you get in Europe.

Not counterfeits, merely unauthorized copies. A counterfeit only has value if it fools someone into thinking it is the real thing. The purchasers of knock-off products like those listed do not believe they are genuine. Overwhelmingly, they are not people who would pony up to buy genuine if the copy were not available. Therefore, the holder of the trademark suffers no loss at all from the sale of unauthorized copies and it should not be illegal. Louis Vuitton once admitted that unauthorized copies do not result in lost sales for them.

Louis Vuitton if he exists should thank all the people that bought his over priced merchandise. Whats in a name anyways. If the counterfeit item does not fool the buyer let it be so. Buyer beware. Well must grab my Gucci wallet and be off shopping. I am looking for a pair of designer shoes to replace my aging Nike's. Ops better put on my old Levi's with the holes in them (they come ready made this way) and also my Marco Polo shirt. Did dear old Marco make a shirt way back when?

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

How much Thai know-how went into making those? facepalm.gif Thailand provides cheap labor to make things that were invented in the West using machines and techniques that were invented in the West for factory owners from the West.

The key word being cheap labor. Then sell it in the West for full price. Keeps the share holders happy.

What a horrible thing to say about Thai people.

What sort of person are you?

TL

"no Thai is able to produce something of quality."true, cars and motorcycles are produced by Japanese in Thailand, using Thai manual workers.

In all probability Al the plants here assembly plants with all the parts coming from the parent company to get round the import laws. Why do you think Nissan, Honda and Toyota opened plants in the UK, in general assembly plants to get round the EU import laws.

All countries, no exeptions, have high quality labor and products, most for exports, and cannot not be purchased locally.

Many high quality products made in Thailand selling around the world, shows brand names and labels showing different place of production, by special agreements. Ceramics and sterling silver aparells are a good example, like the ones selling in AKIA.

Shoes from Italy, are another example. Most are made in Brazil.

European leather apparels?, most from Argentina.

American cars????...all made in many other countries, some assambled in the US.

Zwiss made watches???... only very few, and some declared copies are amaizingly perfect.

Quality of labor not depends anymore of origen or citizenship. Trainning and control is the key.

I know, I hate these foreigners who live here and hate Thai people, they are such creeps and i can never understand why they're here, it's like a kukluxklans man living in harlem.

TL

Edited by pkspeaker

TL

I'm the sort of person that has abandoned his rose colored goggles.

I know, I hate these foreigners who live here and hate Thai people, they are such creeps and i can never understand why they're here, it's like a kukluxklans man living in harlem.

TL

Those are the people that thought they could externalize all manual labour to other races or foreign countries and become upper-class by doing only "while collar jobs". Now they're beginning to see that this might have been a miscalculation. Those coloured people who were meant to be peasants and blue-collar workers can and will learn things like management and administration, so they start to regard them as an attack to their privileges. Edited by micmichd

If you include Japan in the "West" then I agree ;-)

TL

Those are the people that thought they could externalize all manual labour to other races or foreign countries and become upper-class by doing only "while collar jobs". Now they're beginning to see that this might have been a miscalculation. Those coloured people who were meant to be peasants and blue-collar workers can and will learn things like management and administration, so they start to regard them as an attack to their privileges.

yes... doing any kind of work already seems pretty low class nowadays...

You don't want to say that Japan is a country which is high on the list of inventors, do you?

Japan is known take copy inventions from the west and improve them, but that doesn't make them inventors really.

So they weren't made by Thais? Who did make them then?

The Chinese did you dumb troll

die

Don't worry, in recent statistics Japan is not counted as part of Asia and Pacific region anymore.

"What the Thais make can be found on the Friday markets and is called Levies and Amani, which are poor quality with wrong sizes and designs"

Yeah, I bought some cheap Levi 501 jeans copy in BKK for $4. The zipper kept coming down. Had to toss them in the rubbish bin, 555

You don't want to say that Japan is a country which is high on the list of inventors, do you?

Japan is known take copy inventions from the west and improve them, but that doesn't make them inventors really.

I'm talking about invested funds, know-how, technology and machines, as NeverSure mentioned in his post.

Regarding inventions, Japan is worldwide third for patents, behind the USA and Germany.

The "copy and improve" myth was true in Japan's post-war industrial expansion, but not anymore since the 90ies.

Most things produced here in thailand of any real quality are from japanese-korean owned companys, the knowhow and technology is not thai, the reason they are here is for cheap thai labor,

These same companies can up root in a heart beat to any country where the labor is cheaper and or politically more stable as many have done in the past,

Quality pure thai products seem almost impossible to find, i have tried a few but most broke after a few days or did,nt actually work out the box,

Does thailand even produce a thai developed car?, products from japanese factories or tuk tuks not included

Actually they do - cop the sweet curves on this Thai designed car....

http://www.thairung.co.th/en/tr_tranformer.php

Thairung is an Isuzu with modified body work. Isuzu isn't Thai

Credit where credit is due surely. Thairung have taken a Japanese vehicle and improved it with their world beating design team to give it a new aerodynamic profile to improve performance similar to what AMG do for Mercedes and Alpina for BMW.

Are you sarcastic???

May I ask, what is your point exactly?

Thailand is an agrarian society with relatively low levels of education entering the industrialized age.

Is this a dark secret to you?

Has someone claimed otherwise?

Why do you go out of your way to be such a (fill in the blank, many to choose from) ?

Here is a thought ... if Thaiand is so offensive for you, I wold be happy to pay your taxi to the airport, provided you never come back.

Now, many will jump on that statement .. and yes ... we get tired of saying it .. but what village idiot stays in a country they hate?

"What the Thais make can be found on the Friday markets and is called Levies and Amani, which are poor quality with wrong sizes and designs"

Yeah, I bought some cheap Levi 501 jeans copy in BKK for $4. The zipper kept coming down. Had to toss them in the rubbish bin, 555

Levi 501 come with buttons, not zippers, but never mind.

They've got good Levi Jeans for 1,900 THB or less in department stores in BKK. They're a perfect fit for me because my body is Thai shape. And they're half of what I'd had to pay in Europe - for Levi's that don't fit at all.

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

Toyota HiLux, Kawasaki ER-6, Honda PCX for a few. Why do you ask 2 dogs?

Hahaahh those are all Japanese hahahahhah not even a close try

Levi 501 come with buttons, not zippers, but never mind.

They've got good Levi Jeans for 1,900 THB or less in department stores in BKK. They're a perfect fit for me because my body is Thai shape. And they're half of what I'd had to pay in Europe - for Levi's that don't fit at all.

It was a copy of Levis, not the real thing. What makes you think the Thais would be able to get a detail, like button flycorrect?

BTW, Levi does make a zipper fly version of the 501

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/cassettepunch/item/levis-50154-0035/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

I'm talking about invested funds, know-how, technology and machines, as NeverSure mentioned in his post.

Regarding inventions, Japan is worldwide third for patents, behind the USA and Germany.

The "copy and improve" myth was true in Japan's post-war industrial expansion, but not anymore since the 90ies.

What does Japan have a patent on that is world changing? Medicine? The jet engine? Computer, TV, radio, telephone, smartphone, software, internet...

These are the type of things that propelled some countries, and left others working for them. Some of it is historically recent such as the digital age with the internet, cell phone, smartphone, etc. etc.

Part of it is cultural and part is education. They go together. Now it's too late for Thailand to catch up unless it imports teachers and trainers from the West. The world has gotten too complicated and most knowledge is in English, and developed by English speaking people. You can't teach what you don't know.

I just got an email from a buddy. Here's part of what he said. The Commodore 64 came out in 1981 - as recently as that but things change so fast I didn't know anyone would still use that old 8 bit machine.

"I am watching TV now and a seg on a 84 Commodore that has run a school heating system, etc for over 19 years made me think of you. If you don’t watch KDOV TV, you might want to tune in and watch their programming starting at 7 or before. You can get it online, or watch it on Roku (which we do in Maui) live. Good programming. You would enjoy."

I've got 12 year old American kids writing computer code in programming languages while Thai kids aren't really interested in any other language much less a programming language.

if we are talking knock-offs of original products than very few are made in Thailand ,

Maybe clothes ,shoes and handbags as there are already Thai sweatshops / factories already making these ,

But the "SORY" radios etc are made cheaply in China.

Then there is the all the clothes and other things with a Famous name on them just to sell them,

All the Ferrari shirts and Jackets and things like that , if this is what "counterfeiters" make it really just name branding on a cheaply made product , something Ferrari would never sell

the scary thing is the guys making cheap products in name brand boxes , wheel bearings , hospital equipment , airplane parts, perscription drugs etc that when it fails people could die.

Good Luck getting rid of all of them.....

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

Toyota HiLux, Kawasaki ER-6, Honda PCX for a few. Why do you ask 2 dogs?

Hahaahh those are all Japanese hahahahhah not even a close try

The parent companies are Japanese. not worth wasting my time dealing with you so I did the first example only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Thailand

Made by a Thai company, with mainly Thai executives, in Thailand, by Thai workers. The vehicle design is Japanese, based on an Australian vehicle variant and using an engine conceived in Germany.