Any alternative to this 4k Samsung 65" screen?

cyberholz

1. It is not Samsung.

2. It is LG.

3. Unless your boss has special source there is virtually nothing available for 4HD - and at the rate of advancement there may never be as it will likely bit the dust before anyone buys enough to make it worthwhile. Advancement is ongoing and next HD standard is likely to be even higher.

4. If UHD is wanted, and at the largest sizes it seems to be standard for current models, does he really need 3D? That seems to increase the price quite a bit for something most people never use a second time.

First of all, you don't get an ultra thin panel and good sound together (well, unless you pay a lot more and get one of the flagship LG's with the Harman Kardon audio)...

As you're buying 10 units, the question becomes: what's the usage? I'm guessing it's probably not a domestic house, so might have audio requirements well above what any domestic flat panel is capable of.

Also:

What's the reasoning behind 65" size? (you can get a 79" 2014 model for similar money)

What's the reasoning behind wanting a curved screen? (that gimmick makes 3D look legit, LOL) Curved displays only make sense for computer monitors (close range viewing), or really large screens, like the LG 105".

Don't worry so much about the debate between 1080P and UHD - the fact is, you have to buy UHD if you want the best picture quality (even forgetting about pixel count) - OLED, quantum dot, multizone local dimming, wide color gamut, and high dynamic range are all picture quality enhancements you just can't get in a 1080P panel wink.png

lopburi3 makes a very valid point about 3D - if it's not needed, there are sometimes similar spec models at a cheaper price without the feature, but that's only in the low end. If shopping in high end displays, you're going to get it whether you want it or not...

Once we get closer to understanding the requirements, and models that fulfil them, we can then move onto how to buy - no retailer is going to have the stock ;)

Edited by IMHO

I also question the curved screen 'gimmick'. I was discussing this with my daughter who works for HP and they are bringing out out curved monitors. She said in engineering presentations she has seen the physics all seem to justify curvature for anything up to 4ft from the screen. After that it actually limits optimal viewing position.

4K itself, well there is no content yet as recent news topic have pointed out frame rates are changing and the current 4K units will need an add on (if possible). Hard to tell at this early stage where the specs will actually settle and what content will actually be available on what platform. I'd say buy a decent large screen 1080p at considerably lower price and wait until the dust settles...and buy a flat one!

Edited by GinBoy2

I also question the curved screen 'gimmick'. I was discussing this with my daughter who works for HP and they are bringing out out curved monitors. She said in engineering presentations she has seen the physics all seem to justify curvature for anything up to 4ft from the screen. After that it actually limits optimal viewing position.

4K itself, well there is no content yet as recent news topic have pointed out frame rates are changing and the current 4K units will need an add on (if possible). Hard to tell at this early stage where the specs will actually settle and what content will actually be available on what platform. I'd say buy a decent large screen 1080p at considerably lower price and wait until the dust settles...and buy a flat one!

I have a 21:9 ultra wide curved monitor, and can vouch for 1) yes, it's better than a flat screen for desktop computing, but it's not game-changing, and 2) it makes no difference whatsoever if you're not sitting at the desk - other than the physical wow factor of "your screen is curved!" smile.png

The framerates aren't changing, LOL - that was just an interview with an engineer performing tests that will never be a broadcast reality... 60fps (real, not interpolated) is plenty for any type of action - just ask any gamer smile.png The best source we're going to see for UHD screens is UHD bluray, and it's specs are already locked down... So we do know what these screens need to do.

post-163537-0-22230000-1434497865_thumb.

Edited by IMHO

post-163537-0-22230000-1434497865_thumb.

Ah, now I know where your warped view of the world comes from.

LOL

B4k seems ridiculously CHEAP!

I paid about B50k for a 50"? (Samsung)

I paid B12k for 29".

This one I don't know whether to LOL or not - not sure if you're being sarcastic or dumb :D

With the quality of programs, I would not be spending a motsa. No, I do not download & ?torrents etc - just watch TrueVisions & CTH.

We bought 55" x 2 & 40" x 3.

Once one goes over 55", the price seems to escalate exponentially.