Former MP fears police have 'hidden agenda' on Thaksin

webfact

Former MP fears police have 'hidden agenda' on Thaksin
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- FORMER Democrat MP Watchara Petthong complained yesterday about slow progress on the move to strip ousted and fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra of his rank as a lieutenant-colonel in the police. He said he feared national police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang may have a hidden agenda.

"It is clear who has the hidden agenda, being evasive [when asked about this issue] ... What kind of intention [do you have]? In fact, there are people who ask [the police chief] to follow the law as he always does," Watchara said.

The former MP said a majority of members of the Council of State - the top legal advisory body - had already affirmed twice that the National police had the power to directly strip Thaksin of his police rank.

Watchara said: "It shows that Thaksin has the power over national police and the Thai judicial system. He commits wrongs with impunity and does not have to face a jail term. He is still free and continues to defame important national institutions from abroad. He breaches the law and his police rank is not revoked. Where is justice?"

He said it was clear that country's problems lay in Thaksin's regime, which wanted to be above the Thai judicial process.

"The prime minister and head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) General Prayut Chan-o-cha should call the head of national police for a session of attitude adjustment," said Watchara, referring to the summons issued by the junta after the coup last year. If the latter failed to show, it would affect the reputation of the NCPO, as people could perceive [the outcome] as a compromise with Thaksin, he warned.

Watchara said he would petition the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), if there was no progress.

The law had to be respected and those who commit wrong should be brought to justice, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Former-MP-fears-police-have-hidden-agenda-on-Thaks-30262494.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-17

"It shows that Thaksin has the power over national police and the Thai judicial system."

And this is why reform of the police is needed. No convicted criminal fugitive should have control of the very police force that should be arresting him.

Whether a thaksin fan or not, it was not appropriate to have a photo of him pinning the insignia on the chief of police hanging up in the police head quarters which was witnessed a few years ago. What message does that send to new recruits that have sworn to protect the public and arrest criminals. It also sends a message to the courts that their verdicts are not respected by the police. It also reflects a lack of respect for democracy. The list goes on. AND when told to take it down they needed to have an inquiry to investigate whether the photo hanging up in the office was appropriate or not! Seriously?

Rotton to the core they are.

They're not ' too slow' to strip Thaksin of his useless and shameful rank, the police big wigs

are simply too busy chasing trying to catch their own crooked high ranking boses smuggling

and dealing drugs and anything with huge profits, that's if they don't already involve in these

illicit activities themselves, so Thaksin business has no money in it, only headaches, and so

the work on it is being pushed aside....

"He said it was clear that country's problems lay in Thaksin's regime,...."

Not from what I have been hearing from many politically engaged Thai's, who speak knowledgeable about the positive improvements pre and post Thaksin. Not only have they been proven to be the electoral majority, but back up their assertions with myriad, specific examples clearly demonstrating the improvements. They are not just generalizing. Democratic elections have affirmed them. In fact the Political improvements Thaksin achieved, should be a lesson to politicians of all stripes, causing them to reflect on what they could do and also be recognized by the electoral majority as such. I have not seen any Politician achieve that strength of legacy.

Unless of course the anti- democracy/Thaksin crowd continue their self-serving nonsense that he in fact bought millions of votes......nonsensical to the extreme. Policy, not money has been behind his electoral achievements. Anyone suggesting otherwise is ostriching for self-serving political purposes.

In the above quote, this individual is confusing the anti-democrats electoral futility with the 'country's problems. But that is not unusual for the Bangkok-centric elite....They are not the country, but think they are..Far from it. They are merely one side of the political divide, and elections have shown them to be in the minority. Their electoral frustrations are of their own making. Blaming others and self-aggrandizingly suggesting their problems are "the country's" problems is ridiculous.

Some have identified these people as being Thaksin-haters. As attributing their electoral futility to him alone, instead of adapting their electoral appeal to where the votes are. The majority votes.

In this case, I am reminded of Taylor Swift’s song “Shake It Off” (“The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate . . . I shake it off”)....In other words, get over it. Appreciate that Democratic practices treat everyone the same. If Thaksin was able to align his electoral appeal to the majority, so can they....But that means parking their arrogance at the electoral door, and respect those who may differ, accept the electoral majority as friend rather than foe and consider Political debate as debate, not conflict.

Edited by Bannum opinions

If the honourable gentleman felt so strongly about it, why did he not raise it as a point to consider when they were in Govt 3 years ago.......

Four years ago, not three, but who's counting ?

The basic point is that people continue to act as though they were somehow afraid of a comeback, followed by retaliation, the chief policeman's current apparent desire to pass-on the 'hot potato' rather than take long-overdue action being another good example.

What does that say, about how Thai officials & politicians view the former-PM ? whistling.gif

if Thaksin was found guilty by a Thai court of law and went into exile then why have not the police contacted Interpol and issued an arrest warrant

If this was done a few years back then all this would be over with

have him extradited to face the courts again

If the honourable gentleman felt so strongly about it, why did he not raise it as a point to consider when they were in Govt 3 years ago.......

Four years ago, not three, but who's counting ?

The basic point is that people continue to act as though they were somehow afraid of a comeback, followed by retaliation, the chief policeman's current apparent desire to pass-on the 'hot potato' rather than take long-overdue action being another good example.

What does that say, about how Thai officials & politicians view the former-PM ? whistling.gif

Its not fear of a comeback, its the basic rule of 'don't bite the hand that feeds you.'

Big T and the Shins have always endorsed corruption in all its forms. This new way of working - no corruption - is impossible for them to compute.

The followers and hangers-on find it difficult to adjust that's all.

if Thaksin was found guilty by a Thai court of law and went into exile then why have not the police contacted Interpol and issued an arrest warrant

Because they know Interpol won't take any action against a politician who acheived office through election and who is sought by a military junta who took power in a coup. Hard to stomach for some I know but there we are. Edited by JAG

Because they know Interpol won't take any action against a politician who acheived office through election and who is sought by a military junta who took power in a coup. Hard to stomach for some I know but there we are.

Interesting opinion, apparently based on "elected criminal good, military junta bad" and ignoring that neither the offence or the conviction had anything to do with the current administration. IMHO any attempt at extradition should be based on the outstanding charges rather than the conviction, as they are much more indicative of the levels of corruption he managed.

Because they know Interpol won't take any action against a politician who acheived office through election and who is sought by a military junta who took power in a coup. Hard to stomach for some I know but there we are.

Interesting opinion, apparently based on "elected criminal good, military junta bad" and ignoring that neither the offence or the conviction had anything to do with the current administration. IMHO any attempt at extradition should be based on the outstanding charges rather than the conviction, as they are much more indicative of the levels of corruption he managed.

Well I didn't offer an option on the relative merits of the two regimes, just pointed out how they came about, and therefore how extradition would be regarded.

Well I didn't offer an option on the relative merits of the two regimes, just pointed out how they came about, and therefore how extradition would be regarded.

No what you are saying is that Interpol will take that attitude. In my experience, honest police have a naturally very low regard for criminals, and even more so for those who use their status to escape punishment.

Edited to add "honest" so that Interpol and the BIB will not be confused.

Edited by halloween

Maybe someone can correct me, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Interpol only get involved in crimes of a certain type / level. Could it be that Thaksin's crime not 'big' enough to qualify?

Halloween, I know that we probably have diametrically opposed views on Thaksin and the merits of his conviction, but Interpol will not pursue an arrest warrant, " if it violates Article 3 of the INTERPOL Constitution, which forbids the Organization from undertaking any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character."

Requests from a military junta to arrest a formerly elected prime minister will probably be regarded by any democratic government,, and argued against in their courts, as violating that article. I'm sure that the current Thai government realizes that, and is therefore not prepared to lose face by pushing the issue. That I think is the political reality, irrespective of our varying views on Thaksin.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Interpol only get involved in crimes of a certain type / level. Could it be that Thaksin's crime not 'big' enough to qualify?

If a member country completes the necessary formalities and procedures Interpol will react to that request and issue appropriate communications to law enforcement in all member countries. They do not try and re-decide on convictions or sentencing. Not their business.

If Thailand did this Thaksin would be arrested as a convicted criminal fugitive and someone with outstanding warrants for non appearance in court to answer charges (15 cases I think are outstanding). The courts in the country where he was arrested would then have to decide if the Thai request for extradition was lawful under their own laws and procedures.

The fact that Interpol haven't acted and a country has not considered extradition is because Thailand has not formally requested it and followed the procedures to initiate it.

Halloween, I know that we probably have diametrically opposed views on Thaksin and the merits of his conviction, but Interpol will not pursue an arrest warrant, " if it violates Article 3 of the INTERPOL Constitution, which forbids the Organization from undertaking any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character."

Requests from a military junta to arrest a formerly elected prime minister will probably be regarded by any democratic government,, and argued against in their courts, as violating that article. I'm sure that the current Thai government realizes that, and is therefore not prepared to lose face by pushing the issue. That I think is the political reality, irrespective of our varying views on Thaksin.

His crime was a criminal offence. Not political. As, I believe are most of, if not all, of the 15 cases waiting in the courts for his return. They could ask for Interpol action on his conviction or any number of the other court cases.

Thaksin of course claims every thing he ever did was innocent and legal and that anyone who says different is politically motivated. If pushed, his PR team normally fall back on the old, everyone one else did it so why pick on him defense,

He was a former PM at the time of his conviction, having dissolved parliament and resigned his position a caretaker PM. He never appealed the decision and chose to jump bail and flee before sentencing. The other 15 cases can't be pursued until he is returned.

If Thailand really wanted him back to face all these charges, and possibly more that might come to light following the PTP regime. they would have a very good chance of succeeding. But, they don't seem to want to.

Perhaps putting Thaksin on trial might open up too many cans of worms. Same as putting Abhisit and Suthep on trial - some must now be worrying what might come out.

I don't mind if you think Thaksin is the best thing since sliced bread and the most innocent politician since Joan of Arc. That's up to you. But, you won't convince many on here who lived through his years of that.

Not from what I have been hearing from many politically engaged Thai's, who speak knowledgeable about the positive improvements pre and post Thaksin. Not only have they been proven to be the electoral majority, but back up their assertions with myriad, specific examples clearly demonstrating the improvements. They are not just generalizing. Democratic elections have affirmed them. In fact the Political improvements Thaksin achieved, should be a lesson to politicians of all stripes, causing them to reflect on what they could do and also be recognized by the electoral majority as such. I have not seen any Politician achieve that strength of legacy.

Unless of course the anti- democracy/Thaksin crowd continue their self-serving nonsense that he in fact bought millions of votes......nonsensical to the extreme. Policy, not money has been behind his electoral achievements. Anyone suggesting otherwise is ostriching for self-serving political purposes.

In the above quote, this individual is confusing the anti-democrats electoral futility with the 'country's problems. But that is not unusual for the Bangkok-centric elite....They are not the country, but think they are..Far from it. They are merely one side of the political divide, and elections have shown them to be in the minority. Their electoral frustrations are of their own making. Blaming others and self-aggrandizingly suggesting their problems are "the country's" problems is ridiculous.

Some have identified these people as being Thaksin-haters. As attributing their electoral futility to him alone, instead of adapting their electoral appeal to where the votes are. The majority votes.

In this case, I am reminded of Taylor Swift’s song “Shake It Off” (“The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate . . . I shake it off”)....In other words, get over it. Appreciate that Democratic practices treat everyone the same. If Thaksin was able to align his electoral appeal to the majority, so can they....But that means parking their arrogance at the electoral door, and respect those who may differ, accept the electoral majority as friend rather than foe and consider Political debate as debate, not conflict.

And they've been proven to break laws and lie too.

Anyone who tries linking opposition to a convicted non elected criminal owning and controlling a government with being anti-democratic has no understanding of real democracy.

Carry on presenting him as a champion of democracy if your're so deluded.

His crime was a criminal offence. Not political. As, I believe are most of, if not all, of the 15 cases waiting in the courts for his return. They could ask for Interpol action on his conviction or any number of the other court cases.

Thaksin of course claims every thing he ever did was innocent and legal and that anyone who says different is politically motivated. If pushed, his PR team normally fall back on the old, everyone one else did it so why pick on him defense,

He was a former PM at the time of his conviction, having dissolved parliament and resigned his position a caretaker PM. He never appealed the decision and chose to jump bail and flee before sentencing. The other 15 cases can't be pursued until he is returned.

If Thailand really wanted him back to face all these charges, and possibly more that might come to light following the PTP regime. they would have a very good chance of succeeding. But, they don't seem to want to.

Perhaps putting Thaksin on trial might open up too many cans of worms. Same as putting Abhisit and Suthep on trial - some must now be worrying what might come out.

I don't mind if you think Thaksin is the best thing since sliced bread and the most innocent politician since Joan of Arc. That's up to you. But, you won't convince many on here who lived through his years of that.

For goodness sake, I did not express an opinion on whether Thaksin was innocent, or anything of the sort. I merely pointed out that Interpol would be unlikely to ask for his arrest because such action would likely be regarded as being contrary to their charter. That is all.

He may have had an irrational fear of being killed or maimed by grenades, gunfire, arson or tainted blood. Possibly he was just concerned about having his driveway blocked by a brick wall or burning coffins. Amazing how some people have forgotten about the intimidation tactics of Thaksins personal red shirt army.

In this case, I am reminded of Taylor Swifts song Shake It Off (The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate . . . I shake it off)....In other words, get over it. Appreciate that Democratic practices treat everyone the same. If Thaksin was able to align his electoral appeal to the majority, so can they....But that means parking their arrogance at the electoral door, and respect those who may differ, accept the electoral majority as friend rather than foe and consider Political debate as debate, not conflict.

Anyone who tries linking opposition to a convicted non elected criminal owning and controlling a government with being anti-democratic has no understanding of real democracy.

Thaksin is no more a champion of democracy than Prayuth is.

What a joke.

It's quite clear this government wants to squash Thaksin into a quivering mass of pulp, then watch all the blood drain away down the nearest sewer grate and then cremate the leftovers.

Nothing hidden; clear as a pane of glass.

And there I was scanning thru the postings thinking that a certain deluded person was going to rightfully be ignored by everyone - and then I see you have let the side down - naughty boy, please stand in the corner until told to stop.

Edited by Artisi