Korean satire of Thai monks upsets Thais

webfact

Korean satire of Thai monks upsets Thais (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

tvn.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai hearts fell into shadow this week when the same country responsible for their beloved K-Pop made fun of Thai Buddhist monks on a comedy show.

In a recently broadcast comedy sketch, South Korean comedians made fun of Thais as hyper-religious and Korea-obsessed by taking the stage as Buddhist monks in a sketch widely criticized by Thai netizens after it was posted online.

The monks are presented as dim boobs mindlessly wai-ing their way across the stage, but when the Korean hosts greet them with “Sawasdee Krub” and “Kob Khun Krub,” the monks reply in perfect Korean because, according to unofficial translations, they are K-Pop superfans... [read more here]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/06/18/korean-satire-thai-monks-upsets-thais-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-06-18

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great ! Thais using the Swastika and Hitler images everywhere is OK, but oh my if somebody make a joke about the Thai monks, with their Louis Vuitton hand bags and private jets ....

seems that thais are unable to accept the truth about anything if they are upset with this. While there are some good monks around there are also a lot od bad ones, just look at all the fraud/corruption they get involved in, drinking, doing drugs, sex parties etc, they are leaving themselves open to constant ridicule. Way past time the offenders were arrested and charged. being a monk should not make them untouchable especially when they are involved in crime etc.

"One Thai commentator pointed out that the freedom of the expression didn’t make it any less stupid.

"They are such a civilized country, but why are they so intellectually challenged?" Pharnupong Deva-auksorn wrote."

Hmm.....

"One Thai commentator pointed out that the freedom of the expression didn’t make it any less stupid.

"They are such a civilized country, but why are they so intellectually challenged?" Pharnupong Deva-auksorn wrote."

Hmm.....

Considering the high brow level of Thai TV.....lol

Hmm.....

While sipping a glass of Chateau Margaux watching a Thai guy beat the hell out of his girlfriend on a Thai soap.

Thais are led to believe the Governments powers are universal ...that other countries co-operate and respect them.

Life of Brian moments for Thailand is healthy.

I hear people yell ""hey you Farang"" often .....

They think Shell petrol and Nescafé , and ponds cream are Thai inventions and part of their stuff.

That rain making schemes are their invention ...

That their religious institutions are beyond reproach.

That freedom of speech is wrong.

Homage and the principle that all men are not equal.

Nightly TV plays people kneeling and crawling in respect of their higher s.

Until that is challenged Thailand will be a servant /master country.

And letting Thais know outside of Thailand it has zero currency or law ....it won't change .

So in my view having some fun is the prerogative of the Koreans ....

If they don't like it....bad luck ...poke fun back

maybe it didnt have the relevant sound effects to make it funny.

Yes.......you have to know when to laugh.

If there is any subject that deserves to be mocked, it's religion.

And Buddhism isn't a religion..

It is, the way Thais practice it........

Edited by KarenBravo

Buddhism by all definition of dogma and practice of prayers and respect , and rules and fasting and days meat isn't eaten , temple attendance and preaching ....is religious .

It is often said in the west it isn't ....but the version in Thailand is classified as a belief beyond doubt.

The Latin word ...means to bind back to god ...and in their eyes the entity Buddha is certainly held in that esteem.....

You only have to see the Thais devotion to know its deeply personal and their faith in merit and that institution is massive, and taught to them at earliest oppurtunity.

Many years ago when the anthrax filled packages were being sent in Washington I saw a ' comedy ' skit in a programme my then gf was watching and it featured a woman opening an envelope from which a powder spilled out and she started screaming anthrax.

I said to the gf that it wasn't in the least bit funny and her response was that since no Thais were involved in the actual incidents and they weren't happening here Thais would think nothing of joking about it.

Buddhism by all definition of dogma and practice of prayers and respect , and rules and fasting and days meat isn't eaten , temple attendance and preaching ....is religious .

It is often said in the west it isn't ....but the version in Thailand is classified as a belief beyond doubt.

The Latin word ...means to bind back to god ...and in their eyes the entity Buddha is certainly held in that esteem.....

You only have to see the Thais devotion to know its deeply personal and their faith in merit and that institution is massive, and taught to them at earliest oppurtunity.

Shame he was just a man then isn't it.

Many years ago when the anthrax filled packages were being sent in Washington I saw a ' comedy ' skit in a programme my then gf was watching and it featured a woman opening an envelope from which a powder spilled out and she started screaming anthrax.

I said to the gf that it wasn't in the least bit funny and her response was that since no Thais were involved in the actual incidents and they weren't happening here Thais would think nothing of joking about it.

What more really needs to be said on the matter? If you can't take it, don't dish it out..

What more really needs to be said on the matter? If you can't take it, don't dish it out..

That says it all really but as we know only too well it's not the Thai way.

Buddha was only a man ...however enlightenment in their eyes elevates him.

Most Thais don't know his birth place outside their country.

And are unaware he fathered children.

Point is he is still a highly revered spiritual figure.

Christ was as far as I know a man too....

Leaving out endoctrination

Yet, not a word from those same netizens about the sketch on one of the Thai comedy hours last Sunday where one of the actors was painted to depict a confused and bumbling black tourist in Thailand? Or is that different?

Yet, not a word from those same netizens about the sketch on one of the Thai comedy hours last Sunday where one of the actors was painted to depict a confused and bumbling black tourist in Thailand? Or is that different?

Ah yes, but that was funny you see.

Satire only works if it has some "truth" that it is based on, and Thai's don't get "satire" at all from what I've seen over the years. Guess they're not friends with Korea any more.

There are 2 Koreas, as you know, I expect Kim Jong Un enjoyed the performance immensely.

Great ! Thais using the Swastika and Hitler images everywhere is OK, but oh my if somebody make a joke about the Thai monks, with their Louis Vuitton hand bags and private jets ....

I think it's not really the same, because the Koreans know who Thai monks are, they are actually basing their parody on something (as opposed to simply using a Thai Buddhist symbol or image of a Thai Buddhist without knowing what it is)