CDC still thinks non-MP can be considered as Thai PM

webfact

CDC still thinks non-MP can be considered as PM

BANGKOK, 18 June 2015 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) says it still backs the provision allowing for a non-MP Prime Minister, if he or she receives two-thirds of the vote in Parliament.

CDC Chairman Borwonsak Uwanno says the CDC will begin the process of reviewing suggestions from the National Reform Council and the Cabinet in revising the new constitution starting June 24.

He said the majority of the CDC are still of the opinion that a non-MP can be nominated to the office of Prime Minister. However, he or she must obtain two-thirds of the vote from Parliament.

Regarding the powers of the Prime Minister, the CDC will review Sections 181 and 182 and will most likely omit provisions that would lead to controversy.

The two sections give the Prime Minister the power to call for a confidence vote from Parliament to reaffirm his or her legitimacy, as well the power to issue executive orders on matters of national interest.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-18 footer_n.gif

I'm sure they will dig their heels in on this one. It is absolutely central to the way they intend Thailand to be governed.

Mind you, the number of voices here telling about the overwhelming majority Pheu Thai would get in the next general elections, seems to have diminished somewhat. Also the near 'proportional representation' some claim will lead to smaller parties. That would suggest this 'two-third vote of MPs' to be a moot point.

I'm sure they will dig their heels in on this one. It is absolutely central to the way they intend Thailand to be governed.

Mind you, the number of voices here telling about the overwhelming majority Pheu Thai would get in the next general elections, seems to have diminished somewhat. Also the near 'proportional representation' some claim will lead to smaller parties. That would suggest this 'two-third vote of MPs' to be a moot point.

It doesn't matter what you think will drive the composition of the parliament one way or another. The question at hand is whether a person not elected to office in a general election may become the PM.

Where do you stand on that?

Try to answer without too much equivocation.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

It doesn't matter what you think will drive the composition of the parliament one way or another. The question at hand is whether a person not elected to office in a general election may become the PM.

Where do you stand on that?

Try to answer without too much equivocation.

Trying, trying, times that is.

Personally I think that only under clearly described situations and with clearly described restrictions the parliament should be able to elect a non-MP as PM. With a clearly abnormal situation I would also mandate the 2/3-rule.

When political parties fail to form a coalition government, even after having let various parties try, one needs to decide on either a new general election, or on letting a non-MP become PM and grant him the right to appoint a cabinet from elected MPs. Not sure I'd want to go as far as allowing non-MPs in such a special cabinet. There may need to be a limitation to how long such PM/cabinet can continue, maybe less than the four years normal after a general election.

That's what i think.

"Rubl - When political parties fail to form a coalition government...."

The Germans, who seem to be a partial model for the Thai parliament, have a system that does not require a coalition government.

- First try - candidate nominated by President (almost always the candidate is the leader of largest party in the Bundestag), majority vote wins

- Second try - candidate nominated by Bundestag, majority vote wins

- Third try - candidates nominated by Bundestag, most votes wins, approved by President, or Bundestag is dissolved

I see the Thai "crisis option" for a non MP as unnecessary. Surely the Thai parliament is large enough (500 members?) that an acceptable candidate can be found. And if there is no candidate that is obviously acceptable, than that is easily resolved by a constitutional deadline (the German basic law has them). Elect a PM or dissolve within 2 weeks. This forces parties to sit down and hammer out a deal.

On another topic, and perhaps the one that makes these "trying times", most of the parliamentary democracies that we would identify as effective make clear that the armed forces are subordinate to the civilian government.

The current draft Charter avoids that arrangement.

Not a big surprise, but surely a harbinger of things to come.

"Rubl - When political parties fail to form a coalition government...."

The Germans, who seem to be a partial model for the Thai parliament, have a system that does not require a coalition government.

- First try - candidate nominated by President (almost always the candidate is the leader of largest party in the Bundestag), majority vote wins

- Second try - candidate nominated by Bundestag, majority vote wins

- Third try - candidates nominated by Bundestag, most votes wins, approved by President, or Bundestag is dissolved

I see the Thai "crisis option" for a non MP as unnecessary. Surely the Thai parliament is large enough (500 members?) that an acceptable candidate can be found. And if there is no candidate that is obviously acceptable, than that is easily resolved by a constitutional deadline (the German basic law has them). Elect a PM or dissolve within 2 weeks. This forces parties to sit down and hammer out a deal.

On another topic, and perhaps the one that makes these "trying times", most of the parliamentary democracies that we would identify as effective make clear that the armed forces are subordinate to the civilian government.

The current draft Charter avoids that arrangement.

Not a big surprise, but surely a harbinger of things to come.

Thailand:

First try - candidate nominated by H.M. the King.

due to various forum rules ... end of discussion.

PS what you included as "quote" is not a forum software recognise quote of a post of mine. As such I do not get a notification and it's pure chance I stumble over your reply. If you're interested in me reading your opinion on my post and what to give me a chance to reply, please be a wee bit more careful in extracting parts.

Edited by rubl