Non-O Visa Run Report, Savannakhet, Laos

Hah! I forgot to mention that the power died while at the bridge crossing back into Thailand, after she had entered half of my information into the computer. They had the backup generator running five minutes later. My passport had already been stamped and everything... interesting situation.

2) There is a fee of 40 THB a person when being stamped out of Laos, I've never seen this before but myself (American), my British friend and my Thai wife all had to pay the 40 baht fee. Be sure to have a couple twenties in your wallet when crossing.

No there is not.

You say 'Is there a receipt', they say no, you say that you're not paying then. They look down and let you through.

Some people have morals, some people don't.

Up to you.

I never said it was an official fee. Arguing it seemed worthless as someone else tried and they were denied a stamp out until after the fee was paid.

Not true.

Instead of the scene that would be created, they just stamp and let you through.

I never said it was an official fee. Arguing it seemed worthless as someone else tried and they were denied a stamp out until after the fee was paid.

Not true.

Instead of the scene that would be created, they just stamp and let you through.

Again, i'm telling you what i saw and they weren't just letting the lady through regardless of the scene. You're assuming without any facts whereas I was there and witnessed what happened when someone declined to pay the 'fee'.

• Like 2

Can you please provide more details re Nok Air FLy& Ride

Thanks

Air Asia offers the same service to Mukdahan.

If you pick the day you want to fly and check for flights there will be a link to the schedule for the ground transport on the bottom of the page.

This may seem like a dumb question, why do you need to get a renewed non imm "o" and not a 1 year extension. My situation until now has meant me travelling out of Thailand for project work every other month. Now work has ceased my visa is due to expire in a cople of months. Can I get an extension (marriage) or do I need to do what you did.

This may seem like a dumb question, why do you need to get a renewed non imm "o" and not a 1 year extension. My situation until now has meant me travelling out of Thailand for project work every other month. Now work has ceased my visa is due to expire in a cople of months. Can I get an extension (marriage) or do I need to do what you did.

You can apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from the visa.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

Thanks

When you go to http://www.nokair.com/ simply select Bangkok as the From and Mukdahan as the "To". There is no airport in Mukdahan so they will instead show all the flights for the day at airports nearby Mukdahan as well as list a second 'ride' they say bus, it was a van. The Mukdahan van will drop off at the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge first and then continue to downtown Mukdahan. You simply get off when it arrives at the bridge.

If you're using Nok Air for the return flight, you need to get to Ploy Palace in Mukdahan, which as I mentioned is 120 baht for a taxi there from the Thai side of the bridge, then tell the doorman that you're waiting for the Nok Air van, they will inform you when it arrives. It will then take you directly to the appropriate airport.

Edited by JeffreyO
  • Like 1

You can apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from the visa.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-support-thai-wife/

The photos are printed photos, of your thai family (you and thai wife and kids of you two if any) taken in 3 or 4 rooms of the house (living room..bedroom)..photo of outside of residence clearly showing residence number.

It's not too difficult to do, but no matter how prepared you are they always have something slightly different to the last visit, it's important therefore to keep cool patient respectful no matter how many hoops.

• Like 1

Thanks

When you go to http://www.nokair.com/ simply select Bangkok as the From and Mukdahan as the "To". There is no airport in Mukdahan so they will instead show all the flights for the day at airports nearby Mukdahan as well as list a second 'ride' they say bus, it was a van. The Mukdahan van will drop off at the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge first and then continue to downtown Mukdahan. You simply get off when it arrives at the bridge.

If you're using Nok Air for the return flight, you need to get to Ploy Palace in Mukdahan, which as I mentioned is 120 baht for a taxi there from the Thai side of the bridge, then tell the doorman that you're waiting for the Nok Air van, they will inform you when it arrives. It will then take you directly to the appropriate airport.

Good report and pleased all went well.

I was in Mukdahan with my family, touring last year, and we really enjoyed the town for a few nights. We stayed Riverside Hotel and I'd really recommend a stay in Muk if anyone is travelling that way with a thai wife.

Somebody remind me. Why was the Hull consulate , previously a very open and easy place to obtain a non O visa eventually brought to task for it's laxity.

There are several threads already on this subject. Shouldn't the mods collate all threads on this subject into one. Continuous new threads on this subject will only hasten the inevitable crackdown. When this happens it will he very serious for those lacking the required funds for a conventional visa extension.

I respect the OP's good intention to disseminate this useful information but if Suv tightens up , where will people turn to next for a soft touch ?

Edited by Denim

The Mukdahan van will drop off at the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge first and then continue to downtown Mukdahan.

Only Nok Air's route between Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan (and vice versa) has an additional drop off point at the bridge (and a pick up point as well). The vans on the other 2 routes (Sakhon Nakhon, Ubon Ratchathani) won't drop you or pick you up at the bridge. They only stop at the Ploy Palace Hotel.

Air Asia's drop off/pick up point is at the Indochine Market. Air Asia's Fly & Ride service applies only to their flights to/from Ubon Ratchathani.

They don't ask for proof of funds at Savannakhet.

Extensions based on marriage require either 400,000 in a Thai bank a/c, or an income of 40,000 a month.

Many expats in my locality can't prove either, or can't be bothered to prepare the necessary documents for an extension application.

If Savannakhet started asking for proof of funds, a lot of expats would be up shit creek without a paddle.

They don't ask for proof of funds at Savannakhet.

Extensions based on marriage require either 400,000 in a Thai bank a/c, or an income of 40,000 a month.

Many expats in my locality can't prove either, or can't be bothered to prepare the necessary documents for an extension application.

If Savannakhet started asking for proof of funds, a lot of expats would be up shit creek without a paddle.

They did not ask me for proof of funds, I brought affidavit's from my embassy as well as bank statements and deposit slips just in case.

I actually do meet the income requirements but immigration 1 denied to allow me to use proof of income, saying that was only for retirees, they simply didn't know their own laws, so I went the route of Savannakhet and it worked like a charm. Interesting the hoops we have to jump through when others don't know their own jobs.

• Like 1

The Mukdahan van will drop off at the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge first and then continue to downtown Mukdahan.

Only Nok Air's route between Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan (and vice versa) has an additional drop off point at the bridge (and a pick up point as well). The vans on the other 2 routes (Sakhon Nakhon, Ubon Ratchathani) won't drop you or pick you up at the bridge. They only stop at the Ploy Palace Hotel.

Air Asia's drop off/pick up point is at the Indochine Market. Air Asia's Fly & Ride service applies only to their flights to/from Ubon Ratchathani.

You need to recheck your info. I don't believe any airline does the the fly/ride via Sakhon Nakon now.

Air Asia goes there via Nakhon Phanom also not Ubon.

From a booking summary I got on Air Asia's website.

FD 3398

• DMK
  • KOP

0830, 22 Jun 2015[/size]0945, 22 Jun 2015

Nakhon Phanom (KOP) to Mukdahan (Indochina Market)

Depart 1025 Arrive 1155

You need to recheck your info. I don't believe any airline does the the fly/ride via Sakhon Nakon now.

FD 3398

• DMK
  • KOP

Depart 1025 Arrive 1155

I can't speak for the way in as we arrived at KOP on the way in but Nokair does take you from Mukdahan to Sakon Nakhon if you leave at certain times. The evening option for the fly & ride is flight DD9411....

SNO

DMK

Departs Sakon Nakhon,
Friday, June 19 BE
Arrives Bangkok,
Friday, June 19 BE

Times Terminal Gate Times Terminal Gate 8:35 PM - - 9:45 PM 1

2) There is a fee of 40 THB a person when being stamped out of Laos, I've never seen this before but myself (American), my British friend and my Thai wife all had to pay the 40 baht fee. Be sure to have a couple twenties in your wallet when crossing.

No there is not.

You say 'Is there a receipt', they say no, you say that you're not paying then. They look down and let you through.

Some people have morals, some people don't.

Up to you.

Actually the fee is now 50THB to exit Laos, that was the sum paid by myself and an Aussie mate last week.

FD 3398

• DMK
  • KOP

Depart 1025 Arrive 1155

I can't speak for the way in as we arrived at KOP on the way in but Nokair does take you from Mukdahan to Sakon Nakhon if you leave at certain times. The evening option for the fly & ride is flight DD9411....

SNO

DMK

Departs Sakon Nakhon,
Friday, June 19 BE
Arrives Bangkok,
Friday, June 19 BE

Times Terminal Gate Times Terminal Gate 8:35 PM - - 9:45 PM 1

The may fly to Sakhon Nakhon but it does not appear on the fly/ride page to Mukdahan as an option.

See: http://nokair.com/content/en/destinations/fly-n-ride/mukdahan.aspx

Joe, that page is outdated.

Please go to nokair.com, when you're selecting your destination "Mukdahan" is under the fly & ride list. You'll be able to see the numerous flights available, not just those listed on the site you provided a link to. The list you provided was when they were initially starting the fly & ride service and they were using 'feeler' flights, they have since expanded.

Those flights are the most recent versions. I was also confused by that when first looking.

Edited by JeffreyO

There are more flights shown. But it does not show routing I guess until you get farther on in the booking process.

The link I posted is on the bottom of the page for flight selection. Perhaps you should send a message to Nok to inform them their website is out of date.

It doesn't show routing but the flight numbers are listed and they can be searched from within Google to get airports and flight status. I can assure you, Nok Air is flying out of Sakon Nakhon for their fly & ride program right now as I did it a couple days ago smile.png

I'll consider reaching out to Nok Air when time allows. It was definitely confusing at first.

Edited by JeffreyO

Joe, you are right with Air Asia. They are in fact going via Nakhon Phanom, not Ubon Ratchathani. Sorry for that!

You are wrong with Nok Air/Sakhon Nakhon. Go to nokair.com and select Mukdahan as destination (as JeffreyO explained already). Than click on the airplane symbol next to the flight number. A small window will pop up and give you some more detailed information about the flight (including the destination of the selected flight). The bus symbol will lead you to some information about the bus ride. You will see, there are Sakhon Nakhon flights listed as well as flights to Nakhon Phanom or Ubon Ratchathani.

But I was wrong in another point as well. Not only the buses from Nakhon Phanom stop at the additional Stop-point at the bridge, the Sakhon Nakhon buses do so as well. Also this is not a pick up point (as I wrongly said before) but only a drop of point. Sorry again!

post-76956-0-30224900-1434687552_thumb.j

Edited by thecaveman