Where to buy milk?

LarryBird

Somebody told me that the milk you buy in Tesco and Big C over here isn't the same as the milk you buy in a supermarket in England. Is that true and if so what is the difference pls?

the difference is that the milk sold in the supermarkets is made up of milk and 'milk products', a reconstituted powder of sort, along with flavorings/sweeteners. if you want pure milk then you need to buy it from a dairy. you can buy milk at the dairy on Huay Kaew near the zoo on the opposite side. they sell it in lots of 10 kg for about 320 Baht. it has already been pasteurized. or you can go to one of the dairies in Saraphi or on the way to Lamphun and buy raw milk which has not been pasteurized. It's cheaper and I think they will sell sell 5 kg. lots. we buy our milk at the place on Huay Kaew twice a month and make our own yogurt.

Somebody told me that the milk you buy in Tesco and Big C over here isn't the same as the milk you buy in a supermarket in England. Is that true and if so what is the difference pls?

the difference is that the milk sold in the supermarkets is made up of milk and 'milk products', a reconstituted powder of sort, along with flavorings/sweeteners. if you want pure milk then you need to buy it from a dairy. you can buy milk at the dairy on Huay Kaew near the zoo on the opposite side. they sell it in lots of 10 kg for about 320 Baht. it has already been pasteurized. or you can go to one of the dairies in Saraphi or on the way to Lamphun and buy raw milk which has not been pasteurized. It's cheaper and I think they will sell sell 5 kg. lots. we buy our milk at the place on Huay Kaew twice a month and make our own yogurt.

Some of the milk sold in supermarkets is made from reconstituted powder, not all. Foremost and Dutch Mill are two of the reconstituted variety that spring to mind while Meiji and Chokchai are two that are not.

Hi

In Malaysia I quite often buy the "fresh milk" imported from Australia.

I have noticed that the use by dates are much further out (say by 6-10 days) than I would see on an equivalent purchase when buying it in Oz.

Just wondering if it has a second level of treatment or the like

Many thanks

By the way agree on Dutch Lady being reconstituted... it has a completely different taste

Maybe I need education on this topic but I've never heard of milk being sold by weight before. Volume yes but weight?

Litres vs Kilograms. It's actually pretty close to each other but still..... please educate!

Maybe I need education on this topic but I've never heard of milk being sold by weight before. Volume yes but weight?

Litres vs Kilograms. It's actually pretty close to each other but still..... please educate!

that is how it is sold at dairies - as odd as it seems. at the place on Huay Kaew Thai Danish i believe is the name (which is a cooperative and dairies sell their milk to them) you get 2 large bags, each weighing 5 kg. it is a lot of milk! appx. 320 Bath

that is how it is sold at dairies - as odd as it seems. at the place on Huay Kaew Thai Danish i believe is the name (which is a cooperative and dairies sell their milk to them) you get 2 large bags, each weighing 5 kg. it is a lot of milk! appx. 320 Bath

Raw milk is 130bht for 5Kg.

(only a 3% difference between 5l and 5Kg)

Edited by MissAndry

Raw milk is 130bht for 5Kg.

(only a 3% difference between 5l and 5Kg)

O.K. so 260 Baht for 10 kg. as opposed to appx. 320 - i think a tad less even - for pasteurized. so not much difference in price. we used to buy the raw milk to make yogurt but then the dairy near my wife's property in Saraphi suddenly changed their hours to being open to the public to 8:00-11:00 only which was too inconvenient for us. Thai Danish if you get there by about 17:10, you can still buy milk.

How can I determine if the milk sold in supermarkets is fresh milk or reconstituted powder. I suppose we talking about the cooled pasteurized milk and not the UHT.

yes the cooled pasteurized milk is probably reconstituted powder with flavorings/sweeteners. don't know about the UHT. never looked at the ingredients.

Milk is sold in solid blocks in east Siberia in winter, yes by the kilo. Lasts forever, or at least until following May. Also, no bacteria: only way it can harm you is if it hits you on the head.

How can I determine if the milk sold in supermarkets is fresh milk or reconstituted powder. I suppose we talking about the cooled pasteurized milk and not the UHT.

Apart from Chok Chai, a smallish Thai dairy, its powder, re constituted and most likely from NZ that has 4.9 million milking cows.If it was fresh it would betriple or more the price and have a very short shelf life.Do the maths, fresh milk from mainly NZ dairy's, refrigerated to the airport ,flown over, refrigerated and delivered .........no chance. That's the simple reason milk sold here has a long shelf life if it was fresh different story.

Then there's a mountain of various baby formula's sold here also powdered.

Like wise UHT

Reconstituted and most likely from New Zealand? You've absolutely no facts on which to base that absurd claim. As for shelf life, 2 weeks + is perfectly normal for pasteurised, homogenised milk. I'm not sure what baby formula has to do with anything. That's powdered wherever you buy it.

Edited by Mark123456

Milk is sold in solid blocks in east Siberia in winter, yes by the kilo. Lasts forever, or at least until following May. Also, no bacteria: only way it can harm you is if it hits you on the head.

Well the intent is to sell it as liquid, but it freezes solid 20 seconds after leaving the cow ;)

A Thai friend that got a dairy farm here in CM told me that Thailand is missing 30% of its milk needs,therefor their will blend in whatever is missing in the form of powdered milk.

Milk is paid too the farmer in Kg(everywhere) because the more fat there is the heavier the milk is, more money is paid.

A Thai friend that got a dairy farm here in CM told me that Thailand is missing 30% of its milk needs,therefor their will blend in whatever is missing in the form of powdered milk.

Milk is paid too the farmer in Kg(everywhere) because the more fat there is the heavier the milk is, more money is paid.

this sounds accurate to me from my experience.

Actually, fat is lighter. It floats on water.

Actually, fat is lighter. It floats on water.
People who spread ridiculous rumours don't usually let facts get in their way.