Ticks

DD13

Hi Folks

This year we are experiencing a major "infestation" of TICKS.....someone suggested that they may have originated from "cassava" plants grown in the adjacent fields

Has anybody suggestions to how to get rid of these ?????

Or which product to use to spray a 1.5 Rai garden ??

Not only are they driving the dogs crazy, but us also

Many thanks in advance. ( even to the comedians who are bound to have their say ) lol

Is there a variety of tree in LOS that's pungent and insect resistant such as cedar? It has to be aromatic. Think of insect resistant cedar chests.

If there is one cut some boughs with the greenery from a live tree and put them under your beds and sofa and anywhere else you can hide them such as closets. Also put them where the dogs sleep. If you can get some true aromatic cedar oil get that and wipe some on the dogs' beds and around where they sleep.

It will not only drive ticks and fleas away but it interrupts their breeding cycle as they can't detect odors for breeding. They will stop biting the day you put that out because biting is to draw blood for life and breeding. They won't be able to identify you as a blood source.

This is the best solution because it works positively, immediately, and isn't poison. If a tick or flea gets on you or a dog when you're outside it will be gone in the morning. It will simply pack its bags and leave.

There are also flea and tick collars for dogs that work. I'm not sure how they work (chemicals) but they also run the critters right off.

Example of cedar oil, mostly used to rejuvenate cedar chests.

There's also a liquid called Frontline. You put one drop on the back of a dog's neck once a month. I know it works to keep fleas and ticks off but I don't know what's in it.

Cheers.

Edit. If you can get cedar boughs or the equivalent it will keep them out of the whole house. It doesn't have to be everywhere. This is how a cedar chest works and work it does. It puts a pleasant cedar odor in the house so be prepared for that. It's actually a nice fresh smell that isn't strong. A cedar chest can smell strong and unpleasant over time but this is different where fresh air is always involved.

Edited by NeverSure

Thank you I will investigate the availability of cedar oil......

I don't think cedar trees exist here.....but we do have many different trees and shrubs

OP if you haven't already you may want to have a read on these topics and perhaps do a search in the Plants, Pets forum -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764269-ticks-my-solution/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/815208-en-dex-8000-problem/

Not sure you will be able to cure the source if it is that widespread but best of luck.

I've had the same problem this year. I checked out the thread highlighted above some months ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764269-ticks-my-solution/

and found that Frontline Plus works well on my little gal. The pest control guy sprays the inside and outside of the house every two months which should control them inside. If you don't use a pest control service try the stuff recommended in that thread, I think it's called C1.

Just noticed this topic and here is what I added to your other one:

We were in exactly the same situation as you are and even though they were on endex tablets no matter how many times we washed the dogs or picked the ticks off it was a never ending task, we also have a rai and half and eventually I worked out that unless we could completely break the cycle by wiping out all the ticks that are in the soil over the last few years and through their different life cycles we were wasting our time. In the end we decided to completely break the cycle by getting Professional's in and to date about a year on that has worked brilliantly

We initially got Rentokil to come and have a look but they did not bother answering my emails for a week or so after the inspection so I ended up getting a local crew from here in Huay Yai who the neighbors' recommended and they have been really good

If I remember correctly they came for 1 day a week for 4 week then once every month for a full 12 months for a full year it costs Baht 22,000. They used a lot of chemical and I would not recommend even attempting doing it yourself as there is a lot of equipment needed as well as the chemicals themselves and not to mention the actual spraying

The results were very fast in the dogs(we have 2 large female rotties and a male Doberman and we have had 7 puppies about 6 weeks ago as well!!) after the first couple of sessions the ticks were far fewer in number and now nearly a year on we rarely see any ticks on either the adults or the pups, the other side effect is that all out plants in the garden all look way healthier than they did before the treatment started

It is not an option we really wanted to do but once the land is infested then you need a strong response, our dogs seemed to be losing weight and the ticks were getting into the Dobes ears and driving him mad so they had to go. I am going to keep on getting the land sprayed every month so we don't end up in the same situation further down the line

More than 50% of the ticks carry a parasite that will over time, kill your dog. There is a quick test most vets will do. it checks for anti bodies. My dog had it yesterday. It was negative. I opted to do a full blood check and that took 24 hours. Just got the results and it is positive. So two weeks worth of meds then check again.

Im writing this so the owners of dogs or cats who think that ticks are just a pain in behind can be made aware of the harm they cause that leads to death.

I used revolution, it quit working. Frontline as well quit working.....the last four or five months its been a shot every month...that doesnt work....also have a great collar....Still I find the tiny ticks.....

My dog has short hair and weighs Five kilos and is an indoor dog.....so is easy to spot check daily a number of times.

I have used a pest service sprayed the yard. washed linens on a daily basis......

I get a blood test every three or four months to check liver and kidney funtion...its cheap and is a good overall health indicator...My dog had one two weeks ago and all was fine.

The last three days only would pick at the food. very tired....The vet said not to worry. I insisted on the tests and positive....

So having a pet in this country is like a full time job.