The never-ending PARADE of daredevils on Thai roads

Lite Beer

In Chiang Mai we can observe an increase in helmet use for riders and passengers. It can be improved even more, especially out of town BUT it is improving.

If I don't use a helmet I don't endanger anyone else but myself. So in my opinion that law doesn't make sense at all.

Does your accident insurance cover non helmet use or are you expecting family or the state to wipe your ass after catastrophic head injury?

What an idiot, this is why we have to have laws making people wear them. I would suggest the fool is either American or certainly not a proper motorcyclist.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as no severe penalties for road offences along with thorough and frequent (every year) check ups of vehicles for road safety (lights, brakes, tire profile, etc.) and proper education in schools, on tv and via billboards etc. are enforced, nothing will change. Most Thais still think that safety helmets, safety belts, etc. are there only to avoid being fined, but can't get their heads around the true purpose. Problem is - if vehicles that are unsafe would be taken off the streets for good, 90% of Thais would be without vehicle and/or job. This is a big one to pull off and I think it would require serious financial backing by the "government" but mostly they have bigger fishes to fry, respectively bigger pockets to fill...

Edited by MockingJay

In Chiang Mai we can observe an increase in helmet use for riders and passengers. It can be improved even more, especially out of town BUT it is improving.

If I don't use a helmet I don't endanger anyone else but myself. So in my opinion that law doesn't make sense at all.

Problem here is that if without helmet you die in an accident that you could have survived wearing one, you put your opponent in that accident as well as his and your very own family and friends in misery that could easily have been avoided. If you give a toss about your own safety, it does not necessarily mean that others have to tune in on your ignorant "I don't care" song. Think about it!

Edited by MockingJay

Fire all the cops and contract a foreign police force. Sorted.

I like this.whistling.gif

Fire all the cops and employ foreigners. Indeed, get rid of the Thai politicians (such as they are at the moment anyway), transfer all Thai workers out of the country and employ hard working farangs, hang on to the women i guess?.

I sometimes wonder why foreigners bother to stay here, it's so depressing.wink.png

easy to call Thais names for their bad driving behavior however many expats become native after a few years here and drive just as bad myself include. Bottom line is the lack of law enforcement. Lets face the facts if we in NA and EU didn't have photo radar and heavy fines there would be just as much road carnage. We are no better than Thais only difference is that we have effective law enforcement.

Fire all the cops and contract a foreign police force. Sorted.

I like this.whistling.gif

Fire all the cops and employ foreigners. Indeed, get rid of the Thai politicians (such as they are at the moment anyway), transfer all Thai workers out of the country and employ hard working farangs, hang on to the women i guess?.

I sometimes wonder why foreigners bother to stay here, it's so depressing.wink.png

Sounds good to me thumbsup.gif

Don't Thais think they are invincible and that everyone has their eyes on them? I can't count how many times I have had a car or motorcycle just pul out from a side street or store and the driver doesn't even look to see I m coming. They can afford gas but they can't fix a he'd or tail light. In my rural area although I am sure they know what a helmet is. It is a side decoration until they get into the city.

I have been in some small accidents and let m give you some advice. Get a camera to prove your innocence. Your guilty unless it is totally obvious they other guy at fault.

In the mornings and afternoons I see so many traffic cops working. But it isn't enforcement of laws that they are doing. It is keeping parents moving along from dropping off their kids. All violations of laws are ignored during this time

beatdeadhorse.gif I'll keep beating this dead horse for the heck of it: Thailand has no patrol cars on the highway that pull traffic violators over for moving violation that would include: speeding, failure to maintain your lane, failure to yield right-of-way, failure to stop at signs and lights, dangerous driving, negligence driving, using the shoulder to pass slower traffic, erratic driving, and the list goes on.......... beatdeadhorse.gif

To be honest, to virtually everyone on the road - including me - a cop car with lights and sirens blaring doesn't mean "Pull Over and Stop", but it means "Get out of the way of the oncoming VIPs".

beatdeadhorse.gif

Helmet law is in force since 17 years if I recall correctly.

Earlier this year there was a report on this forum, that insurance companies had done an investigation and found that 7% of the population wears a helmet.

As long as no severe penalties for road offences along with thorough and frequent (every year) check ups of vehicles for road safety (lights, brakes, tire profile, etc.) and proper education in schools, on tv and via billboards etc. are enforced, nothing will change. Most Thais still think that safety helmets, safety belts, etc. are there only to avoid being fined, but can't get their heads around the true purpose. Problem is - if vehicles that are unsafe would be taken off the streets for good, 90% of Thais would be without vehicle and/or job. This is a big one to pull off and I think it would require serious financial backing by the "government" but mostly they have bigger fishes to fry, respectively bigger pockets to fill...

Speaking about yearly checkup, I was getting mine done for my 20+ year old Toyota that runs like a top. But as I was sitting watching the mechanics test vehicles, they brought a diesel truck in, placed an emissions probe in the exhaust, pumped the accelerator pedal causing large billows of thick black smoke, took the probe out, and parked the car. 10 minutes later that owner has his certification and drives down to Licensing to get his yearly sticker. <head shake> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - why even go through the motions of this charade.

The article mentions Vietnam where almost everybody wears a helmet, because if you don't and you get stopped they load your motorbike onto a truck and that's the last you see of it for 3 months, works a treat.

Plus, in Vietnam you do what the government says you do, otherwise you are in deep deep poo.

Where do you get your information from? In Vietnam the standard fine for not wearing a helmet is 250,000 VND (approx $12 US) but most just give the policeman 100,000.

There are 2 reasons the death rate in Vietnam is lower than in Thailand - 1. the roads are so poor high speeds are rarely possible and, 2. there are nowhere near as many cars. Wait till those factors change.

beatdeadhorse.gif I'll keep beating this dead horse for the heck of it: Thailand has no patrol cars on the highway that pull traffic violators over for moving violation that would include: speeding, failure to maintain your lane, failure to yield right-of-way, failure to stop at signs and lights, dangerous driving, negligence driving, using the shoulder to pass slower traffic, erratic driving, and the list goes on.......... beatdeadhorse.gif

To be honest, to virtually everyone on the road - including me - a cop car with lights and sirens blaring doesn't mean "Pull Over and Stop", but it means "Get out of the way of the oncoming VIPs".

beatdeadhorse.gif

Yes they do, been stopped by one. They have motorcycles as well.

The view I have of the roads and the traffic here, is that there is one rule that overrides every other one, there are no rules, it's simply every man for himself and the daily commute is nothing more than a game of chicken. We are living in a developing country and the people will eventually take heed, it may well be a few generations away, but it will happen. The one thing that I find intolerable is the common practice of ride in the wrong direction on the wrong side of the road, an absolute act of stupidity. Just last night, I was on the highway outside big C extra, in the matter of 20 minutes 3 bikes, 2 of which had no lights & all of which had helmet less riders, were travelling up the wrong side of the road.

I think you are new to Thailand? Thailand has been developing for a very long time (at least 20 years I have observed) and it will be developing for a long time to come. Partly its cultural and partly its due to not wanting to listen to others and follow world norms. The Thai mindset is very much I will do what I want while pandering and weiing to the person higher up in stature. Trouble is those who enforce are also Thai so thus don't expect any change soon.

The view I have of the roads and the traffic here, is that there is one rule that overrides every other one, there are no rules, it's simply every man for himself and the daily commute is nothing more than a game of chicken. We are living in a developing country and the people will eventually take heed, it may well be a few generations away, but it will happen. The one thing that I find intolerable is the common practice of ride in the wrong direction on the wrong side of the road, an absolute act of stupidity. Just last night, I was on the highway outside big C extra, in the matter of 20 minutes 3 bikes, 2 of which had no lights & all of which had helmet less riders, were travelling up the wrong side of the road.

I think you are new to Thailand? Thailand has been developing for a very long time (at least 20 years I have observed) and it will be developing for a long time to come. Partly its cultural and partly its due to not wanting to listen to others and follow world norms. The Thai mindset is very much I will do what I want while pandering and weiing to the person higher up in stature. Trouble is those who enforce are also Thai so thus don't expect any change soon.

yes mchai.in over 30yrs.nothing has changed,arrogant,ignorant,selfish and i know better brigade.

Edited by meatboy

Yes, new to Thailand and hear you both loud and clear. I'm not here to change the culture or make a critical assessment of it, I make these observations, I air my thoughts and try to be optimistic about the future for the sake of the Thais that I have come to know. Maybe after being here for 30 years I to will have become as jaded as some on this forum, I think if that happens, I'll go back to the nanny state from where I came.

Edited by marcosss

I realize this thread is about motorbike riders but I have just returned from driving 9 hours each way from Phuket to Hua Hin. On a couple of occasions while I was in the right hand lane doing around 100 k/h I had car drivers overtake me in the very short right turn lane. On the other hand there were numerous occasions where truck drivers used their turn indicators to let me know when it was safe to overtake and others move to the left to allow overtaking. I was also surprised at the frequent use of indicators when changing lanes.

Sure, there are crazy drivers here but there are also considerate drivers that I don't find so much in the West.

I APPLAUD this article ....But as I have said before until the police act there will be no change in drivers/rider habits and deaths will keep rising ..forget any decrease.

A child on a motorbike stopped at a food stand I was at, looked 8 ..was 13 ..no helmet ..obviously no license, insurance etc...Later that day I was in the hospital ..another young girl was wheeled in to Emergency ..motorbike accident ,,she will recover but will carry the scares on her face and leg for the rest of her life ...but fear this will not deter her or others and in a few weeks will be back on the bike ..with no helmet ...WHEN WILL THE POLICE ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AND DO THEIR JOB ?

Yes, new to Thailand and hear you both loud and clear. I'm not here to change the culture or make a critical assessment of it, I make these observations, I air my thoughts and try to be optimistic about the future for the sake of the Thais that I have come to know. Maybe after being here for 30 years I to will have become as jaded as some on this forum, I think if that happens, I'll go back to the nanny state from where I came.

toooooooooooo late for me mc.i have passed the age of no return. i have a wife and a beloved dog who's home is HERE.

my observations are things will never change. NOBODY CARES

How to make people care enough to do something about the problem? I just don't see the will to do anything about the horrendous death toll on the roads here.

The police ignore helmetless riders, ignore appalling driving, ignore unlicensed drivers/riders............

Everybody knows several people who have died in rta's yet it does nothing to raise standards.

It won't change and all I can do is drive as safely as possible to protect myself and loved ones.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for police to ride without a helmet, usually wearing their squashed police version or a peak cap.

I'm seeing the same thing happening in Pattaya and Jomtien Beach, more motor bike users ( specially Thais ) using helmets now... The police has been around every corner and there is no way you can drive into Central Pattaya with no helmet NOT being fined the usual 400 baht. They now also seem to crack down on faring driving without Thai license. I got my car and motor bike Thai licenses last week and it feels SO GOOD handing this over to the police when I'm being asked.....!!

Look, it's very easy to change this attitude, just enforce the rule. Vietnam does it. It would save countless lives and money. But just like the Thai govt ignoring the air safety warning for years, now they are on tier 2. They ignore the simplicity of the helmet law . No sense of urgency at all.

The article mentions Vietnam where almost everybody wears a helmet, because if you don't and you get stopped they load your motorbike onto a truck and that's the last you see of it for 3 months, works a treat.

Plus, in Vietnam you do what the government says you do, otherwise you are in deep deep poo.

Yeah that's true. Helmet wearing is at about 99% in Vietnam, even in rural areas. Police set-up checkpoints everywhere, even on unexpected rural back roads and they always come with that flatbed truck.

In other words Thailand is NOT developing. Road rule enforcement (or the lack thereof) is no better today in 2015 than when I first started driving here in the early 2000s. On every given main road there will ALWAYS be a couple of idiots on scooters driving the wrong way against the flow of traffic. The police simply don't care or have any problem with this. It will take a LONG time for attitudes to change here.

But the good news for drivers who just want to drive somewhere with no restrictions, Thailand is that place! Want to drive at 140-150km/h from Chiang Mai down to Bangkok (assuming you don't get blocked by trucks in the right lane?) No problems! I do it all the time because it's not like I'd get caught anyway and even if I did, what's the fine? Usually nothing when I talk my way out of it or otherwise 100-200 Baht. It's such a breeze driving in Thailand, a country with no speed limit signs and no need to ever look at your speedo, you can weave in and out of traffic all you want, run red lights (I do it all the time) drive against the flow of traffic. Yee haa!!! Welcome to the wild west (or should I say wild east!!!) Seriously, where else in the world can you still get away with this?