I couldn't believe it! The Thai was cheated on technicalities!

Just watched a Thai Boxing match on telly tonight.

A Thai vs Swede.

The Swede was taller with the advantage of longer reach both with arms and legs.

From the very opening minutes the Swede looked totally defensive and was taking quite a few direct punches to his head.

All you had to do was focus on his head, to see it bounce around to hard punching.

He in return landed very few and mainly either put his legs out to push the other guy back or block lunches with his gloves.

Very defensive.

He took a beating and even went down after one flurry.

To put it mildly, he had the sh*+ beaten out of him.

After all this they gave the points/match to the Swede.

I was stunned and could only think he'd been cheated .

Did anyone see the match?

Edited by rockyysdt

I didn't watch the game, but not sure if I understand your post. You say "the Swede looked totally defensive and was taking quite a few direct punches to his head.". If he was all that defensive, how would he take "quite a few direct punches"?

Also, keep in mind that in order to score points, athletes have to hit specific spots without being hit (or less hit). Perhaps, the score cards give him the advantage because of that, even though he might have appeared to be struggling.

If you want to see a real fight, just call the girlfriend a buffalo............ Best fight you'll see..... As for Thai boxers, there's only one Thai boxer that was any good...... Khaosai Galaxy....... No 1

What about Chartchai Chinoi, was he not a world flyweight champion?

Beat the Scottish flyweight world champion Walter McGowan back in the late sixties.

Was that on channel 8, Muay Max?

Has something changed?

They are usually heavily rigged against the farang. Even my Gf refuse to watch this now as even if farang whips the thai they never get the win.

she says the thai guy must be dead for them to let farang win

I didn't watch the game, but not sure if I understand your post. You say "the Swede looked totally defensive and was taking quite a few direct punches to his head.". If he was all that defensive, how would he take "quite a few direct punches"?

Unquote

Fighting defensively doesn't mean he isn't hit, only that he was defensive as opposed to aggressive, I.e., not going after his opponent, being forced to cover up, rather than aggressively throwing punches.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Was that on channel 8, Muay Max?

Has something changed?

They are usually heavily rigged against the farang. Even my Gf refuse to watch this now as even if farang whips the thai they never get the win.

she says the thai guy must be dead for them to let farang win

if you can have a crooked monk , surly you can have a crooked gambling promoter . ya think ?

Also, keep in mind that in order to score points, athletes have to hit specific spots without being hit (or less hit). Perhaps, the score cards give him the advantage because of that, even though he might have appeared to be struggling.

The Swede concentrated on blocking punches and kicks.

He threw few of his own.

Firstly one can only build points by landing hits, not by stopping them from the opponent.

One can save a game being defensive, only if you had already accumulated points through successful attacking.

His Thai opponent threw many punches and landed many.

The Swedes head looked like a speed ball, taking quite a few.

The Thai was stitched up.

Reminds me of an Asian Cup football match a few years ago where the Thai and Indonesian Teams conspired to lose; both were disqualified.

The result of Muay Thai matches can depend on the weight of money being placed - have low expectations and you won't be dissatisfied!

Reminds me of an Asian Cup football match a few years ago where the Thai and Indonesian Teams conspired to lose; both were disqualified.

The result of Muay Thai matches can depend on the weight of money being placed - have low expectations and you won't be dissatisfied!

I guess if I'm not attached to the result, watching the match was entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...