Ashes 2015

7by7

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If family connections weren't enough to get him over the line, 'ol Mitchy has gone and scored his second ton of the tour...

CHELMSFORD: As England melted on the hottest July day on record, Mitchell Marsh applied further heat - on Shane Watson, and the selectors.

A second hundred in two tour matches, this time a first-innings effort against a well-credentialled Essex attack, has ramped up his bid for a first Ashes Test berth and left Australian selectors with not just the kind of quandary they like to call a 'good headache to have' but a real dilemma about what to do in Cardiff next week.

Whenever Watson has been struggling in the past the assumption has been that he's held his place because, no matter how long his run between Test centuries might have been, there still wasn't another all-rounder in the country who could touch him.

Well, there is now.

Marsh's second ton of the tour - he was 136 not out after day one of the practice match - was another fine audition, made at a steadier pace than his spectacular ascent to three figures in Canterbury at the weekend but no less impressive.

If family connections weren't enough to get him over the line, 'ol Mitchy has gone and scored his second ton of the tour...

CHELMSFORD: As England melted on the hottest July day on record, Mitchell Marsh applied further heat - on Shane Watson, and the selectors.

A second hundred in two tour matches, this time a first-innings effort against a well-credentialled Essex attack, has ramped up his bid for a first Ashes Test berth and left Australian selectors with not just the kind of quandary they like to call a 'good headache to have' but a real dilemma about what to do in Cardiff next week.

Whenever Watson has been struggling in the past the assumption has been that he's held his place because, no matter how long his run between Test centuries might have been, there still wasn't another all-rounder in the country who could touch him.

Well, there is now.

Marsh's second ton of the tour - he was 136 not out after day one of the practice match - was another fine audition, made at a steadier pace than his spectacular ascent to three figures in Canterbury at the weekend but no less impressive.

Gee

My boy MM is making it hard to leave him out.

Maybe his family connections will get him over the linetongue.png

A tough day for the Aussies with Kent being 3 for 299 at stumps.

It won't be a surprise to some, to see Lyon return figures of 0 for 110 off of 19 oversfacepalm.gif

Thats is terrific news that he has tightened up his bowling and looks to be hitting some form

Ryan Harris is ruled out of first test with injury and retires from Test cricket.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-04/ryan-harris-out-of-ashes-with-knee-injury/6595502

Not totally unexpected I guess. If he was a racehourse, he would've been put down by now.

I can see why the selectors took a punt with Rino, cos when he was up and about, he was elite.

Good to see Pat Cummings in the squad. I think he should've been there instead of Siddle to be honest.

I would go "West Indies" against the Poms and play 4 quicks MJ, Starc, hazelwood and Cummings.

Get the extra overs from the all-rounder and Steve Smith.

A tough day for the Aussies with Kent being 3 for 299 at stumps.

It won't be a surprise to some, to see Lyon return figures of 0 for 110 off of 19 oversfacepalm.gif

The real joy was his final figures...1-200 off 34 overs. The guys is all class

Ashes 2015: Nathan Lyon brushes off tour game mauling by batsmen with 'no consequences'

CARDIFF: Australian spinner Nathan Lyon has shrugged off concerns about the heavy treatment he copped in the tour match against Essex last week, saying it was easy for oppositions to slog him around with no consequences in practice games and expressing confidence it will be a different story in Wednesday's first Ashes Test.

Lyon was targeted on a mostly flat pitch east of London in the Australians' final pre-Test series hit-out, his neck getting as much of a workout as his fingers as he turned to see balls sailing over the rope. One ended up in the River Can behind the ground; another went through the window of the radio broadcasting box and knocked one of the callers off his seat. He took 1-200 in 34.4 overs for the match.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the-ashes/ashes-2015-nathan-lyon-brushes-off-tour-game-mauling-by-batsmen-with-no-consequences-20150706-gi686u.html

Poms are gonna get smashed….unfortunately.

The Aussie cricket team….pretty much my most hated team in sports.

Oh? Why so?

Cheating, sledging, bad sportsmanship to name a few things.

Interesting to note is that many of my Australian friends dislike their cricket team too.

No denying the quality of many of their players though...past and present.

The latest Ashes campaign is upon us.

Australia and England have played each other 15 times in the last two years, with Michael Clarke and Cook captaining their sides for all the matches

Putting that in context: Shane Warne played a total of 36 ashes matches

14 years since Australia last won the series in British soil, so plenty of hope for England

England $4.00 to win

Australia $1.85

Draw $3.50

Oh? Why so?

Interesting to note is that many of my Australian friends dislike their cricket team too.

I admit there have been times where the Aussies have gone over the top and

and could've shown some grace in both defeat and victory.

But singling them out for sledging is a bit harsh IMO. Every country does that,

maybe the Aussies just do it betterwink.png

Accusing them of cheating is over the top though.

Anyway, it kicks off tonight, may the best team win.

Going to be a lot of lost sleep coming up with the days play ending at 3 in the morning.

Are you watching it in Thailand mate?

I'm pretty sure the game starts at 1700hrs and goes until midnight.

Australia and England have played each other 15 times in the last two years, with Michael Clarke and Cook captaining their sides for all the matches

14 years since Australia last won the series in British soil, so plenty of hope for England

England $4.00 to win

Australia $1.85

Draw $3.50

Listened to Boofa on the radio last night.

I'm not sure who will get the nod out of Rogers and Marsh and

Watson and my boy Mitch. I'd be going for Buck and Mitch.

Boofa was asked about Lyon's performance in the last game and

he said he thought Lyon bowled "pretty well"laugh.png

I guess he couldn't come out and bag him though.

The deck looks like it will have some juice in it. Maybe a good toss to lose

for the captains.

England $4.00 to win

Australia $1.85

Draw $3.50

for the captains.

I'd like to see Mitch picked. I know Watson can contain the batsmen with his accuracy, and I reckon that's the only thing in his favor with selectors.

Opening spot is a tough one too. Both players in form.

Watch for the 'family trump card' being played

England $4.00 to win

Australia $1.85

Draw $3.50

for the captains.

I'd like to see Mitch picked. I know Watson can contain the batsmen with his accuracy, and I reckon that's the only thing in his favor with selectors.

Opening spot is a tough one too. Both players in form.

Watch for the 'family trump card' being played

facepalm.gif

Oh? Why so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqgcKtvlW8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwopmHUy6jo

A couple of good examples....maybe just the aussie wicketkeepers are cheats.

Going to be a lot of lost sleep coming up with the days play ending at 3 in the morning.

Are you watching it in Thailand mate?

I'm pretty sure the game starts at 1700hrs and goes until midnight.

On cric hd its got 1700-0300 next to it but that may be the commentary

We are in england,they might still be playing 8 ball overs over theretongue.png

Yes watching in thailand.

Oh? Why so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqgcKtvlW8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwopmHUy6jo

A couple of good examples....maybe just the aussie wicketkeepers are cheats.

Maybe it's just wicket keeperstongue.png

Can't make a case for Dyer but can for haddin.

Seriously though, 1 or 2 isolated incidents shouldn't be sufficient

for call the team cheats.

Matt Prior Cheating:

Oh dear!

Trescothick: We Cheated!

The worst kept secret in international cricket has finally been admitted by mentally ill former English opening batsman Marcus Trescothick:

England cheated to narrowly win the 2005 Ashes series.

In his new tome, Trescothick writes that he was in charge of a conspiracy to use mints to manufacture the shine on the ball to increase the efficiency and longevity of the deadly reverse-swing that rattled the Australian middle-order. No wonder McGrath and co. could not replicate the late swing that Flintoff and Jones regularly produced in the same conditions. The Australians played within the rules. The English did not.

https://nestaquin.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/trescothick-we-cheated/

It will be good to watch.

I hope it will be closer then the last Ashes series.

Hang no I do not

I'd like to see a competitive series resulting in a 5-0 win to Australia

So let's not beat around the bush, the Aussies will win for sure.

It will be good to watch.

I hope it will be closer then the last Ashes series.

Hang no I do not

I'd like to see a competitive series resulting in a 5-0 win to Australia

So let's not beat around the bush, the Aussies will win for sure.

All i feel that is realistic to expect is a marked improvement on the last ashes. Which werent particulary competetive and therefore didnt imo, make the best watching . Win or lose lets hope england have improved and make a more finely

balanced series than the last one.

rijit

Oh dear!

Trescothick: We Cheated!

The worst kept secret in international cricket has finally been admitted by mentally ill former English opening batsman Marcus Trescothick:

England cheated to narrowly win the 2005 Ashes series.

In his new tome, Trescothick writes that he was in charge of a conspiracy to use mints to manufacture the shine on the ball to increase the efficiency and longevity of the deadly reverse-swing that rattled the Australian middle-order. No wonder McGrath and co. could not replicate the late swing that Flintoff and Jones regularly produced in the same conditions. The Australians played within the rules. The English did not.

https://nestaquin.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/trescothick-we-cheated/

Let us not forget the very recent tape on bats scandal to fool the Hot Spot DRS system.

Ashes 2013: Kevin Pietersen denies Australian reports he may have used silicone tape to deceive Hot Spot Kevin Pietersen has angrily denied an Australian report that named him amid "concerns" over silicone tape being applied to bats in order to subvert Hot Spot http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10226690/Ashes-2013-Kevin-Pietersen-denies-Australian-reports-he-may-have-used-silicone-tape-to-deceive-Hot-Spot.htmlpot technology.

Archived